Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.
FAQ Thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:37 pm
After talking with Jameta, I volunteered to take on the project of putting together an FAQ thread, as we're starting to see, from time to time, a number of repeated topics on the main board. Our goal with this thread is simply to offer a resource for those who choose to seek it, and to hopefully cut down on some of the repeat threads.

I'd like to invite anyone who would wish to contribute to do so; it's a work inprogress, so topics will be added, added to, resources presented, etc. all over time.

Current Topics:

Altars
-How to Set One Up
-How to "Hide" Your Altar (Permanent vs. Temporary Altars)
More on Paganism
Coming out of the Broom Closet
-General
- How To

Pending Topics:
Connecting with the Devine
Discrimination

If there's something not here and you thinkit should be, give a hollar. I'd be glad to stick it up, or add it to my to do list.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:40 pm
Altars

“I only have limited/no access to altar tools or space; what can I use as substitutes?”

Altars neither be complicated or permanent. A cleared space on a dresser top with a couple of candles, a censor, oil burner, tart burner or a dish of potpourri can serve as a permanent altar, and a box, small table can be taken out and used when necessary.

When contemplating your altar, the first matter you need to consider is does your life style and living space permit for a permanent altar? Do you have a space where it can be left to sit undisturbed that won’t hinder your daily routine? Are there small children about that will have access to it regularly? Are you concerned over it being discovered by someone in the home? If space, children, or discovery are an issue you should strongly consider a temporary altar; they are just as effective, and set up can easily be incorporated as a part of your ritual.

Now for tools. Tools can be expensive, hard to come by, or both. Plus, for you closet Pagans out there, they’re horribly conspicuous. Remember always: You don’t have to have everything immediately, and the gods help those who help themselves so don’t be afraid to improvise. Make what you can for yourself if you’re at all handy or crafty. What you can’t, watch for at yard sales, flea markets, and dollar stores. You may not find exactly what you want, but you can find suitable alternatives.

Examples:

White and Black Handed Knives: Easily found at dollar stores, and will run you $1.00, or sometimes they’re on 3/$1.00. They’ll have plastic handles, and likely be butter knives, but they’ll suit your purposes perfectly.

Athame: One of your dollar store knives would work well, or a letter opener. I use an ornamental letter opener shaped like a sword with a sheath, and it works great!

Wand: This is perhaps the easiest tool to make. Go for a walk, and grab a suitably sized and shaped stick; take it home and do what you want with it. Peel off the bark; colour it; tie ribbons around it; paint it; carve it; burn symbols on it… You’re choices are unlimited! If you’re not handy, improvise. I’ve had a friend use a nail file, and I’ve used pencils.

Cauldron: Speaking from experience, this was the hardest tool for my altar to find. Cast iron is expensive, heavy, and not easy to find; I had a copper one fall into my lap from a yard sale, so keep your eyes peeled. Until then, a small pot or a dish will suffice (although I’d refrain from burning anything in it if it’s glass.).

If you don’t want to have to pack and unpack your cauldron every time you plan to work a ritual, find a use for it when you’re not working magic; use it to grow a plant; place some jewellery in it or similar items that can be quickly and easily removed. Just be sure to consecrate it before use in ritual.

Chalice: Again, the dollar store is your friend. Wine glasses are fantastic, as are martini glasses. Pick one that appeals to you.

Divine Representations: If you choose the represent any form of divinity on your altar, please give some thought as to how you wish to represent them. Candles work very well, as do stones, natural objects, or anything that represents to you the entities you want to incorporate. As this is a personal touch, you’ll have to come up with what works best for you.

And there you have the a working altar, and you’ve spent perhaps $4.00. Candles and incense are going to add to that cost, but here you have tools that you can use or reuse. When not in use, store them carefully and somewhere that they’re accessible on for ritual on the fly. Just be sure to consecrate each item before use.

"How do I hide my altar?"

Having a temporary altar is a perfect way to keep it away from prying eyes. If you’ve chosen not to, bare in mind when selecting your tools that they’re going to be open to not only the view of people in your home, but to fiddling. Altars attract attention, usually because so much time and effort goes into erecting it and making it appealing and that kind of work does not go unnoticed; people will stop to look, pick things and manhandle them. Be ready for that, and select your tools and adornments with care. If you’re using the top of a dresser in your bedroom, pick tools that aren’t going to look completely out of place there: A small rose bowl holding flowers will work for a cauldron, or other similarly shaped items; a nail file for an athame; etc. However, if you have to hide your altar, perhaps you should reconsider your reasons for having one; they’re a useful part of magic, but not absolutely necessary at all times.

Temporary Altars

There are a number of reasons that a temporary altar is very useful, and it should be noted that they are just as effective as a permanent altar.

Pros
-Do not inhibit space in small living spaces, making space for day to day living requirements
-Prevents tools and other altar objects from being broken; accidents happen, especially when pets, small children or visitors are involved.
-Prevents the space from being profaned; there’s nothing worse than someone disrespectfully manhandling and playing with your altar set up, requiring you to later cleanse and consecrate the items before using them again.

On a personal note, I can speak from experience how irritating have a personal altar can be as a university student. It typically stands as a focal point in your room, so any gusts will immediately be drawn to it. They also seem an ideal place for guests to place drinks while partying, and things get broken when alcohol is involved in large quantities.
-It prevents discomfort, especially if you are sharing a living space with others who may not be as comfortable as you are with you with your spirituality. You’re entitled to your faith, but so are others and it’s neither fair nor prudent to force your beliefs on anyone else.
-It’s portable!

Cons
-They are time consuming; you must allow time before ritual for set up, and it must be torn down again afterwards.
-Storage can be an issue, in that all items must be placed somewhere, and it helps when they’re together. They must also be conveniently placed and in a location where they will not be broken.
-Tools can become stagnant, so to speak, and will need to be cleansed more frequently.
-Finding a suitable flat surface to house the altar can be troublesome.
-Sacred Space will have to be created every time you erect your altar.

Definitely think all of this over before you decide what will best meet your needs, as the most important function of an altar is that it’s a functional part of your practice. See what meets your needs, and always remember: You can always alternate between the two. No pun intended. wink  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:46 pm
More on Paganism

"I’m new to Paganism and I would like to learn more"

Great! It’s fantastic to want to learn more, but phrasing your question like that makes it very difficult for us to help you. It’s like saying you want to know more about astrophysics, but have done no studying on it. Before we can help you, you need to be a little more focused.

Why are you interested in Paganism?
Start off by telling us why you’ve chosen Paganism, why it appeals to you. That at least gives us a little bit of direction in helping you get started, and means you don’t have to go sifting through information that has no appeal to you.

What do you already know?
If you’re asking for more information, you must know at least a little. Don’t be embarrassed because you feel you know so very little; we all started somewhere, and it takes time to learn. If you can provide us with a general idea of what you know, we can get the more interesting and helpful information without telling you what you already know.

How did you first hear about Paganism?
Was it a friend? Family member? Random internet search? Hollywood Blockbuster/Hit TV Series inspired? It’s not necessary, but it certainly gives us an idea of where you’re coming from. If you think it can help, let us know.

What are you hoping to learn and why?
Again, you already know a little bit, and you’ll have a general idea of what you want to learn. Maybe you’re simply curious, or perhaps you’re considering pursuing a new path spiritually and that’s going to influence what you want to know.

Why Paganism?
Exactly what is says: Why does Paganism appeal to you. There are so many wonderful faith systems out there, but Paganism must have resonated with you for a reason. So why? It doesn’t have to be an earth shattering or profound reason, but it again helps to provide a bit of direction and makes our job a bit easier.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:55 pm
Coming out of the “Broom Closet”

There comes a time for many Pagans when they feel the need to come of the proverbial closet and share their religion and spirituality with their family, friends, coworkers and peers. The most common question we at Scared Sources are presented with is how to do that?

This is a difficult question to answer, as it requires the consideration of a number of other factors.

Why?

Why is it that you seeking to express yourself openly at this time? Honesty is always wonderful, and many people dislike the feeling of hiding something this important from their family and friends; some feel sneaky for doing this.

If you’ve recently decided that Paganism seems to be the path for you, and you simply want to share this information, it may not be the best time. In all honesty, many people change their minds many times over before finally finding a spirituality or system that works for them; since you’re inevitably going to be asked questions, it’s best to have some time and experience on your side so that you can answer them. It provides you with credibility, meaning people are far more apt to take you seriously than treat it as a phase, and you may be the first source of accurate information these people have encountered. Paganism is still widely misunderstood, and you’re going to need to be able to communicate precisely what your path is and isn’t to people who may have been previously misinformed.

Another no-no in revealing your spirituality is for sensationalism; say you come from a strictly Christian family, community, or school. Openly presenting yourself as a Pagan is typically a mistake, as it opens the door for a great deal of discrimination and discord. No, you do not deserve to be discriminated against, but your spirituality is also a personal matter, and not everyone needs to know. You need to protect yourself, first and foremost and coming out in such a manner seems more an act of rebellion than an affirmation of faith.

Are you ready?

It seems like a pretty silly question, but it’s really not. Coming out about being Pagan comes with responsibilities, and you need to be ready to meet them. Not everyone in your life is going to accept your spirituality; people have been thrown out of their homes and shunned by members of their family and community over it, and there are worse consequences out there.

Things you need to consider before you come out are:
1. Are your family and friends open enough to at least acknowledge and respect your decision?
2. Are you living in conditions that could be hindered by non-acceptance (such as still living at home with a family that would not accept this decision)?
3. Do you know enough to be able to provide reasonable answers, resources and information when questioned about your new path?
4. Have you examined the possibilities of placing yourself in harms way by coming out?

If you cannot be confident in your answers to these questions, you may wish to reconsider for the time being. The same goes for answer ‘no’ to questions 1, 3, and 4 and ‘yes’ to question 2.

There is nothing that says you have to come out at this exact moment, and some times it’s best to wait. Sometimes until you have your own living space. If you feel you absolutely have to tell members of your family or friends, try to remember that you don’t have to tell all of them; tell people you can trust and you know will be tolerant. Life is problematic enough without inviting more trouble.

And always remember, you can join online groups such as this one if you need to communicate with other Pagans. Keep in mind, however, you run the risk of someone looking over your shoulder and finding out before you’re ready.

'How should I come out of the Broom Closet?'
My first recommendation is “slowly”. Tell the people closet to you, and then leave it at that for now. These are the people that it is most likely to affect in some way or another, and their reactions will give you a gauge on how others may take the news. They may also have suggestions on how to go about telling others in the future, but let’s stay with your nearest and dearest for right now.

Try sitting down one on one, or perhaps with a small group (such as both parents at once) and simply tell them that you’d like to discuss something with them. Be calm, and begin by explain your interest in Paganism: What it means, what it is and isn’t (if necessary), and perhaps you should consider why. It’s easier with some people, and simply stating “Hey, I’m a witch/Pagan/what have you.” is both easy and sufficient. Some times it’s not. It never hurts to have information there for them, such as books you’ve found to be helpful and informative.

Take it slow. This can be a lot of information for a person to take in at once, so don’t try to force information. If they’re uncomfortable, let the subject drop. They may bring it up again later, when they’re ready to talk more, or it may have to be you. Just give them time to think on it, and be ready to answer questions at any time during that wait. If the subject is deeply troubling to them, or results in any sort of argument, let it drop. Completely. It’s important to feel accepted and supported by your family, but that’s simply not always possible; don’t force ideas on them that they are uncomfortable with.

Once you’ve managed this, begin to consider who else you feel should know. And the word “should” is very important here: Your faith is your own; it’s your business, it’s your practice, it’s yours. Not everyone needs to know, or even wants to know so be careful when making your decision. You’re not being sneaky or dishonest by not telling people; you’re being prudent and responsible.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games