Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Love! Love-love-love!! <3!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Indigo rocks?
  Indigo rocks. <3
View Results

KariudoMegami

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:46 pm
I am officially in love with silk. Love! whee Today, I got to go to this wonderful indigo dying workshop, -there weren't too many other people, but it was awsome, 'cause we were all fiber geeks. I found other oddballs who spin chiengora!!! whee blaugh heart -
I learned all sorts of neat stuff, and am also very firmly in love with indigo dye! It. Is. SO! Wonderful! Not only is it a gorgous shade of blue when it's done, -that looks veeeerry nice indeed with white!- the dying process itself is sooo cool! heart
I'm going to quote out an excerpt really quickly, 'cause this handout will explain the whole oxidazation thing alot better than I could.

"Dying with the indigo is complex. The indigo is a very chemically stable substance that will not react with anything. (in other words, it will not bind with cloth or fiber to dye it.) And is not soulable in plain water. In order to produce a dyebath, the indigo must be dissolved in an alkaline solution that has free hydrogen molecules. Hydrogen can be produced by splitting water molecules. The indigo will react with the hydrogen to form indigo white -which is actually, interestingally enough, a sort of limey green.

The cloth or fiber is soaked in this solution, then removed and exposed to the air. The indigo white (which has soaked into the fiber) will react with the oxygen in the air and revert back to the indigo- and turn blue before your very eyes. (Which, by the way, is really neat! It turns from mildly green, to a darker green, to a lightish blue, then to indigo. It's so cool, it looks like magic, or something.) This dye is now very stable and has been known to last for centuries. It also turns darker blue as it gets older!"

And it looks so nice on wool! I wish I had thought to bring some of mine to dye!! whee But, the super-neat thing about silk? Not only is it a wonderfully soft, shimmery, drapey fabric, it takes up dyes like no-ones business!! I have to buy myself some indigo and silk! Oh, and I aquired a indigo plant of my very own! His name is Norman. whee 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:58 pm
Also, for anyone interested in this sort of thing, these are really good reference books. ( I want to buy a couple of 'em! They're excellent!)

Buchanan, R. - A Dyers Garden: From Plant to Pot, Growing Dyes for Natural Fibers

Buchanan, R. - A Weavers Garden

Finlay, V. - Color: A Natural History of the Palette

Liles, J.N. - Indigo Textiles : Technique and History

And, if any of you are interested, Indigo is available from the Dharma trading company, as well as silk. www.dharmatrading.com  

KariudoMegami

Shadows sweet embrace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:08 pm
Oh lord. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:24 am
it's wonderful to see someone so passionate about something like this. heart  

jbeth

Thirteenth Streaker

16,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50

Umberella

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:39 am
Wow. A craft I know absolutely nothing about! Well, I'm a little busy right now with all the other goodies I have to do, but I'll have to research this when summer's over. Thanks!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:31 pm
wow. I thought I knew stuff about dying . . . I now know I'm clueless.  

sakurachan61123

KariudoMegami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:30 pm
sakurachan61123
wow. I thought I knew stuff about dying . . . I now know I'm clueless.
I don't really know much about it either, just what I learned at the workshop, and a few other tidbits. However, dying is awsome, and I'm planning on taking it up. (As if I don't do enouh crafts already. blaugh )  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:06 am
my heck.... rolleyes  

HK123

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:45 pm
That sounds really cool. I want to take up dying my own yarns and fibers sometime when I have the money to afford the materials and the space to do it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:41 pm
Whoa, neat! I would never think the insigo dye was green at a point in time xd xd  

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces