Was this disgussion ok???
  NO!!!
  It was ok..i guess...
View Results

Darhota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:12 pm
Phaeton
Kura Ookami
It's human nature to believe in things. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it explains things to you. You can't explain EVERYTHING scientifically. Oh, people can TRY, but they can't. And when worst comes to worst, they tell you you're crazy. In any case, you need to believe in something, otherwise things are going to be bleak, and you'll have nothing to hold on to.
That's not entirely true. Children aren't born believing in deities or anything of the sort. They're taught by their parents and naturally accept what their parents teach them.

I can tell you there are plenty of non religious people who don't think things are bleak and have nothing to hold onto.

yeah im athiest and im pretty happy with my life,if theres a problem i dont feel the need to believe in anything but myself to get past it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:22 pm
Why do people need to believ in something?
It is in our nature. Most people need to believe in something, they hope and an explanation of why bad things happen to them, they need to believe that after they die they will be given their just reward in some kind of heaven and that those who you hate or have done something against you are going to be give punishmentin this life or in the next. It gives people hope and a feeling of security that they desperately need. It also gives meaning to their lives. It helps people think that they are here for a reason a plan that was traced by someone else who cares about them and will not let nothing happen to the for a reason. It gives them the feeling that they are just one in a world of millions and that there were brought to thios world with a mission. This, of course brings yet another reason why people feel the need to believe in something, they want to feel loved. Most religions give people the feeling that somebody loves them unconditionally and even if they fall somebody will still forgive them.

I think that this can be achieved without the aid of religion there many ways to do this, like seeking the answers yourself, but religion is by far the easiest. Why waste time thinking about how you were created if you can just say that a superior creature or entity made you and be just as happy? Why ponder on solucions to the problems of the world when you can just think that it is the design of some greter being or it is a signal that the world may end soon? (I know that those questions may seem offesive or sarcastic to some people and that it's not my intention I just wanted to present clearly why I think that going with religion is easier than trying to explain things on your own.)

There's one more option though and this one may be easier or harder (depends on the person). The third option is not caring. Instead of trying to find answers and hope trough religion or meditation you can always just don't care. Don't think, don't ask questions to yourself or anyone else about the meaning of life and such. For some people this may be easy but for the majority of people it is not.

Sorry for the long rant and thank you for reading it completely. Also remember that this is only my humble opinion.  

Medy_Senpai

Heterosexual Fa gg ot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:39 pm
People are very weak-minded now-a-days. They need something to believe in and look forward to or else their entire way of living falls apart. They need something that tells them that they are worth something because they can't think that on their own.
User Image

[.Julie Booly.]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:08 pm
Well... In my opinion people believe in God/Gods because they want to explain the things they don't understand.
That or the idea of "having" to believe in something if you want to have hope is a retarded idea spread by religious extremists so you'll believe what they have to say about god...
Or something like that...  

Vincent Daemon

wiffle bean

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:57 pm
Phaeton
Kura Ookami
It's human nature to believe in things. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it explains things to you. You can't explain EVERYTHING scientifically. Oh, people can TRY, but they can't. And when worst comes to worst, they tell you you're crazy. In any case, you need to believe in something, otherwise things are going to be bleak, and you'll have nothing to hold on to.
That's not entirely true. Children aren't born believing in deities or anything of the sort. They're taught by their parents and naturally accept what their parents teach them.

I can tell you there are plenty of non religious people who don't think things are bleak and have nothing to hold onto.

That's not true at all. My parents raised me Methodist and I came out becoming a Buddhist.

I do however agree with you on the fact that non-religious people don't see the world as bleak.

You don't have to believe in something to get by in life. Most people choose to though. I don't think it's a bad thing. If you don't believe in something then you don't, as long as your happy in your life.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:44 am
I think that everyone has to be believe in something- NOT neccesarily religion. It can be in yoru own self-worth, in humanity in general, meritocracy etc. but i do think that everyone has an underlying belief structure otherwise, what's the point of striving for anything?  

Jesm_mule

Aerwynn Venezuela

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:07 pm
When it comes to religion I feel it's because we need answers to the big questions in life like, "Why do we exist?," "What happens to us when we die?," etc. Not knowing them can be frightening so believing in spirits and religions can be incredibly comforting. It's a beautiful feeling knowing that someone is there watching out for you and that loved ones are at peace after death.

As for a general belief in something, it gives us reason to keep living. If we didn't think there was anything to achieve in life or no reason to have to live nothing would ever get accomplished and life would be dull and depressing.

That's the best I can come up with.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:31 am
I think that the point of religion is to pull people through difficult times with the knowable there is some kind of afterlife aka "heaven". Also I agree with Medy_Sempai that many people use religion as an easier route out of problems. For example it is easier to say that some higher power created you then wonder why you were created. Sorry this was the best I could come up with. I'm just 13.  

Anime-love-L

x ladiiextiin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:56 pm
its what they grew up with. and passed generation to generation.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:42 am
I'm usually an empathetic Agnostic. I don't know, and I don't care. My lack of faith in either side of Schroedinger's cat type questions doesn't affect my life, other than allowing me to not pop a blood vessel every time someone expresses their own opinion on subjects such as the existence of God or an afterlife. Honestly, if there is some deity that will make me suffer just because I'm unwilling to blindly salute them, I don't want to worship them. They aren't deserving of my love if they're so conceited, and see me as nothing more than one more clump of flesh that they think should bow down to them, just because they want me to.

That said, sometimes a person needs to make up something to hold on to, a shoulder to cry on, so that they won't give up. Sometimes a person can become so desperate that they start holding onto some cosmic entity that is completely illogical in moments of sanity.  

Calliope Solipsism

Wheezing Nerd

territh^^

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 pm
Has not read other people's reply yet but people think you should believe in things because

right now no one is sure how life begins (Erm I mean like past lives thing?)
and after life works.

And people don't like it when people think opoosite of each other? D:  
Literate Hell

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas