Reply Smash Help
Tipz For Beating on link. -_-

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RedPhantomCloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:42 am
yeah, i already beat him ,but it's reaally hard im having trouble defeating my friend who uses link, im always either roy or marth.. the only thing he always gets my with is that Stupid boomarang--without that it's a piece of cake but he always uses it. eek  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 pm
Phantom_Sephiroth
yeah, i already beat him ,but it's reaally hard im having trouble defeating my friend who uses link, im always either roy or marth.. the only thing he always gets my with is that Stupid boomarang--without that it's a piece of cake but he always uses it. eek
timing. with the counter and the forward b can help with recovery and interupts  

J-PiPe

RedPhantomCloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:08 am
is that it? wow, thanx j-pipe, but i mean this guild should be a lil more helpful.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:00 am
here i got u covered cause i do roy and a little marth

ok first roy

This is a difficult match for roy because he has no ranged attacks
whatsoever. You shouldnt have to worry about links arrows cause those shouldnt be used very much anyways. The boomerang is one of links staple moves so u need to find a way around it, this thing has a bad ending lag and like all of links more they have a slow start up time, so try to keep close to link cause although roy isnt what u would call a fast character he is faster than link. When u manage to get within range do not use his smash attacks as all of roys have a bad ending lag so if u miss an up-b or a forward smash, sumthing poopy will happen to u. Instead rely more on roys d-tilt, f-tilt, f-b, and grab. Now ill explain each of those, d-tilt = down tilt, it is where u hold down and press "A" but not doing a smash, u do this cause this can lead into pretty much whatever u want to do say a d-tilt to f-smash or d-tilt to neutral-b then f-smash, or d-tilt to f-b(this move can be used to hit in different directions depending on the the angle of the control stick while doing the attack). Now for the rest f-tilt = forward tilt, use this move instead of f-smash in most situations, cause it has good knockback if hit with the sweet spot of the sword for roy which is the hilt to the handle and its lag is not as bad as the f-smash, and f-b = forward b, this is another gr8 move from roy and can be used as a good killer with the neutral 3rd hit of it, it takes sum time to get the timing down, but it is another of roys staple moves.

Next is his grab make sure u can shield grab cause that is useful if u dont kno what it is here i will explain it to u, a shield grab is when u hold down shield with either "R" or "L" and then u shield a hit and after it u instantly press "A" while holding down the shield and it does a grab, this move is very useful and helps seperate the newbs from the semi-experienced players. Jump-Grab is a must with roy because his grab reach is soo short, this is done ussually while runing, to do this u press either "X" or "Y" to jump, but before the jump can happen u press "Z" to grab there by extending your grab a little bit, and it also has less ending lag then the normal running grab if done right it will look ike u r just doing a standing grab but u will slide forward. With roys grab, at lower percents u can do a up throw which at lower and mid percents against link u can combo into up-tilt, f-b, f-tilit, or f-smash depending on on the percent. With back throw or down throw roy can combo link into a a f-smash, f-tilt, f-b, and can tech chase if u are good at tech casing, but tech chasing can only be done at low to mid percents with roy. Roys f-throw really cant do much at mid to higher percents cause he throws them to far forward so stick to his other throws and u should be fine. *Note Roy can also chain grab certain characters to low and mid percentages, and i think u may be able to do it against link, to chain grab with roy u just use his up-throw before u try this though make sure u have the jump-grab down.

Now for roys air game, well i have to say although his shffl games is faster than marths, its much weaker because he has very low air proirity. Really your only options are to juggle with his up-air, his neutal air otherwise known as a sex kick is not that good, and his f-air is ok but nothing special, against bigger characters such as dk, bowser and ganon u can shffl a f-air to f-throw all the way accross flat arenas at low to mid percents, i dont know i u can do it against link but its worth a try. Roys f-b can be used in the air to make a landing, and to keep ppl away from u but in this fight u wanna keep close to link so mainly just use the f-b on the ground. Roys neutral-b attack is one i use in the air alot, because it has a large hit range once u learn how to time it u can use it sorta like a wall to keep opponents from getting behind or away from u, but this is just what i use it for plus while u r in the air it hits below u so u can land on ppl how are say trying to a dash attack or grab u from the ground, if it doesnt work for u then meh i tried. F-b can also be used as a recovery. Roys up-b can be angled by holding your control stick at an upwards angle in the direction u want to go, its vertical range is a little less than marths, but if done correctly u can go approxiamtely 1/3 horizonatly of final destination. While recovering always remember to sweet spot the edge cause this is the safest way to recover, unless u kno u are going to be edge hogged then u should not try to sweet spot but at landing u can expect sumthing bad to happen if u are playing against a decent player because again most of roys move have bad ending lag.

Ok now for roys edgehogging and edguarding game. Since link can use his hook shot to hook on to the edge edgehogging isnt going to be as useful but for future usage, edgehoggin is when u either jump or wavedash onto the ledge just as a recovering person is about to grab it, so that they just fall to there doom, but when u do it u have time it right or u may get hit by their recovery move. Now for edgeguarding, the most common one that i use is his neutral-b cause u can charge it for a long time, it has good knockback, and it hits below the stage, roys f-smash can also be used but my personal preference is the neutral-b so its really up to u. Some ppl try and use roy's f-b to edgeguard cause the 3rd hit up in it is a spike, but this is highly not recommended cause its hard to time it. If u play as marth then u have definately used his d-tilt to edgegurad, but remebers roy's doesnt have the same effect as marths, intsead of pushing them away it pops them up and if u want to do this u can so try d-tilt to either f-smash or nuetral-b.

Learn to shffl adn wavedash, or more info on how to do these plz read Arcvyse's "Zenith to Melee Guide, as it explains how to do al of these, and to play as roy is already difficult so do yourself a favor and learn to do these cause wiht out these its gonna be near impossible to have a good roy. But mostly just play aggressive as roy and dont let link get away from u cause mid to long range is where link excels.

Dont forget mindgames this is also a must with roy these though u have to develop on your own. An example of a Mind game is to wavedash back and forth, or to run past them so they either dodge, or side step then allowing u to grab them while they are in the ending lag.

Now this is only a quick run-down on roy and if any of u out there that are better than me than plz correct me if i have made any mistakes. But if u hear things like "just use counter" and "just use his f-smash cause its powerful" then dont listen to stuff like that, cause tha is what will get u 5 stocked.

I cant help u wiht marth though cause at best my marth is decent.

Anyways read my tips, practice on what i said and then challenege your friend and tell me about how much u pwned him.  

Phantom_Renegade

RedPhantomCloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:30 am
wow, thats a good damn rundown of Roy.
after reading most of that, i do most of it, like d-tilt to f-smash ect.
but there were some combo's that i was really surprised i had not used,
as well as when i edge guard, i just used B instead of D-tilt B or d-tilt F-smash. Thanx! 3nodding

P.s. ur right he NEVER uses arrows.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:30 am
if u need any help against other characters with roy, feel free to ask  

Phantom_Renegade

RedPhantomCloud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:58 pm
alright . biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:51 pm
J-PiPe
Phantom_Sephiroth
gah! thats what i was going to say that and jump over the boomarang and go for the attack  

Reaper1120

Phantom_Renegade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:03 am
sorafan
J-PiPe
Phantom_Sephiroth
gah! thats what i was going to say that and jump over the boomarang and go for the attack

counter how many times do i have to tell ppl counter is not a move used in higher lvls of play, but hey if u wanna continue using be my guest and stay as a newbie  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:58 pm
ewwww wut a sick method "use counter" !? never ever use counter its a gay move with no knock back and barely and damage...its worthless unless for maybe an edgeaurd if u have no other options...imo to fight a good link, meaning one who knows to l cancel very well and moves pretty fast, u just got use ur f tilt a lot to block those boomerangs, and try shnairing while running into him for an approach into a dtilt fsmash, i noticed someoen else said something about dtilt to fmash, and yeah it kicks a**...hmmm also learn some grab techs like when u can fthrow to perfect tipper, its a good thing to know... its easy kills lol other than that i'd just suggest juggling, link is a fast faller, so utilt usually pwns him...and if all else fails...morph into ken and use the KEN COMBO!!!!!! mrgreen  

Dynasty_77

ginger who is green

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:08 pm
He can not be defeated. Link pwns.

Actually, Link stinks.
Young Link pwns.
8D

Well, the advice offered in this thread seems pretty good...So follow and pratice there advice. 'nd pwatice a bit more...and good luck!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 pm
Well sence link can deflect items without any help needed from you, try using link as well. I you have young link even better. the more you use his bombs the stronger they get. And then If you like zelda us shiek, by teleporting next to him you can burn him and move away from him when he's going to return his attack. Good luck.  

last angel served

last angel served

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:14 am
you can kill kirby by shooting him untill he is out of bounds.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:39 pm
archangle3102

You can kill Fox by hurting him until his damage is really high then knocking him out of bounds

You can kill Shiek by making her fall into the pit.

Seriously, do you think that stating the objective of the game is good advice?  

Ronin_686

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:02 pm
Ronin_686
archangle3102

You can kill Fox by hurting him until his damage is really high then knocking him out of bounds

You can kill Shiek by making her fall into the pit.

Seriously, do you think that stating the objective of the game is good advice?

I think it is!

I think the best way to win is to hit your opponent many times, while avoiding being hit. Afterwards, when your enemy is damaged, do a smash attack. It works almost every time!  
Smash Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games