Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:01 am
That one was fine, but one point.

Quote:
And no more offensive or insulting than she was in regards to individuals I concider my Gaian friends. I've had heated debates with Nuri, Tea and Deo... And conversed and discussed with them since I joined Gaia a long while ago.
You're not the incarnation of karma, so don't throw something back just because someone else dishes it out.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:03 am
Starlock
I think it would be wise to throw personal attacks out the window here. Don't do it. I think we all have reservations of one kind or another about SOMEONE on Gaia, but by the Gods... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't slander other people's names. Sure, it doesn't speak well of the target of the slander, but it doesn't speak well of the slanderer either. If you have a problem with a specific person on Gaia, take it up with that person via PM... don't bash their name in an open forum, even if it is a relatively closed guild like this one.

I've got my own issues with how the education on Wicca goes on in the forums, but honestly, in spite of the times they've (and I'm not just using "they" to refer to the people who have been discussed here already, but ANYONE who semi-regularily contributes which is a considerably longer list of people) crossed the line there's been more times when they've done an admirable job. I do think there are valid reasons for concern as Lila brings light to. But as I said, these aren't things that aught to be discussed here. They aught to be discussed with the people in question when they're present themselves to listen, defend, and explain their actions. Text-only communication is nutorious for misunderstandings, so aim to rectify them, not multiply them, eh?

Anyhoo... there's my 2-cents (plus any adjustment for inflation of course... heh)
Thank you Starlock.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:00 pm
Nihilistic Seraph

Quote:
And no more offensive or insulting than she was in regards to individuals I concider my Gaian friends. I've had heated debates with Nuri, Tea and Deo... And conversed and discussed with them since I joined Gaia a long while ago.
You're not the incarnation of karma, so don't throw something back just because someone else dishes it out.

I dont believe in Karma. So I'll do it when I think its due.

However, my intentions werent to be insulting. Just level out her accussations against Nuri, Tea and Deo. Sometimes my manner seems grating, that isnt the intent. My point was that my initial post could not be interpreted as any more offensive than her post whose intent WAS offensive.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:32 pm
Shimegamis_Rage
Nihilistic Seraph

Quote:

However, my intentions werent to be insulting. Just level out her accussations against Nuri, Tea and Deo. Sometimes my manner seems grating, that isnt the intent. My point was that my initial post could not be interpreted as any more offensive than her post whose intent WAS offensive.
Just play it cool, allright?  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Lila Malvae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:11 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Lila and Rage, both of you need to calm down.

Lila, I understand that you don't like your beliefs challenged like that, but there's no need to lose your temper. We come here to share our opinions.

Rage, play nice. This guild is here to share opinions without being attacked, so keep your posts non-offensive.

Did you all even read what I said? I don't care if my beliefs are challenged, hell that's kinda why I post. What I don't like is people dismissing my beliefs as wrong because what I'm opposing happens to be the majority opinion or the better-liked one.
And just so you know, I didn't post to be offensive, I posted so that people who've gotten attacked like that by those three know they're not alone.
If that above quote is all you've gleaned from this, then I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.
The only reason I lost my temper is because I've seen what they've done to myself and others and I get really pissed off that everybody is acting like they could do no wrong, and that I'm completely "off" for saying what I have to say.
Whatever, what I posted wasnt meant for you, for those of you who think of them as your friends, I'm sure they are great friends and I'm not disputing that at all. I'm sure they can be real nice, great, loyal, etc. friends outside of the ED or debate threads.
Again, like I said, the post was for those who've gotten attacked by them and the only reason I didn't pm it WAS in case there are others reading this thread who've had the same thing done to them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:13 am
Shimegamis_Rage
Nihilistic Seraph

Quote:

It's all in perspective, Rage. I'm sorry to have offended you and whoever else might have interpreted it that way. I should have found a better way to communicate my point, but now I honestly don't think that would have worked anyway.  

Lila Malvae

Kabuki Doll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am
In regards to the intent of others, I often find that the internet has made it complicated to really depict how one means to administer thoughts, one way or another, which is why I might suggest that before anyone makes their statement, describe your intent of how you want to relay your message, how it should be viewed, so that it won't be assumed that the statement was offensive and snarky.

Otherwise, I was discussing something with Nihl the other night about how the knowledge of my faith was questioned, criticized, etc. I was brought into Celtic Paganism by birth, but, that does not mean I know every little detail about my faith. Yes, I slack off, and I fall out of practice sometimes. But when my agnostic friend questioned my knowledge, I became very disturbed and angry, and when I tried to argue everything of knowledge on the subject, I was bashed and called an idiot. Since this discussion took place in person, I was capable of relaying my intent. I was angry that someone who even doubts the existance of any greater being had the audacity to criticize me, so I gave my friend a rather abrupt punch to the gut. I know it wasn't the most adult thing to do, but I can't stand to have someone who knows very little of my faith generalize me by some interesting fact they found on Wikipedia.

The topic of this thread poses nearly the exact same thing: question of knowledge. No one wants to be wrong, about anything, really, especially about the knowledge of their faith. But to have your knowledge questioned or your beliefs taken into interest, well, try not to take it as a personal attack.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:04 am
Uhm... (raises hand) everybody is acting as if other posters on Gaia could do no wrong? (points to self as an exception to the so-called 'everybody" and suddenly feels like her posts have been utterly ignored). Truth be told, the volitile nature of those threads is a reason why I've stayed out of them for months... until fairly recently (and I still prefer to avoid them). What better way to shut up the opposition than to make them retreat because they're sick of all the negativity thrown at them? I seriously doubt this was the intention, but perhaps it has been an unintended side effect. I've actually braught this up to them earlier, several months ago. And it does seem to me that, since then, things have improved a bit. But then, I haven't been watching the threads very closely.

I'd bet most of us dislike it when beliefs are opposed as wrong because they're in the minority. However, in this instance, it is *not* the supporters of Dedicatory Wicca who are in the minority. It's the supporters of Wicca being Traditional *only* - it happens to be the case here that the Traditional voices are the loudest and most persistent. Everywhere else I've been in the Neopagan community, the support for Wicca being an open religion has been far, far more dominant.

But to be rather serious, Lila, have you talked about this at all with the people whom you're taking issue with?  

Starlock
Crew

CouncilsMight
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:27 pm
After discussion between the Council of Moderators, this thread is being locked. The discussion and debate have turned into a type of debate that is not suited for this guild. Please try and keep debates friendly and respect the opinions of others in the debate, even if they do not have the same beliefs or opinions as yourself. We do not like locking down threads, but if respect for users is not given and maintained, sadly it is something we must do.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff