Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that irritate you when not written right Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:37 am
Baby_dragon.06
crying I am sorry, but i am one of those persons. I don't do it on purpose I just forget sometimes. I'm sorry. I'm sorry on behalf of everyone who does it. BUT WE DON'T MEAN TOO!!!!!

It's okay by me. I do spell some words wrong myself. I still ahve to used the dictionary on some words that I can't spell right. And I'm an adult on here. I'm older than most of you.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:39 pm
I hate it when I watch people write spelling words in front of the class; once or twice I've had a person write "stomik" or "stomick."  

thunderandlightning

Sovea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:56 pm
This may've been mentioned already, but I hate it when people write "alot". A lot is NOT a word! It's a phrase. Think of it this way: you wouldn't write "alittle", would you? It's A Little and A Lot. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:41 pm
Zilch
This may've been mentioned already, but I hate it when people write "alot". A lot is NOT a word! It's a phrase. Think of it this way: you wouldn't write "alittle", would you? It's A Little and A Lot. Thank you.
That also irritates me. People need to learn that "alot" is not how you spell A Lot. 3nodding  

notoriuspoo

Saffyre Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:32 am
There are no particular words that bother be when spelled incorrectly. Any word that is spelled wrong irritates me. It's not that hard to pick up a dictionary or look up a word online if you're not sure how to spell it. I can't take someone seriously when they misspell words or don't use proper punctuation. I can understand a typo here and there if you hit a wrong key, but there's no excuse for spelling something wrong and just leaving it like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:13 am
Zilch

You know what irritates me most about 'alot'?
Most of the people that I correct never care to listen.

gonk  

Marcus McFlufferson

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:08 am
SeeBeeFlee
There is another small issue concerning the possessive that pops up quite often, and it irritates me to no end. If a person has a name that ends in an "s", then you still need to add another "s" to make it possessive. You don't just tack on the apostrophe and call it done, unless the thing that the person is possessing happens to start with an "s" or something sibilant.

It's James's chair, not James' chair, damn you all.

Isn't the only case where the apostrophe stands alone at the end of a word when the word is in plural? Just wondering, I might be mistaken, my brain has a bad cold right now sweatdrop

Basically, obvious spelling or grammar mistakes irritate me. Always. Especially when the apostrophe is misused.

Also, I've seen quite a lot of "grammer" instead of "grammar" lately, what the hell is up with that? confused

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:19 pm
Words That I HATE that are always spelled wrong:
Please;Spelled as "pleez","pleaz",or "plz"(text talk)
Supposed;spelled as "suppost"
Always;spelled as "alwayz"  

Trinity Fields

Sovea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:08 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
Zilch

You know what irritates me most about 'alot'?
Most of the people that I correct never care to listen.

gonk

Unsurprising. No matter how persuasive I am in my A Lot Is Not A Word speech, no one seems to care.

I am also unable to convince people that "minuet" is not a measure of time consisting of sixty seconds.

Perhaps I don't yell loudly enough. stare  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:13 pm
notoriuspoo
Zilch
That also irritates me. People need to learn that "alot" is not how you spell A Lot. 3nodding

It doesn't enrage me quite as much as "should of", but it's up there!

...Still, I want to punch people who write "should of". I want to punch them right in the brain. You are saying the word "should've", the contraction for "should have", and in this case it's not a phrase, it's a word!

How strikingly opposite. ninja  

Sovea

i n s a n e c o c a i n e

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:32 pm
Dude.
I suck at apostrophes.
gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:38 pm
I apologize in advance for the long rant you are about to read sweatdrop :

I HATE it when people spell:

Please as pleaz, pleez or plz.

Boy as boi.
I mean, it's the same number of letters in the word.
Why not just spell it correctly?

Thank you as Thanks as Thankz, tankz, tnkz or ty.

No problem as np.

Whatever as w/e.

Is as iz.

Two, too or to as 2.

For as 4.

Hate as h8.

Like as lyke.
Again, it's the same number or words, DAMMIT!

I also hate it when people can't be bothered to put apostrophes.
WTF?
Why not just take a few seconds to put them?
scream

-sigh-
Poor English Language.
IT HAD BEEN BEFOULED! crying  

pollymollyjune

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items