Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The "KING'S" English?! No, no, NO! There is no English King!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falcon Samilka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:52 am
The King's English on the front page should be replaced by the Queen's English. Because there is no sodding King of England at this time. The English language is currently under the Queen, as are the English people. No King. Grargh. King bad. ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:32 pm
The Queen's English is the dialect in which "thy" and "thou" are used if I recall correctly. I may be mistaken though.  

ZigguratII

Miakou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:40 pm
Falcon Samilka
The King's English on the front page should be replaced by the Queen's English. Because there is no sodding King of England at this time. The English language is currently under the Queen, as are the English people. No King. Grargh. King bad. ninja

"King's English", referring to the fact that when this form of the English language was perfected, England was under the rule of a King. If the language advances further, it may be changed to the "Queen's English", but until then, it's the King's.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:29 pm
There's a queen now, but there used to be a king. Hence, Olde English could be referred to as King's English.

Don't ask me, I didn't write the thing.

Might I also point out that English is not restricted to the small island that is England.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Litia_Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:57 pm
Lol, agreed w/ the above.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:51 pm
Here, we do in fact call it the Queen's English.

As for it not just being for England... The largest area it is spoken as a first languange is America, correct? Therefore, if you call it the President's American, then fine- but you're calling it after the monarch of England, for whom, if you're going to use said monarch's name as a way of talking about the language, you should at least be respectful enough to get her gender right. I mean... She really doesn't look like a man. eek

And, re-reading that, I realise I make no sense. It IS 4AM, though...  

Falcon Samilka

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:15 am
Wow...That is a strange concept...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:47 am
I always wondered why it was "the King's English". I thought, what King?  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Rhiannen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:22 am
I'm not totally positive on this, but a good guess would be King Alfred, since, at that time, the most "elite" dialect was around Winchester where he ruled. Later, just before the Norman invasion, after which everything was given a French Twist, the capital was moved to London, but the dialect remained in force.

Of course, that English was more than a bit different from what we speak now, and there are many difference between British and American spellings even now.

At least this guild is keeping us safe from those who commit daily regicide. razz  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:23 am
Rhiannen
I'm not totally positive on this, but a good guess would be King Alfred, since, at that time, the most "elite" dialect was around Winchester where he ruled. Later, just before the Norman invasion, after which everything was given a French Twist, the capital was moved to London, but the dialect remained in force.

Of course, that English was more than a bit different from what we speak now, and there are many difference between British and American spellings even now.

At least this guild is keeping us safe from those who commit daily regicide. razz
Kill the King! Spill his words! Cut his vowels!

xd

(Kudos to anyone who gets the reference.)  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Rhiannen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:21 pm
*Curtsies to DarkElf27*

Then kudos to you, Sir!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:14 pm
DarkElf27
Rhiannen

xd

Eh, Lord of the Flies? I get kudos. I believe it is the English under what it was developed, not the current ruler of England, now Great Britain. So, unless Elizabeth managed to change our language, then I believe it's the King's English, so to speak.  

Zealot of Insanity

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:09 pm
I just put it like that because it sounds fancy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:08 pm
DarkElf27

xd

...why does that make me think Monty Python?  

Sachiko13

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff