Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
any helpful tips for a nooob???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like the belle epoque from Knitty?
  yes
  no
  indifferent
View Results

Maki Minakoaino

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:17 pm
I'm thinking of making THIS. But, I want it to have a smaller neck. I know that means adding stitches, and as I'm fairly new to the entire knitting thing, I have no clue how to alter patterns. Does anyone have any helpful tips?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:36 pm
Maki Minakoaino
I'm thinking of making THIS. But, I want it to have a smaller neck. I know that means adding stitches, and as I'm fairly new to the entire knitting thing, I have no clue how to alter patterns. Does anyone have any helpful tips?
The easiest way to make a neck smaller is to work longer before starting on it. That way, it will rise higher and still be wide enough to go over your head. Take a measurement around the widest part of your head, then add up the measurements around the neck and see how much you can add before it's too small for your head.
knitty
AT THE SAME TIME when work measures 23.5[24, 24.5, 25] inches, tightly BO center 49 sts in 1x1 ribbing and continue to work each side separately.

This is where you will have to implement your changes.

Or if you're absolutely unsure, you could knit it as directed then make an insert for it.  

gemini6184

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:24 am
Maki Minakoaino

Gemini's suggestion is the way I'd go with it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 am
ok, so...would i have to add rows there, and reduce the number of short rows after the BO in the pattern to keep the upper part the right length?  

Maki Minakoaino

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:31 am
Maki Minakoaino
ok, so...would i have to add rows there, and reduce the number of short rows after the BO in the pattern to keep the upper part the right length?
That's what I'd do. Just keep knitting as the pattern suggests, but instead of stopping at 23.5[24, 24.5, 25] inches, continue until you feel that's where the neck should start shaping.

BTW... I haven't seen that pattern on Knitty. It's really pretty! eek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 pm
i KNOW it's really pretty!!! woot! that's why i want to make it. it's SOOOOOO my style!

...ok....so now that i know what to do, i have to find yarn for it....probably needles too sweatdrop

I was thinking a cotton yarn so i could wear it in the hot hot hot summers and very mild winters here in texas...

Why is cotton expensive anyway?

any suggestions as to a nice and inexpensive cotton?
edit: and what weight would you say the suggested yarn is in the pattern?  

Maki Minakoaino

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:33 am
Maki Minakoaino
i KNOW it's really pretty!!! woot! that's why i want to make it. it's SOOOOOO my style!

...ok....so now that i know what to do, i have to find yarn for it....probably needles too sweatdrop

I was thinking a cotton yarn so i could wear it in the hot hot hot summers and very mild winters here in texas...

Why is cotton expensive anyway?

any suggestions as to a nice and inexpensive cotton?
edit: and what weight would you say the suggested yarn is in the pattern?

Cotton is deffinately cooler in summers, but you're going to be mighty disappointed with something that large since cotton sags and droops as you wear the item; drastically. I'd go with a cotton/wool blend. If you get something with about 30% wool in it, it should be enough to keep it's shape without too much sagging, but isn't enough to make you hot.

I'm not familiar with that specific yarn, so I don't know the weight. Seems to be a DK or light worsted, but you're going to have to do a guage swatch to be sure.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:10 am
It took a while to find the brand of yarn used. Seems they discontinued it. But it was a fingering weight mohair blend. The Peruvian Collection Baby Silk is only $2.50 a ball and is comparable to what the pattern maker used. Also Peruvian Collection Pure Alpaca works too at $3.98 a ball. (There's only one color for the Pure Alpaca, but it says new colors are arriving on Aug 2nd.)

Edit: I'm not sure cotton would be a good choice for that particular top. As mentioned, it does sag. sweatdrop Mohair is a very light and delicate yarn, so it'd be perfect for summer. Might want to try a mohair blend. It would also make it look fuzzy and soft. 3nodding

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 am
One thing I do when I'm knitting or sewing, and want to alter a pattern or make my own is make a smaller version. Think doll size (a larger doll, like 18", not barbie). It's like a thumnail, just to see if it'll work. Of course, your number of stiches will be different, but you can say, "Okay, I need to take this in here, there's too many stiches here, I need to add some here, etc."  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games