Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
For knitting socks, do u suggest circular needles or dpns?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which would u use for knitting socks?
  circular needles
  double pointed needles (dpns)
View Results

NightRainSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:24 pm
Alright, Im finely getting to learn to knit socks, right now Im starting out with the double pointed needle way with a set of 5 for a pattern. And then I might then try out the circular needle way as well.

So I wanted to get some help by asking which way does everybody else prefer to use?

Using dpns or circular needles for knitting socks?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:21 pm
Have you ever tried using 2 circular needles? I like to use that method when I don't have the right size DPN.

I personally love DPNs so that's what I would suggest.  

~neko neko kitty~

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:39 pm
NightRainSpirit
Alright, Im finely getting to learn to knit socks, right now Im starting out with the double pointed needle way with a set of 5 for a pattern. And then I might then try out the circular needle way as well.

So I wanted to get some help by asking which way does everybody else prefer to use?

Using dpns or circular needles for knitting socks?

I like the DPN route as well, but some people do prefer the two circular or magic loop method. I guess to each their own. Just remember to pull the stitches tight around the ends of the DPNs.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:24 pm
Thanks u guys!
=^-^=
I was starting to give up on the dpns, u got to tighten it a lot in the begining, especially since the pattern begins with the toe of the sock.  

NightRainSpirit

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:45 pm
I find DPNs much easier to handle for socks smile Though the method you're using for toe-ups also has a huge impact on your comfort. I personally prefer the one where you start with a small square, pick up the sides, and do your increases there. What method are you using? smile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:55 pm
I agree with the general consensus, double points are good for socks. They make the heels go easier.  

Blue-eyes-green

wingedorange

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:40 pm
I like the double-pointed needles, actually, although I haven't really tried the circular method. But I tend to like dpns because I feel like I'm accomplishing something since there's such a small number of stitches on each needle.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:27 pm
Wow!
All I know, is that I got 24sts on 4 needles and Im starting at the toe, and the pattern is calling for size 1 needles! Kind of hard since I got long fingers. gonk  

NightRainSpirit

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:48 am
24 stitches at the start of the toe? O.o What's the pattern? Do you have a link?  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games