Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Parents and Wicca Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have this problem?
  Yes
  No
  I used to..
View Results

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:18 am
Azareas: No offense, but at this stage you haven't even laid eyes on Wicca, nor experienced its' rites, nor even touched the smallest part of its' ritual resonance. You say it 'pulled you in' - but you don't actually have any experience or knowledge of Wicca. What you think is Wicca could be completely different from the actual faith. You simply aren't in a position to know.

You feel you have a calling - that's understandable. But it is called -Seeking- for a reason - you need to actually look at things around you, and not just the thing you've fixated on. If you give yourself tunnel-vision, you may find you miss important events and experiences along the way.

Seeking is a journey. You don't know how long it may be, either. Take the time examine your life, and the myriad spiritual possibilities that exist. A life unexamined isn't worth living.

If you don't experience other paths, and other possibilities, you can be setting yourself up for a harder fall. Wicca doesn't always work out for people. Sometimes it isn't the path they thought it was, or they're just not suitable to work in it. Sometimes you don't find a coven. And when you learn that you still have that aching call to find what is right for you, and it isn't what you wanted or hoped it was, and you know -nothing- about other paths to examine, you may find yourself in a position to regret.

And at the very least, getting an education in comparative religion will keep you from misidentifying people's religious paths with negative stereotypes.

-----------------------------------------------------
As for me, I didn't tell my parents until I was in university. I hadn't intended to, but I had a fact sheet on my door since my bloody 'neighbours' were catty 17-year old girls who kept writing slurs or erasing my whireboard messages. So. She found out, and wasn't really upset. My father didn't care one
way or the other, so it's really never been an issue for me. My father's never been religious, and my mother only recently became so, and it's not Abrahamic itself. So that's likely a factor - my choice wasn't reactionary to a previous faith, or an attempt to establish personal autonomy over my parents.

When I lived at home what I did was practice subtly, outside quite often. I was allowed candles, which was nice, but I had nothing resembling an altar of any kind. I had stones. And I carried my working tools in a leather bag when I'd go out to perform rites. I never did it inside. Books stayed at school or I read them in the library without taking them out. If I had notes, I kept them in a plain, non-descript binder like all my classwork. I wasn't in the closet, just as I am not now, but at the same time I didn't see the need to broadcast it everywhere. I certainly never felt the need to 'come out' to my parents over it.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:07 am
Morgandria
Azareas: No offense, but at this stage you haven't even laid eyes on Wicca, nor experienced its' rites, nor even touched the smallest part of its' ritual resonance. You say it 'pulled you in' - but you don't actually have any experience or knowledge of Wicca. What you think is Wicca could be completely different from the actual faith. You simply aren't in a position to know.

You feel you have a calling - that's understandable. But it is called -Seeking- for a reason - you need to actually look at things around you, and not just the thing you've fixated on. If you give yourself tunnel-vision, you may find you miss important events and experiences along the way.

Seeking is a journey. You don't know how long it may be, either. Take the time examine your life, and the myriad spiritual possibilities that exist. A life unexamined isn't worth living.

If you don't experience other paths, and other possibilities, you can be setting yourself up for a harder fall. Wicca doesn't always work out for people. Sometimes it isn't the path they thought it was, or they're just not suitable to work in it. Sometimes you don't find a coven. And when you learn that you still have that aching call to find what is right for you, and it isn't what you wanted or hoped it was, and you know -nothing- about other paths to examine, you may find yourself in a position to regret.

And at the very least, getting an education in comparative religion will keep you from misidentifying people's religious paths with negative stereotypes.

You're right. I guess what pulled me in was a meer form of Paganism.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:04 am
Azareas Aquarinus
But it isn't. There's more to Witchcraft thank making people's bones break or whatever.
My apologies. I didn't know she did.

Who cares what I practice? What was insulting is this dismissive rudeness. You just treated Vodou the way your parents treated Wicca- and if you find their attitude insulting towards Wicca, why would it be okay for you to treat Vodou that way?
Breaking bones? Wow. rolleyes I don't even know what to say to that. eek  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:22 am
i don't know if i posted here. i probably did a really long time ago and forgot.

i got interested in paganism when i was like 12,and my mom didnt see any issue with it. she was interested in paganism at my age as well.
she gave me my first book on solitary witchcraft actually. i don't know if it was hers when she was studying,though.

Bad Quality Serena

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:25 am
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
i don't know if i posted here. i probably did a really long time ago and forgot.

i got interested in paganism when i was like 12,and my mom didnt see any issue with it. she was interested in paganism at my age as well.
she gave me my first book on solitary witchcraft actually. i don't know if it was hers when she was studying,though.

That's really nice. I wish my Mama was that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:27 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus
But it isn't. There's more to Witchcraft thank making people's bones break or whatever.
My apologies. I didn't know she did.

Who cares what I practice? What was insulting is this dismissive rudeness. You just treated Vodou the way your parents treated Wicca- and if you find their attitude insulting towards Wicca, why would it be okay for you to treat Vodou that way?
Breaking bones? Wow. rolleyes I don't even know what to say to that. eek

I'm so sorry. I'm stupid to have said that.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:40 am
Azareas Aquarinus

Thank you for the apology.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:42 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

Thank you for the apology.

You're welcome.

I really am sorry. I shouldn't have said it and I misjudged your faith. I'm such a hypocrite. I've misjudged, which is what I hate the most about people.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:28 am
Azareas Aquarinus

You're welcome.

I really am sorry. I shouldn't have said it and I misjudged your faith. I'm such a hypocrite. I've misjudged, which is what I hate the most about people.

I believe you- and thank you.
I think that it would be good for you to adopt a different approach to paganism and your spiritual seeking in general.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:12 pm
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

You're welcome.

I believe you- and thank you.
I think that it would be good for you to adopt a different approach to paganism and your spiritual seeking in general.

Yeah. I've tried my local library for some books. I managed to order in some books by Scott Cunningham.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:37 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

Yeah. I've tried my local library for some books. I managed to order in some books by Scott Cunningham.
That isn't quite what I meant.
When I've read your posts- I get some impressions about how you learn, and a lot of it comes across like you have a collection of ideas about how things should be- and if people tell you things that don't match up, you get flustered.

When I was in that place back when I first started seeking, three things helped me a lot- making a blank slate, learning how to really examine what was being said and by whom, and letting go of what I thought I wanted so I could figure out what I really needed. I don't know if these will help you as much as it helped me- but it couldn't hurt.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:42 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

That isn't quite what I meant.
When I've read your posts- I get some impressions about how you learn, and a lot of it comes across like you have a collection of ideas about how things should be- and if people tell you things that don't match up, you get flustered.

When I was in that place back when I first started seeking, three things helped me a lot- making a blank slate, learning how to really examine what was being said and by whom, and letting go of what I thought I wanted so I could figure out what I really needed. I don't know if these will help you as much as it helped me- but it couldn't hurt.

Thanks! Now I realise how I see should see things.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games