So, who's going to re-create astrology?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:22 pm
Just an interesting topic.. most of the stars we see at night no longer exist, it's just that we still see the light because they're so far away.

So in many years, the constellations we admire and follow today will be gone. Eventually, future astronomers will have to resort to making new constellations, new zodiac signs. Will it be a public thing? Or will it be covered up by saying "It turns out the zodiac signs were all wrong, these new constellations are the actual zodiac constellations!" and they choose random assortments.

Also, the sun is burning out. It's already halfway done. Granted we still have another few billion years, but what's going to happen when the very force of life itselfs vanishes? The nearest star besides the sun is so far away, that if we rely on it's light, we'll have days that last years at a time, and nights that last the same amount of time. Although, theoretically that's true, it won't happen. The sun is the force of gravity keeping the planets where they exist. Eventually we'll be caught in the gravitational force of another star, and revolve around it. But who's to say that we won't collide with other space debris and other planets as well? Who's to say that this hasn't happened before?

What do you think will happen 5 billion years from now, when every constellation we see now will probably not exist anymore?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:29 pm
That is a very good point. It is true that the stars we see now will no longer be visible. And that the sun is halfway through its life. But considering how fast we have ruined our planet and everything around us, I highly doubt the human race is going to be around even for the constellations to make major changes.

We commit our own fate. So I don't think we'll have to worry about the government making another cover-up for us to not believe. oh, but don't worry, most of the existing cover-ups will devastatingly reveal themselves in the near future.

those are just my visions.

heart Kai  

Sweet Aesthetic

8,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Rakei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:45 am
I don't think it matters, in 5 billion years the human race will either be extinct or already begun living on other planets and then I don't think we'll care much about astrologi.
Also if the sun exploded we'd either be swallowed in the explotion, or when it was gone freeze over.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:20 am
Rakei

Also if the sun exploded we'd either be swallowed in the explotion, or when it was gone freeze over.

actuallly, since Earth is one of the inner planets, we are close enough that the sun will end up pulling us into it. making the Earth burst into another flaming ball of fire, then be destroyed from the explosion.  

Sweet Aesthetic

8,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:56 am
Main thought: we'll probably be leeching off another solar system or be dead by then.

Considering how stubborn the human race is, I doubt that the constellations will actually change their position. New references to star points might be created, but we've kept these since ancient Greece(? I do could be wrong on the civilization; I don't trust my thoughts in the morning).

I agree with SA- Earth will not be caught up in another system's pull, it will be dragged into the enlargening Sun. Even if it was caught in another system's pull, life would extinguish because it would take hundreds/thousands of years for the third rock to have a re-established orbit. We would definitely be hit by space junk during that period, too. Even here, the planet is in constant danger of being struck by massive debris; thanks to our moon and damn luck, we haven't been significantly hit in thousands/billions of years. In 2029, an asteroid is supposed to come so close to Earth that the orbit may be thrown off (or the asteroid's orbit... I wasn't reading very closely this morning because 1. I'm tired and 2. I don't like freaking myself out in the morning).

But if something from the outside doesn't kill us, we or the planet will. We could easily blow ourselves into oblivion with the nuclear weapons we have today, or go techy and use chemical/biological warfare, or even just resort to being guerilla fighters or suicide bombers. As for the planet, we have:

- Mega Tsunamis
- Super Volcanos
- Massive Earthquakes
- Global Warming (okay, so that's our fault, but in a twisted way, it's the atmosphere's way of getting back at us)
- Disease

And all can come with smaller disaster, combinations, and 31 flavors! biggrin

So, yeah... no where is safe. ninja

And don't mind me; I restate that I am tired, not fully functioning, and just plain strange as it is.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:32 am
Jameta
- Super Volcanos

Yeah, who here lives without 1000 miles of Yellowstone?

xp  

Tahpenes

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:05 am
Tahpenes
Jameta
- Super Volcanos

Yeah, who here lives without 1000 miles of Yellowstone?

xp
I might, living in Washington State. I guess there's also one in the Southeastern islands of Asia.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:05 am
Jameta

I agree with SA- Earth will not be caught up in another system's pull, it will be dragged into the enlargening Sun. Even if it was caught in another system's pull, life would extinguish because it would take hundreds/thousands of years for the third rock to have a re-established orbit. We would definitely be hit by space junk during that period, too. Even here, the planet is in constant danger of being struck by massive debris; thanks to our moon and damn luck, we haven't been significantly hit in thousands/billions of years. In 2029, an asteroid is supposed to come so close to Earth that the orbit may be thrown off (or the asteroid's orbit... I wasn't reading very closely this morning because 1. I'm tired and 2. I don't like freaking myself out in the morning).

isn't that the asteroid that is supposed to hit somewhere in a partially deserted part of asia. if that's the one, then i highly doubt it'll do much to the Earth's orbit; most likely the asteroid's.  

Sweet Aesthetic

8,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:08 am
Sweet Aesthetic
Jameta

isn't that the asteroid that is supposed to hit somewhere in a partially deserted part of asia. if that's the one, then i highly doubt it'll do much to the Earth's orbit; most likely the asteroid's.
Here's the article; I really haven't bothered to read it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:13 am
Jameta
Sweet Aesthetic
Jameta

Here's the article; I really haven't bothered to read it. sweatdrop

"Impact would come on Friday the 13th in April 2029."
oh, how coincidentle. way over superstitious(sp?) scientists we have. well, i've actually had some visions about something like this happening, though it actually will hit us. i also read something similar to that article in sylvia brown's book. (though i had my vision first) now, im just confused on whether it is the same one.  

Sweet Aesthetic

8,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:01 pm
Here's an interesting thought:

Scientists have proven that our life on Earth is almost over. We're at the waning session of flourishment in a "Warm Period" of an Ice Age.

It's been proven that the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is essentially true, however it won't happen as fast.

I believe that it's true. However I also believe that we can avoid it, but I'm against avoiding it. If it was meant to happen, let it happen, no?

To those who haven't seen the previously mentioned movie, here's a basic runthrough:

The North-Atlantic(or something similar in name) current controls the weather in the Northern Hemisphere. However, with all the freshwater being dumped into the oceans, it's cause a great decrease of salination (salt and other related substances) that caused a significant decrease in temperature. This causes glaciers to melt and further increase the amount of freshwater (glaciers are made of freshwater, I'm pretty sure). This will alter the North-Atlantic current, which will cause a sudden Climate Shift. This will then cause massive storms to overtake the Northern Hemisphere, throwing us into the next Ice Age.

And this theory has been proven by scientists.

And if we don't die from that, then we'll certainly die from Nuclear holocaust. But that's another story for another thread biggrin

Happy Living!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:16 am
Damn... I didn't think this thread would get so depressing so fast. xp  

Jameta
Captain

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items