Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
ARGH! singular-plural disagreement.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:05 pm
Yesterday in English, we were discussing common grammar errors. Naturally, I didn't have much of a problem with most of the examples, and my teacher therefore disallowed me from answering, to give the other students a chance. (Keep in mind that it's a sophomore class, and I'm a junior). At any rate, one of the examples was singular-plural disagreement, with the following sentence given:
Quote:
Everyone likes their cat.
Of course I'm sure you can easily point out that it should be corrected either as "Everyone likes his or her cat." or "People like their cats." (Later, my mom pointed out that if you were referring to a specific group of people's cat (i.e. "Everyone likes the Smith family's cat", replacing "the Smith family" with "they")

But urgh. It was extremely frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:37 pm
Yeah, I can see where that'd be frustrating. "People like their cats" would seem to be the best one to use to me.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

x-Sadistic_Angel-x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:34 am
That can be frustrating, as there are a number of different possible ways to answer it. People have great affection for a feline under his or her ownership seems sensible to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:28 pm
-Saddistic_Angel-
That can be frustrating, as there are a number of different possible ways to answer it. People have great affection for a feline under his or her ownership seems sensible to me.
Heh, I like that one. Yeah....it's really annoying, because I technically go to one of the best schools in the state, but yet they seem to be nearly illiterate. gonk  

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

Cassandra-neko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:58 pm
Keakealani
-Saddistic_Angel-
Heh, I like that one. Yeah....it's really annoying, because I technically go to one of the best schools in the state, but yet they seem to be nearly illiterate. gonk

I know the feeling.. The high school I went to was supposed to be one of the best high schools (I graduated in '05), the only "A" school in my county (I am in FCAT territory so they grade schools based on their scores), and many of the people I encountered there were quite scary when it came to writing and speaking. Though the FCAT is so bloody easy I don't see how anyone is failing that silly thing. stare  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:00 pm
Keakealani
-Saddistic_Angel-
This is the first time I noticed that we have a mod in our guild. o.o  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Ithaya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:43 pm
'Everyone likes their cat' should be acceptable if it is, like you said, referring to a certain group of people. You shouldn't have to replace the 'their'.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games