Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

:ninja:
  :ninja:
View Results

Die_Katze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:34 pm
2006 September Public Forum Topic

Resolved: That the benefits of NASA's space exploration programs justify the costs.

(Anyone in a debate class knows that there are national topics for people to debate over I just decided to post this one here and see if people will go at it.)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:24 pm
Gwha?  

Phaeton

Die_Katze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 am
Phaeton
Gwha?
Basically it's asking if all the money we put into NASA is a good thing seeing what what we've received from it or could receive from it.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm
Is NASA responsible for putting up all those GPS satelites? How about the Hubble telescope? I mean I guess it's good for things like satelite placement. I mean I doubt we'll actually be going to other planets.

How much is NASA costing us anyway?  

Phaeton

Die_Katze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:28 pm
Phaeton
Is NASA responsible for putting up all those GPS satelites? How about the Hubble telescope? I mean I guess it's good for things like satelite placement. I mean I doubt we'll actually be going to other planets.

Tons. The total cost of the Shuttle program has been $145 billion as of early 2005 , and is estimated to be $174 billion when the Shuttle retires in 2010.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:38 pm
That's a pretty hefty bill. What does the shuttle do now? Just go back and forth to the ISS?  

Phaeton

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:21 pm
Well .. for the most part I think it's money well spent .. I mean, we spend MUCH MUCH MUCH more on this hideous war Bush started .. -_-; at least with NASA we're advancing our knowledge of our beautiful universe.

I think that we should not bother going to other planets until we start getting serious about taking care of the one we have though .. =(  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:24 pm
She's right, we do spend more on our military. I remember seeing something on 60 minutes about how many unused military weapons and vehicles will never be used again but are all just taking up space in ship yards.  

Phaeton

Atsushi Kemi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:42 pm
whats?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:58 pm
Die_Katze
Phaeton

Tons. The total cost of the Shuttle program has been $145 billion as of early 2005 , and is estimated to be $174 billion when the Shuttle retires in 2010.

HA, I wish we spent more on space exploration! According to the Mid-Session Review for the US Government’s budget for 2006, the total amount that this country will spend is 2,613 billion dollars (pg. 36). NASA, however, will only get 16.5 billion (pg. 25) and that is less then 1% of US budgets.  

Midnite_Moonlite

TTRIK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:06 am
still they better gife more 2 the pore people in africa .
not in real money because they buy weapons from it. but just gife them for 8 biljon $ food! rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am
Madame Pompadour
Well .. for the most part I think it's money well spent .. I mean, we spend MUCH MUCH MUCH more on this hideous war Bush started .. -_-; at least with NASA we're advancing our knowledge of our beautiful universe.

I think that we should not bother going to other planets until we start getting serious about taking care of the one we have though .. =(

SearaSyte

Literate Hell

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff