Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Comment

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nik Rane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:33 am
Mmk, well, I've been gone for..almost a year from gaia, so, this account is new, not me stare . But, I need to know this: When did people start using the obscene sex terms "First to stick it in" "First to pull it out" "AHA!! I stole your comment virginity!!" and so on..?
Or, to put it more in a more fashionable question: When did people start being so damn immature?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:56 pm
I quite agree. Maybe it is just my religious conservative background but it has often bothered me how lightly the importance and beauty of sex is taken in language today. I even catch myself doing it... calling people pimps and such. While not as descriptively vulgur as some phrases, if you think about what you are really saying... yuck. It is sad to see the degradation of language.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:14 pm
I agree it's pretty perverted now, which is one of the reasons I generally avoid the regular forums. However, I don't think this generation of teens is much worse than we were. Being a bit pervy goes with the territory of being 12 - 15. That's the age when most young people are curious about sex and being pervy about it is part of exploring and finding out. I was like that when I was a teen and still am to an extent, though I've toned it down a lot. It's just a phase and most of them will grow out of it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:33 pm
I'll admit - I'm 16 - I make a lot of sexual jokes... but I try not to be so poor about it... I don't like the "pimps and hos" attitude... it's abhorrent. I feel totally disgusted that people use those terms so lightly... it's very disrespectful, and I feel the media - Mtv, etc - picking up on that terminology is degrading and it's taking us backwards, socially... I do talk a lot about sex... but I don't tend to do it in a way that's "cheap", or at least I try not to... another thing is the use of the word "******"... gah. And "gay", too. I can't stand when people use gay as an insult... and as willing as I am to swear, I rarely say anything other than "The 'n' word" in reference to the first one...

Poet`s Playground

Nik Rane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:43 pm
Poet`s Playground
I'll admit - I'm 16 - I make a lot of sexual jokes... but I try not to be so poor about it... I don't like the "pimps and hos" attitude... it's abhorrent. I feel totally disgusted that people use those terms so lightly... it's very disrespectful, and I feel the media - Mtv, etc - picking up on that terminology is degrading and it's taking us backwards, socially... I do talk a lot about sex... but I don't tend to do it in a way that's "cheap", or at least I try not to... another thing is the use of the word "******"... gah. And "gay", too. I can't stand when people use gay as an insult... and as willing as I am to swear, I rarely say anything other than "The 'n' word" in reference to the first one...

Yes..I personally hate the "n" word..my reasons will stay personal, I also have a very close friend that's gay..I dont take that "insult" lightly and would punch people in the face if I could.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:05 pm
It's a side effect of all the sex in our culture.

I write some controvertial things to make some money on the side, romantic and downright slutty things for a local rag, but even I get offended by the casual use of sex sometimes.

Sex is a spiritual thing for me, something special and private.  

SofiaDragon

Interesting Citizen

6,650 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100

stuntmonkey

Dapper Entrepreneur

8,175 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:53 pm
I hate it when people call other people gay if they are retarded or something. Oh yes, I really hate it when people use so called gangster talk. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:33 pm
stuntmonkey
I hate it when people call other people gay if they are retarded or something. Oh yes, I really hate it when people use so called gangster talk. talk2hand
Just for the sake of argument, I don't really like the word "retarded" being used as an insult. To be honest, most of the people and ideas that are stupid enough to be called retarded are a serious insult to people who are mentally diasbled.

Maybe its just because my roommate and I work with the disabled (it is her JOB, I just help out), but I like some of her kids a heck of a lot more than I like a lot of "normal" people.

But I hate "gay" used as an insult as well, my aunt is lesbian and I disagree with her views, but I love HER and don't want to hear people use gay as a word for stupid or something. It's ridiculous and insulting.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Nik Rane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:55 pm
Kipluck
stuntmonkey
Just for the sake of argument, I don't really like the word "retarded" being used as an insult. To be honest, most of the people and ideas that are stupid enough to be called retarded are a serious insult to people who are mentally diasbled.

Maybe its just because my roommate and I work with the disabled (it is her JOB, I just help out), but I like some of her kids a heck of a lot more than I like a lot of "normal" people.

But I hate "gay" used as an insult as well, my aunt is lesbian and I disagree with her views, but I love HER and don't want to hear people use gay as a word for stupid or something. It's ridiculous and insulting.

Thank you...that's how I view most of it..the retarded jokes are getting old, and people need to stop using them. Period. The gay jokes..I have a very close friend, she's a lesbian, and i've gotten in trouble for hitting ALOT of people for using that insult sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:11 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I agree it's pretty perverted now, which is one of the reasons I generally avoid the regular forums. However, I don't think this generation of teens is much worse than we were. Being a bit pervy goes with the territory of being 12 - 15. That's the age when most young people are curious about sex and being pervy about it is part of exploring and finding out. I was like that when I was a teen and still am to an extent, though I've toned it down a lot. It's just a phase and most of them will grow out of it.
Well, I'm fifteen, and I don't see myself making lewd comments. Nah. Those people just lack common sense.  

Zealot of Insanity

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:55 pm
My fiance's sister was a lesbian. I say was because she stopped when the she fell in love with the MAN of her dreams. Many people insult her, and I haven't gotten into trouble, but I've beaten people pretty badly for insulting her. I can't stand the perverted terms.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:44 pm
I hate it when people are so perverted and think of sex as just something for them, something fun. They disrepect woman so badly but talking of them as a sex toy. Sex is about love, making love in a passionate way, and not just out of lust. Agree?  

Litia_Echo

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:07 pm
As to the actual question, people were doing this since before I joined, two and a half years ago.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:45 pm
I don't think that such comments and pervertedness neccesarily go with a specific age range, though it may be much more common at certain ages.
And... I agree. I think people who insult things/people/ideas or whatever by calling them "gay" are ignorant. stressed
I'm highly open-minded about many things, including sexual preference, and I have many friends who are gay or bi, so that makes me even more mad for that reason.

NOTE: I do not ever call anything/anyone "gay" in an insulting manner, but I'm not gonna go into exactly what kinda stuff I say, so that I'm not claiming to not be a hypocrite or anything.

Dystopia Lycanthropia

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff