Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I hate felt... and this is why

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Trekkette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:54 pm
So i was working on a project for my Drama culminating assignment (significant historical event dramaitzed-my group is doing the Holocaust) and i was making those Stars of David badges (cuz i can sew and my group members can't). I used yellow felt, and as i was working on the first one, it jammed my (new) machine. this machine was worth $700ish and I won it.
So how can I unjam it?
Anyone know how I can make the Stars more realistic? I have NO money, so all I have to work with are precut bright yellow stars or lighter yellow cotton  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:24 pm
im not sure how to fix your machine... sorry
but to make stars more realistic, maybe make the points thinner and different lengths?
anyways i hate felt too. not sure why, just hate the texture  

buttoneyes

incoherent

Liberal Snowfriend

6,150 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:14 am
Anything is realistic, honestly. If you're not doing it already, most of the stars they made were just 2 triangles... Or the whole star just cut out.

The yellow cotton would work, you don't really need to use the felt if you don't want to.

What part of the machine is where the jam is?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:30 am
Where the needle goes down. A bit of felt is caught there and making a pest of itself.
The problem is that i have to figure out how to attach the stars to our costumes without obvious saftey pins (not allowed in the time and i'm going for historical realism  

Trekkette

firrantello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:03 am
canadian_trekkie
Where the needle goes down. A bit of felt is caught there and making a pest of itself.
The problem is that i have to figure out how to attach the stars to our costumes without obvious saftey pins (not allowed in the time and i'm going for historical realism
you could just tack two or three of the corners down handsewing.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:37 pm
I always hand sew felt,
and as for the machine you might be able to take the plate off the bit where the needle goes in and clear out the fluff (if thats your problem)
other than that take it to be servieced.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Trekkette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:15 pm
firrantello
canadian_trekkie
you could just tack two or three of the corners down handsewing.

That's what I'll have to do, i guess. I HATE handsewing,though

I got my mother to defuzz my machine,though, so that's all good.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:34 am
canadian_trekkie
try using tweesers,or a needle to stick it.  

switchblade12

Trekkette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:25 pm
My group preformed today. I ended up just gluing the star to a pin back. I worked and it looked really good. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games