Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Just wondering

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Usagi Shojo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:55 am
I was thinking about the relation of Greek mythology to Sailor Moon. Hopefully everyone knows the myth from which Sailor Moon was born. Usagi is a decendent of the Goddess Selena who had fallen in love with a sheperd named Endymion which is in direct relation with Mamoru. Well Goddess Selene was the sister of Helios the sun god. When I watched the pegasus colletion I pretty muched guessed that Helios was a decendnt of the Sun god but found it highly creepy that Chibi usa fell in love with him. I know Naoko probably just used the name to go along with the theme but its still a bit creepy. I just wanted to know other people's opinions on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:23 am
Alright in greek mythology Helios, Selene, and Eos were the three children of Theia and Hyperion. Though the mother of the three is up for dispute, some say it was Styx and others Pallas. Helios was the god of the sun, Selene the goddess of the moon, and Eos the goddess of the dawn.

Selene fell in love with the shepard Endymion and bore him (I think) 50 daughters. But Endymion to live forever had to be asleep forever so Selene would visit his sleeping form to consumate these fifty daughters.

Naoko Takeuchi used the basic tale of Serenity and changed it to suit the needs for her story.

I don't find it too upsetting. But that's probably because I don't think Takeuchi meant for Helios to be brother to Selene/Serenity.

Tea with Cinnamon

kawaiibunny3

8,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:47 pm
and she also used Japanese mythology

in Japanese myths, there's a rabbit who lives on the moon and makes medicine (or rice cakes, depending on which myth u read) and Usagi Tsukino means "Rabbit of the Moon"...yeah, it's not just a cute little name meaning

and of course the ever famous, Bamboo Cutter legend where there's a princess named "Kaguya" who travels from the moon to earth and back

but yeah, i know about the greek myths, after i became a Sailor Moon fan, i became like a nerd and reading mythology and astronomy books when i was a kid neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:50 pm
She also used Roman mythology. Ceres, Vesta, Juno - they are all Roman dieties as well as the names of the Asteroid Senshi.  

Solar Kitty-chan

Syndrama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:48 pm
Solar Kitty-chan
She also used Roman mythology. Ceres, Vesta, Juno - they are all Roman dieties as well as the names of the Asteroid Senshi.

Those are also the names of the 4 largest and most recognizable (by astronomers) of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter. 3nodding Ceres, Juno, Vesta, and Pallas.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:37 am
I never heard of that....(but i am only in middle school now though) but it sound intersting, i have always been into mythology....and anime....  

YoukaiKoneko

User_8572

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:21 pm
If we're going my mythology Artemis has to be a woman and IS Diana, odd much. That makes Luna a lezi kitty then. But alas, maybe its better the way is is...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:54 am
It's only being pointed out Kawaki, that the anime/manga have a base in mythology not that it's strictly off of mythology.

I did notice it. That's one of the things I find fun about Sailor Moon are all the mythological references. ^_^  

A Kiss of Starlight

Sparkly Star

Solar Kitty-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:03 pm
~Alechsa~
Solar Kitty-chan

Those are also the names of the 4 largest and most recognizable (by astronomers) of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter. 3nodding Ceres, Juno, Vesta, and Pallas.

Indeed they are. And Sailors Phobos and Deimos share the names of Mars' moons as well as the sons of Ares' in Greek mythology!

Also, Sailors Chi, Phi, Lethe, and Mnemosyne have Greek roots!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:10 am
YoukaiKoneko
I never heard of that....(but i am only in middle school now though) but it sound intersting, i have always been into mythology....and anime....

So I was reading (or being read) mythology since I can remember  

Usagi Shojo

fuzzy.handcuffs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:23 am
That's pretty intresting  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:50 pm
Pluto and Saturn's powers should be reversed if were going by mythos.  

I am The Compendium

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Damita

Newbie Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:31 am
Some of the myths have been changed a bit. I could tell you just about every story there is and going by the show and comics the characters come from different places or families from the myths.  
Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games