Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
so that's where they go...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold
  +10
View Results

KiraLight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:22 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

haha, sorry, this just made me laugh.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:51 pm
'engrish'?  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:17 pm
DarkElf27
'engrish'?

The word "Engrish" is used to refer to the English spoken by Japanese people (sometimes also other non-native English speakers), which often have mistakes due to translation errors and grammatical differences.

The word "Engrish" comes from the way native Japanese speakers pronounce the word "English". There is no L sound in Japanese, so Japanese people learning English often pronounce the L sound as a sound halfway in between the English L and R sounds. That makes the word "English" sound like "Engrish".  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:12 pm
hmmm...interesting...  

fluffypants

Rukoric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:26 pm
You know... I don't think that it would be a good idea to put the Japanese characters above the English characters if it's a Grammar Crisis Room.

Wouldn't that just make things worse?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:39 pm
Yes, I suppose that would. A grammar crisis room sounds like something the Japanese would come up with. They have some hilarious s**t in that country. *says this from the computerized, music playing, toilet she's currently sitting on*  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

dark_elf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:55 am
Yami no Hitokiri
Yes, I suppose that would. A grammar crisis room sounds like something the Japanese would come up with. They have some hilarious s**t in that country. *says this from the computerized, music playing, toilet she's currently sitting on*
rolleyes
IS it true that all, or most, Japanese people are taught English since a young grade? And that if you or I were to go over there from the US we could speak to them and they would understand us and vice-versa?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Engrish.com is seriously one of my very favorite sites. Some of the jokes are not very appropriate, but most of it cracks me up!  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:13 pm
dark_elf
rolleyes
IS it true that all, or most, Japanese people are taught English since a young grade? And that if you or I were to go over there from the US we could speak to them and they would understand us and vice-versa?

What I read is that they're taught how to read and write the English alphabet, but not actually how to speak English.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
dark_elf
rolleyes

What I read is that they're taught how to read and write the English alphabet, but not actually how to speak English.
That depends on the school, I think. Upper grades and certain types of schools, those not geared to math and technology majors for instance, would have classes to teach multiple languages. I could be wrong.  

SofiaDragon

Interesting Citizen

6,650 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100

stuntmonkey

Dapper Entrepreneur

8,175 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:55 pm
razz  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:53 pm
hmm, that's weird. I have never heard of that before.  

Klandy

Red-Chocolate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:00 pm
I've never heard of it...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out