Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Specialty Yarn Uses

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do I make??
  Scarf
  Sweater
  Socks
  Skirt
  Jacket or Wrap
View Results

Naialyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:34 am
Okay, so I bought this gorgeous hank of hand spun yarn where it goes all chunky and skinny as the yarn goes on. It's a combo of red, orange, and pink. Now I don't know who thought to list the stuff as chunky yarn, but I the only way I could have it fit the gauge I need for a sweater would be to knit it on size 0's!! scream So the question becomes.. what to do with it now??? gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:26 pm
Use largish needles and knit a stole or shawl with it maybe. I'd use a simple stitch pattern so that the yarn is the focus. I wish I was a better knitter so I could help you more.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:27 pm
Naialyn
Okay, so I bought this gorgeous hank of hand spun yarn where it goes all chunky and skinny as the yarn goes on. It's a combo of red, orange, and pink. Now I don't know who thought to list the stuff as chunky yarn, but I the only way I could have it fit the gauge I need for a sweater would be to knit it on size 0's!! scream So the question becomes.. what to do with it now??? gonk

How many yards of it do you have? I made a kick-butt hat by crocheting thick-and-thin chunky yarn. And I made an even more kick-butt scarf from weaving it. If you have a sweater's worth, you might considder the clapotis shawl on knitty.com. I have a friend who knit that up with a thick-and-thin yarn and it's just beautiful.

Scarf: http://www.icehex.net/crochet/images/norowovenscarf2.jpg  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:30 pm
If you've got enough yarddage for a sweater, you might consider making the Sonnet pattern on Knitty. It says it works well with a chunky, funky yarn. 3nodding  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:11 pm
I would go with a scarf or a shawl or something like that... anything where it doesn't matter if your yarn makes weird and uneven stitches.

And yarn is usually weighted as the heaviest weight on the yarn. Like, I spun up a yarn that ranged from worsted to super bulky, but I would just call it a super bulky yarn.... because I'd need to use needles for a super bulky yarn to knit it up.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:53 am
Poncho? 3nodding  

gemini6184

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:59 am
How much is there? How much did it cost, and where is it from? If you're unhappy with the yarn, you might be able to do a yarn swap for something you would like. If you've got a sweater's worth, I know there's a couple of sweater's in Teva Durham's loop-de-loop that use thick-and-thin yarns. One I remember in particular was thick-and-thin stockinette, with a cast-on-cast-off stitch that looked like dreds hanging from the neckline and hem. Sounds weird to describe, but looked awesome. Also, is this yarn a single (one ply)? If so, plying it back on itself usually evens out thickness considerably. This is much easier if you have a wheel, but the thing you have to watch is that the color will not be the same - more mottled, with the two strands. If you decide to ply and have any questions about it, drop me a line smile I can't spin at the moment (tendonitis, the knitter's curse), but plying hardly counts! ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:02 pm
Actually, now that I think about it, if you had a wheel you could re-spin it (assuming it's a single) into a finer yarn, and then ply it however you liked. I've done this with lion brand's Bolero, it made a good sock yarn when done.  

Zahra Ovaci

NightRainSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:45 pm
That is a problem.... gonk *mind went blank*

Becuz of those colors u mentioned, I would totally suggest a shawl, wrap, or a scarf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:10 pm
I'd suggest a scarf, hat, shawl, or even fingerless gloves would be sweet  

bunnehdeo

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas