Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
meditating

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Un-Hugged Child

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:20 pm

ok... i am perfectly new to the whole Pagan thing... granted i had plenty of interest when my bro join a coult ( i cant spell or name that thingy but i hope you all know what im talking about)... from what i get out of meditating is that is it wonderful for relaxation and concentration... but i cant concentrate on one thing at a time.. i just cant blank my mind... if i do then the most random things pop into my head... for crying out loud i have my own conversations in my head... even arguments (which sometimes i lose... and i am being dead serious about that).... can i get a few suggestions??... oh and btw this might affect it but i dont really do anything but try to stare at one thing and blank out... i have no problem about staring at it... its not like i have ADD or something its just i cant blank out...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:48 pm

there is no need to "blank out" just focase on one think be it the flower pot in front of you or the oragin of hate just try to stick to one thing, if you mind starts to wander start over and try agian

MOD66

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:08 pm

Twack is right, there's no completely "blank out." To do that is actually quote hard. I can do it for maybe five, ten seconds before something pops in.

Try thinking about something you find beautiful. Have it fill your mind, and try only think about it. Or, another technique to train to focus your mind would be to invent something in your mind. Like a foreign fruit from Jupiter or something. See the shape, colour and feel how heavy it is. Smell it, try to keep every sensation vivid in your mind. Once it's created in your mind, start playing with it. Cut it open, see the juices flow, or not flow. Bite into it and see what your fruit tastes like. Try to keep it as vivid as possible.

Credit for the technique goes to Scott Cuningham.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:42 am

ok... thanks much ... that will help lots smile

Un-Hugged Child

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:35 am

The point of meditation isn't precisely to "blank out" but more along the lines of being relaxed and more in synch with your environment. Put another way, the point is to turn off what seperates you from everything else (which most distinctively are the self-centered thoughts running around your head). You cease to be an independent, discernable entity (the existence of individuality can be disputed by some philosophies) and simply EXIST. Not as a human. Not as a collection of mostly water molecules floating within a bunch of lipid bilayers. You simply ARE.

Personally, I don't usually have much trouble at all "blanking out" and I'd disagree with Nihl in that this state doesn't exist. The trick is that you must not THINK about not THINKING or else you are STILL thinking. You simply stop thinking and become a passive observer, dissolving what makes you an individual and synthesizing with your environment. You let the wind flow over you and become one with it. You feel the Earth beneath you and become one with it. You feel the sun's rays on you and become one with them. Not sure if that'll help any. Just because it works for me dosen't mean it will for you. There are MANY different meditation methods and techniques; each probably gives you slightly different results.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:06 am

Sorry, typo sweatdrop I meant that there's no need for complete blanking out at first.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Esteloth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:26 pm

I'm not sure if this would be considered meditating... but I have found that swimming helps me be "one" with the water.

(chlorinated water... with too much ammonium... and bugs and... kids... but details... I think I just killed the image)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:58 pm

Esteloth
I'm not sure if this would be considered meditating... but I have found that swimming helps me be "one" with the water.

(chlorinated water... with too much ammonium... and bugs and... kids... but details... I think I just killed the image)
Hehehe...just got a nice middle image of you swimming around very blissfully, thinking I am at peace with the water, with the worl-DON'T RUN!

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Esteloth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 am

Nihilistic Seraph
Esteloth

Hehehe...just got a nice middle image of you swimming around very blissfully, thinking I am at peace with the water, with the worl-DON'T RUN!

I'm actually slowly losing my voice from the yelling and the lack of sleep (and since I have about 20 reports to finish for later today... I'm doomed to be voiceless...)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:58 am

I had a rather eccentric professor this year who was a part of a meditation group on my campus, and he strongly encouraged all of the students working on a thesis to join it, since it was great relaxation. As strange as he often times was, I think he gave some of the best meditation advice I've ever heard.

He said the point of meditation wasn't to block out the world, simply to come as close as one possibly could to shutting off their consciousness. He said it was unavoidable to stop thinking entirely, but it was imperative to simply let the thoughts pass rather than to dwell on them. I used to have the same problem of trying to clear my mind completely, and the harder I tried, the more I thought about things, and the further away I got from my meditations. Now that I've followed his advice and acknowledged each thought, let it pass on its own, I'm not having as much difficulty.

Ah, the unexpected things one learns in a senior seminar on The Faerie Qveen and Paradise Lost. whee

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:46 am

Ahh, good old Spencer. My dad was studying that, and was pissed off because he liked the writing, but hated it because the whole thing was Spencer toadying to the Queen >.<
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:22 pm

I agree with Starlock. If you keep thinking about trying not to think, then you're still thinking. Don't try so hard and just go with the flow of things.

CONSCIOUS POWER

Gerra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Nihilistic Seraph
Twack is right, there's no completely "blank out." To do that is actually quote hard. I can do it for maybe five, ten seconds before something pops in.

Try thinking about something you find beautiful. Have it fill your mind, and try only think about it. Or, another technique to train to focus your mind would be to invent something in your mind. Like a foreign fruit from Jupiter or something. See the shape, colour and feel how heavy it is. Smell it, try to keep every sensation vivid in your mind. Once it's created in your mind, start playing with it. Cut it open, see the juices flow, or not flow. Bite into it and see what your fruit tastes like. Try to keep it as vivid as possible.

Credit for the technique goes to Scott Cuningham.

Scott Cuningham is so cool
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:32 pm

I usually rotate elements to become one with, spreading my concious through them.
I'll warn people about this, if your try to precieve to much your head will put a massiv block on you basically telling you your mind was not created to comprehend more than a certain ammount of information at a time.

Basically what I'm saying is once your concious is spread through an element say air like I did some days ago, it's important to not try to precieve the breathing of all things surrounding you, once you start you'll understand that an element goes through change too, atleast in my experience... sweatdrop
going through the body of something air becomes fire (respiration/photosynthesis) and from that comes water and earth, in a sense.

blanking completely out is not a nice experience, that's like switching your mind off and becoming something inanimate, like a chair.

Goddess Hekate
Crew

DR490N

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:48 pm

Chibi_Revenant
ok... i am perfectly new to the whole Pagan thing... granted i had plenty of interest when my bro join a coult ( i cant spell or name that thingy but i hope you all know what im talking about)... from what i get out of meditating is that is it wonderful for relaxation and concentration... but i cant concentrate on one thing at a time.. i just cant blank my mind... if i do then the most random things pop into my head... for crying out loud i have my own conversations in my head... even arguments (which sometimes i lose... and i am being dead serious about that).... can i get a few suggestions??... oh and btw this might affect it but i dont really do anything but try to stare at one thing and blank out... i have no problem about staring at it... its not like i have ADD or something its just i cant blank out...

there is no need to blank out. what i tend to do is concentrate on breath counts. i use the 3 in, 3 hold, 3 out, 3 hold method, which usually works well for me. if images and things pop into your mind it's as simple as ignoring them and continuing to concentrate on the breathing. if all else fails, continue concentrating on the breathing but also push the image to the back of your mind. remember: theres plenty of time to think about things later on.
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games