Dumb People + Computers = Bad Idea

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:47 am
Any time you feel dumb, don't worry. Check out the following excerpts from a "Wall Street Journal" article by Jim Carlton. Lots of people are dumber than you.

1. Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press Return Key" because of the many calls asking where the "Any" key is.

2. AST technical support had a caller complaining that her mouse was hard to control with the dust cover on. The cover turned out to be the plastic bag the mouse was packaged in.

3. Another Compaq technician received a call from a man complaining that the system wouldn't read word processing files from his old diskettes. After trouble-shooting for magnets and heat failed to diagnose the problem, it was found that the customer labeled the diskettes by rolling them into a typewriter to type on them.

4. Another AST customer was asked to send a copy of her defective diskettes. A few days later a letter arrived from the customer along with Xeroxed copies of the floppies.

5. A Dell technician advised his customer to put his troubled floppy back in the drive and close the door. The customer asked the tech to hold on, and was then heard putting the phone down, getting up and crossing the room to close the door to his room.

6. Another Dell customer called to say he couldn't get his computer to fax anything. After 40 minutes of trouble-shooting, the technician discovered the man was trying to fax a piece of paper by holding it in front of the monitor screen and hitting the "send" key.

7. Another Dell customer needed help setting up a new program, so a Dell tech suggested he go to the local Egghead. "Yeah, I got me a couple of friends," the customer replied. When told "Egghead" was a software store, the man said, "Oh, I thought you meant for me to find a couple of geeks."

8. Yet another Dell customer called to complain that his keyboard no longer worked. He had cleaned it by filling up his tub with soap and water and soaking the keyboard for a day, then removing all the keys and washing them individually.

9. A Dell technician received a call from a customer who was enraged because his computer had told him he was "bad and an invalid". The tech explained that the computer's "bad command" and "invalid" responses shouldn't be taken personally.

10. An exasperated caller to Dell Computer Tech Support couldn't get her new Dell Computer to turn on. After ensuring that the computer was plugged in, the technician asked her what happened when she pushed the power button. Her response, "I pushed and pushed on this foot pedal and nothing happens." The "foot pedal" turned out to be the computer's mouse.

11. Another customer called Compaq tech support to say her brand-new computer wouldn't work. She said she unpacked the unit, plugged it in, and sat there for 20 minutes waiting for something to happen. When asked what happened when she pressed the power switch, she asked "What power switch?"

12. True story from a Novell NetWire SysOp: Caller: "Hello, is this Tech Support?"

Tech: "Yes, it is. How may I help you?" Caller: "The cup holder on my PC is broken and I am within my warranty period. How do I go about getting that fixed?" Tech: "I'm sorry, but did you say a "cup holder"?" Caller: "Yes, it's attached to the front of my computer." Tech: "Please excuse me if I seem a bit stumped; it's because I am. Did you receive this as part of a promotion, like at a trade show? How did you get this cup holder? Does it have any trademark on it?" Caller: "It came with my computer, I don't know anything about a promotional. It just has '4X' on it."

At this point the Tech Rep had to mute the caller, because he couldn't stand it. The caller had been using the load drawer of the CD-ROM drive as a cup holder, and snapped it off the drive!

Another well-known one that I can add is the true tale of the user who called up complaining that the instructions said to load the four diskettes into "Drive A" but he couldn't possibly get more than two in.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:56 pm
rofl Hahaha, how f-ing sad!  

KoRnfucius

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:51 pm
A favorite a friend of mine told me was of talking to a corporate manager of a well-known clothing store chain. My friend spoke to him for 40 min. trying to figure out why there was no power to the computer. Finally he asked about the monitor connections to which he heard the reply "let me grab a flashlight - damn storm knocked the power out an hour ago. "

.........yeah. a manager.corporate, for that matter.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:34 pm
Quote:
1. Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press Return Key" because of the many calls asking where the "Any" key is.

Ya know, you can buy plastic key covers that say "Any", "Panic" and "Damn it" ?

rofl  

trampyre

KoRnfucius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:23 pm
trampyre
Quote:

Ya know, you can buy plastic key covers that say "Any", "Panic" and "Damn it" ?

rofl
:: chuckles :: That reminds me of a picture I saw on funnyjunk I think. There was an "Oh s**t" key. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:53 pm
i think its f'd up when ppl like that work in computer stores. Of all places a computer store. For example, i was in Future Shop the other day getting a new mouse, and asked for help, cause i couldnt find the box of the same mouse that was on display. So the employee came over and i asked him to help me find this mouse. So, he grabs an entirely different mouse, that looks no where near the one i want, and he persists on arguing the fact that the mouse on the shelf and the mouse in the box are the same one. So finally, hehe, i start pretty much tossing the boxes to the floor digging to find the one i want. Shouldve seen his face. ROFLMAO. Then he couldnt figure out how to scan the barcode on the box... OMG. Hehe, i think i got him fired on the spot, or he was just ending his shift, cause when i was leaving the parking lot i saw him get in his car...
so, yeah  

RevlinHeartsblood

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:26 pm
*practices necromancy*

Yesterday my mother borrowed my laptop. I hated the idea, but it was fairly important, so i let her. I made sure to give her a separate account, with very few privileges. Certainly no administrator ones. I did everything i could to ensure she would not cause problems without throwing the thing against the wall.

Cut to today. Looking through some of my files, i have found half a dozen new folders. The folders contain what appears to be system files from Windows ME, server software for hosting web pages and an odd assortment of Chinese literature. Two of the folders cannot be opened, displaying the message, "You do not have permission to open this folder." Somehow i do not have permission to open a folder on my own computer...

All told, the oddest part is a Solitaire game, seemingly identical to the one that comes with Windows, save it was renamed Klondike (the actual name for that game). It cannot be deleted, moved, renamed or modified in any other way. It is sitting in the middle of my desktop just staring at me, daring me to get rid of it.

All my mother had to say was, "Oh, i didn't even turn that thing on."  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:19 am
True Story, I was setting up a new monitor for someone, when they asked me, if I could transfer their screen saver to the new monitor.

Also true story; I had to go fix someones new computer for them, when I got there, I saw the mouse on the floor, I asked why, and they said "Isn't that a foot pedal?"

Another true story, a friend of mine, was working in Ireland, when they get a call from this kids parents, asking them to knock up an internet ready system by the end of the day, when asked why, their genius of a son, had tried to attach a case fan... with the case still on and sawed a hole into his motherboard.

The last story I have, is the same guy my friend was working for in Ireland, got a call, at 3am, it was urgent apparently, so he rushed out to Limerick where the call was (about 2 hours away), the 'urgent' problem was the guy couldn't talk to his wife on MSN, and demanded that it was fixed, after 5 minutes Dave (the tech guy) told him, there was nothing he could do, because the Microsoft server for Florida (where the guys wife was) was down... the guy then asked Dave if he could fix the server.  

Rellik San
Crew

xPanzerFaust19x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:17 pm
stupid ppl like those ppl shoudn't be allowed to own a computer...  
Spam / Gaming - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games