Yea.
  No way!
  Eh...Somtimes.
  Hot Topic?
View Results

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:35 pm
DMSeraphim
Hot Topic has decent body jewelry and the like. I've never bout makeup from them and have had problems with they hair dye they sell. I do most of my clothing shopping online anymore. The HT I go to isn't overrun by preps like I keep hearing, and the employees there are mega awesome, so for that it's pretty wort it. And I have gobs of fun taking my pious little Christian friends in there by force. XD

I just used some comb-in hair dye I got from them. It's not bad, and pretty easy to use. I guess my only complaint is that it's too temporary and it wears off a little too easily.

One of my friends dragged a Bible-thumper in there, and he said she shrieked! Before they dragged her in, she was all "Nooo, there are evil energies in there!" Hahaha . . . b***h stole my boyfriend, and her family and stupid church cult all believed she wass doing the right thing because I'm Pagan and she was "saving him" from me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:44 pm
Dead Ed
Freedom Fire
Veruniel
I got ticked off at Hot Topic in 2003. That's when the two in my city both stopped carrying the things that had drawn me in in the first place — velvet dresses, long skirts, corsets. Frankly, I've seen nothing in there in the last three years that fits my personal definition of 'goth' (though I'm aware that there are others which are equally valid).

I have nothing against the store — they sell what makes money, and more power to them — but there's nothing in it that I'm interested in buying.

I agree, I wish they'd sell more classic romantigoth clothes. But I got a really nice corset for Christmas that came from Hot Topic, it's beautiful! They still have corsets, just maybe not as many as they used to.

Nowadays I think Hot topic is catering more to the punkish goth crowd than the classic goths.

A punkish goth is a classic goth. But they really aren't trying to "cater", so much as "Milk every penny they can"

True, I suppose that's what happens when a store is owned by the freakin' Gap. Well, even though they do try to keep up with trends, I usually manage to find good stuff that fits my taste in clothing.  

Freedom Fire

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:49 pm
GilAskan
Takkun8989
Hot Topic caters to whatever the most popular type of deviant style is at the time, so poseurs can go there and buy whatever and look like a real deviant. They can't sell unpopular deviant clothing because if they did they couldn't make any money. Sad, but true.

Well, just look at the store's name. Hot Topic. Not "Underground High-Fashion" or "Rebellious Gear". They're a MAINSTREAM store selling POPULAR music and POPULAR, MAINSTREAM fashion.

Thing about the name Hot Topic, I don't think it has to do with trends, I think it's supposed to have something to do with statements that stir up heat and controversy. Think "heated debate" or "hot-button topic" more than Paris Hilton's catch-phrase "that's hot." I mean, they do sell mainstream fashion, but it's alternative mainstream. Think of it this way: Hot Topic is to punk clothing as Green Day is to punk music, or Hot Topic is to goth clothing as MCR is to goth music. It may not be what true hardcore/underground punks/goths call "real" punk/goth, but that doesn't make it bad.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:06 pm

Fux this account

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:13 pm
Freedom Fire
GilAskan
Takkun8989
Hot Topic caters to whatever the most popular type of deviant style is at the time, so poseurs can go there and buy whatever and look like a real deviant. They can't sell unpopular deviant clothing because if they did they couldn't make any money. Sad, but true.

Well, just look at the store's name. Hot Topic. Not "Underground High-Fashion" or "Rebellious Gear". They're a MAINSTREAM store selling POPULAR music and POPULAR, MAINSTREAM fashion.

Thing about the name Hot Topic, I don't think it has to do with trends, I think it's supposed to have something to do with statements that stir up heat and controversy. Think "heated debate" or "hot-button topic" more than Paris Hilton's catch-phrase "that's hot." I mean, they do sell mainstream fashion, but it's alternative mainstream. Think of it this way: Hot Topic is to punk clothing as Green Day is to punk music, or Hot Topic is to goth clothing as MCR is to goth music. It may not be what true hardcore/underground punks/goths call "real" punk/goth, but that doesn't make it bad.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm simply saying that it's selling mainstream fashions and popular music. That's not a bad thing, I just feel the need to stress that what they're selling isn't all that rebellious because of the hordes of mallcore who worship the store like it invented punk.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:28 pm
Okay so it can be taken that way. But do you realize how wicked it is to go into a Hot Topic and see moms with their kids? To see people dressed in "preppy" clothes going in there?? And even black people? Black people (no offense) aren't usually into goth stuff. I love HotTopic. So screw whatever negative opinions have been thrown out there about them. Because I love 'em xp  

ofmoonandstars

MysteryCross

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:54 pm
It f**k'n rocks dude! I love thier apparel, but I have to admit that some of it is way too girly to be at Hottopic.... XP Some of it is jus plain horrible; thats why I guess most preppy-rich girls go there now..... XP [GAG!!!] Anyways, its a great store.... [grins]  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:24 am
ofmoonandstars
Okay so it can be taken that way. But do you realize how wicked it is to go into a Hot Topic and see moms with their kids? To see people dressed in "preppy" clothes going in there?? And even black people? Black people (no offense) aren't usually into goth stuff. I love HotTopic. So screw whatever negative opinions have been thrown out there about them. Because I love 'em xp

I was in there once and I ran into a friend and her Mom bought herself a pair of pants and a shirt. mrgreen  

TheWitchGotRobin

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:07 pm
I hate when preppies go into Hot Topic. I might've already brought this up, but it is really annoying. They only buy shirts with either a) bands they've never heard of, or don't like, just to impress people and make the "hot rocker guys" they like think they have good taste in music; b) shirts with bands like Fall Out Boy or Good Charlotte, then these people wear them and think they're so "hard core;" c) shirts from the "funny" section, but are not funny and are actually very immature; d) the sluttiest clothing they can find; e) posters of bands they don't really like, but have one or two hot members. Or they buy nothing at all and just comment on how weird everything is, well within earshot of the people that wear stuff like that.

If I already ranted about this, forgive me. I'm very forgetful sometimes.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff