Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
how do you make a hat base?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dont Touch Wet Paint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:51 pm
i've tryed to make a hat but i ended up with a funky looking thing that wasn't to good so do any of you guys know how to make a hat base?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:45 am
shadow_fox_kokoru
i've tryed to make a hat but i ended up with a funky looking thing that wasn't to good so do any of you guys know how to make a hat base?

Knitting? Crochet? Sewing? Are you looking for a hat form to stretch it out over? Gunna need a few more details before we're going to be much help.  

Catcheen
Crew

Dont Touch Wet Paint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:46 pm
Catcheen
shadow_fox_kokoru

Knitting? Crochet? Sewing? Are you looking for a hat form to stretch it out over? Gunna need a few more details before we're going to be much help.
ok sorry i didn't even think about that well um....just out of material i think fless (sp?) just to sew it together not much els to know about this lil problem i guess...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:07 am
shadow_fox_kokoru
Catcheen
shadow_fox_kokoru

ok sorry i didn't even think about that well um....just out of material i think fless (sp?) just to sew it together not much els to know about this lil problem i guess...
Fleece? Took a while to figure that one out. sweatdrop  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Dont Touch Wet Paint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:03 pm
so what would i do does anyone know this answer?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:29 am
find a sewing pattern 3nodding  

gemini6184

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:37 am
I could help you if it was knitting or crochet, but I'm sewing stupid. I would haul myself to the local fabric store and look through the sewing patterns there since I know fleece is pretty popular right now and I know there are several hat patterns out there that call for it. You might be wanting to do this all freehand, but with a pattern, it'll give you some idea of construction and then you can modify that to your heart's content.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:52 pm
thank you i will try it as soon as i can  

Dont Touch Wet Paint

Iyou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:08 pm
Yeah, just find a hat pattern with a style you like and go with that. 3nodding I bought a See & Sew hat pattern for a bucket-style cap for a little less than three dollars - try to avoid the more expensive patterns if you can, because they tend to throw in a lot of frills you don't really need if you'd just like to make a hat. Plus, if you want to make your own pattern, you don't feel so bad about butchering a $3 wad of tissue paper than you do about a $15 wad of tissue paper. xd

I actually adapted my own hat pattern from the See & Sew one that I bought - I wanted to get a four-panelled hat pattern rather than a bucket hat one, but I couldn't find any within my budget so I settled for the cheapest hat pattern I could get. When I got back home, I made a bucket hat from the pattern and then cut the poor thing into four equal pieces, just like a pie. x3x; I roughly traced the outline of one of the piece, and voila! -- had a four-paneled hat pattern. Even though the slice from the bucket hat didn't lay completely flat when I traced it, fleece is a very forgiving material when it comes to stretching, so I ended up having a very nice, original pattern in the end.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:16 pm
Iyou
Yeah, just find a hat pattern with a style you like and go with that. 3nodding I bought a See & Sew hat pattern for a bucket-style cap for a little less than three dollars - try to avoid the more expensive patterns if you can, because they tend to throw in a lot of frills you don't really need if you'd just like to make a hat. Plus, if you want to make your own pattern, you don't feel so bad about butchering a $3 wad of tissue paper than you do about a $15 wad of tissue paper. xd

I actually adapted my own hat pattern from the See & Sew one that I bought - I wanted to get a four-panelled hat pattern rather than a bucket hat one, but I couldn't find any within my budget so I settled for the cheapest hat pattern I could get. When I got back home, I made a bucket hat from the pattern and then cut the poor thing into four equal pieces, just like a pie. x3x; I roughly traced the outline of one of the piece, and voila! -- had a four-paneled hat pattern. Even though the slice from the bucket hat didn't lay completely flat when I traced it, fleece is a very forgiving material when it comes to stretching, so I ended up having a very nice, original pattern in the end.

What I've done before, and you can do in the future, if you wanna: Trace the cut pattern onto newspaper and then butcher and alter the newspaper "pattern" and you won't feel bad about butchering an expensive tissue paper pattern. This works delightfully for relitively simple things, but not so much when it's a pattern with lots of details.  

Catcheen
Crew

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces