Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
spelled VS spelt?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you really get 10G from answering polls?
  Yes.
  Psh, crap if I know.
View Results
VickoRano rolled 1 20-sided dice: 15 Total: 15 (1-20)

VickoRano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:21 pm
I went back to the forums recently and found a "literate" thread called "We're Not Stupid! surprised " I just HAD to check it out. Honestly, I dont even know why. I always seem to make so many enemies in Gaia, nowadays...

I went in and, automatically, my eye caught "advertizing" and my brain said "wrong?" I decided to let them know by typing this:

"So is this just a thread to talk in and be happy? 4laugh Yes, yes?

By the by... advertise is spelled with an 's' not a 'z'... sweatdrop Kinda' makes this "literate" chat thread look a little non-literate. No offense... sweatdrop "

I was completely sincere and happy. I posted it--the only reason being that I am used to the American spelling. At the time, I didn't realize (realise?) the differences of word spellings between the Brits and Americans... because I'm slow.

My face is promptly ripped off--almost immediately after posting--and I freak out; I end up laughing (nervous habit) and stormed out of my room to go splash water on my face... meanwhile, my friend responds for me! 4laugh

wikkedwitch (Kiesa Amalla) says:

""It can be spelled both ways?" That's not entirely true. The original, correct spelling is "advertise." Just because it's been misspelled often enough for "advertize" to be in common usage doesn't make it right. It just makes more people wrong.

As far as "spicing up a boring word," the English language is not your playtoy.

"Pirahnas," darling. I realize, however, that typos happen. I realize they're embarassing. Still, it's much more admirable to accept corrections gracefully than to fly off the handle, no?

Oh, and personal threats are so very passe. You act like your little collection of ones and zeros can somehow speed through the internets, short-circuit my computer, jump out of my monitor, and cause me actual distress and/or harm.

Being a tweenybopper with way too much time on your hands and a laughably short temper doesn't make you a god, it makes you rather pathetic.

Something tells me that this is the most literate post ever to touch this supposedly literate thread. Treasure it.

"Get the ******** out of my thread?" Gladly. Clearly, your so-called "literacy" stems from ostracizing and personally attacking anyone who dares to be more intelligent than you.

Feel free to "ban" me or put me on your blacklist or whatever you do to try to preserve your Nazi-like rule. I won't be back to darken your internet-doorstep again.

Good evening."

Good fun was had by us.

Although, I got about 5 PMs repeatedly telling me that it can be spelled either way, one from a person who told me that the post was funny, and someone sent me the Gaia Gold Generator (to which I deleted because, although I had no knowledge this existed, it seemed fishy enough to delete.)

I have about 20 new enemies, or more. 3nodding I have a knack at getting people to hate me, by being COMPLETELY misunderstood!

Does anyone here get the same type of treatment in the forums?

STUPID QUESTION. xd

(PS... I'm rolling a 20 to see if I win DnD. Because, apparently in my twisted mind, you can WIN DnD!! Just being silly.)

EDIT:
Depending on my level, I think I marginally won DnD.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 pm
What's a nice thread like this doing buried in the subforums?

Anyway, to answer I always used "spelled", but one could just as easily used "spelt", which is the more formal spelling. One can use "dreamed" or "dreamt", yet one cannot use "sleeped" instead of "slept". No consistency, huh?

As for "advertising", I've never even seen it spelled with a Z. There are a few minor differences between British and American English, but they're just cultural and regional. I have no problem with either. If I see "color" spelled as "colour", I simply figure I'm reading the post of a Brit. No problem at all.

The only time I get confused is when I must remember that french fries are called chips and a diaper is called a napkin.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

VickoRano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:07 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
What's a nice thread like this doing buried in the subforums?

Anyway, to answer I always used "spelled", but one could just as easily used "spelt", which is the more formal spelling. One can use "dreamed" or "dreamt", yet one cannot use "sleeped" instead of "slept". No consistency, huh?

As for "advertising", I've never even seen it spelled with a Z. There are a few minor differences between British and American English, but they're just cultural and regional. I have no problem with either. If I see "color" spelled as "colour", I simply figure I'm reading the post of a Brit. No problem at all.

The only time I get confused is when I must remember that french fries are called chips and a diaper is called a napkin.

A nice thread! Thank you! heart

This was actually supposed to be in the TXT TLK forum... but I figured it shouldnt because it isn't a TXT TLK problem.

This is more like a horror story. I made about 20 enemies that night.

Go here and read:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14489273&page=7237
I deleted the original posts, though. And, honestly, I blocked so many people that I'm not sure if that's the correct place... but you'll see something. You'll see. crying

I hope.

Napkin...

I'll remember not to ask for a napkin if I go to England, then. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:59 pm
I definatly know the feeling. I have also made quite a few enemies thanks to my a**l grammar and spelling issues.

Note: Your friend is most definatly my new hero. That was fantastic! rofl

MissStephanie

Mekaama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:12 pm
Yami no Hitokiri

These different forms are merely there to be exploited by poets for rhyme scheme and meter, if you ask me.

As for dealing with people who "fly of the handle," it is so pleasurable to remain literate and cheery, like a computer voice recording on the other end of the phone that tells you "if you want this, press 1 now." Yes, you will actually cause them harm. Their arteries will suffer as their blood pressure sky rockets. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:59 pm
See, the main forums are full of complete idiots. Typically arrogant ones. I tend to stick to guild communities, because there's a greater degree of control, a tighter-knit society, where such jackassery [Possibly not a word, but I've heard it as a spoken term] is not tolerated.

And yes, the difference in spelling between British and American is hit a lot. By the way, though, I put it through dictionary.com, and it does NOT list advertize/advertizing, but switches over to the version with an 's', so I think you were right that they had spelled it incorrectly.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

[Riyuu]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:32 pm
I can't believe that I actually read most of this.

Usually I get lax.

But, I read it. Hah.

It was amusing, in a way.
I almost always feel as though fighting with people like that is a bit pointless, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:34 pm
DarkElf27
See, the main forums are full of complete idiots. Typically arrogant ones. I tend to stick to guild communities, because there's a greater degree of control, a tighter-knit society, where such jackassery [Possibly not a word, but I've heard it as a spoken term] is not tolerated.

And yes, the difference in spelling between British and American is hit a lot. By the way, though, I put it through dictionary.com, and it does NOT list advertize/advertizing, but switches over to the version with an 's', so I think you were right that they had spelled it incorrectly.

The main forums are mostly filled to the brim with people who are under the age limit set for gaia.

I remember going into towns & being greeted by a group of 8 yr. olds.

[Riyuu]

Ind1v1dual

Invisible Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:55 pm
Literates who do not check their grammar.
I guess we can't all be perfect.
-laughs-

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces