Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
my teacher is a @*%#ing moron

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akwila

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:03 pm
oo my freaking god. i hate my laguage arts teacher, he is an idiot. yesterday we hand an assignment to wirte a childrens book, for an very early age (a picture book) so it was just acouple sentances. i dont have the work at hand right now cuz im at home and the file is at school, anyway, i typed up a story about the seasons and the wiccan holidays, you know, put my unique flare in it. but nooooooooooo, i asked him to read it and hes said that what i had was unacceptable because it was 'wierd' anf that 'no child coul ever understand that, i dont understand it!", so i told him flat out "this is my work, this is what i have chosen to wirte, it is wrong of you to sensor my work because you dont like it" to this he said "you can turn it in, and i'll grade it, just dont expect to pass my class with it"(yes i have very low grade in his class, mostly its my fault for not doing homework, but when i do do work he grades it vicously). and he has on numerous occasions insulted me and my religious path: "that wont get ya into heaven" "thats a false religion", and he has been nothing but disresepctful twards me and my friends, aslo wiccans  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:40 am
Complain to the princiapl.

Or better yet, egg his house.  

Quadadiddle
Crew

The Wallaby

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:13 am
Sometimes its better not to bring your religion into school, because you're just opening yourself up to critisizm from people like your teacher. I would complain to the principal, but it's probably a good idea not to takl about your religious path in that class anymore.

(btw, why are you still in school? I thought everyone was out by now.)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:21 am
I would make the suggestion to perhaps step down off of your Pagan High Horse and let it all go. You're borrowing trouble for yourself since you know he openly nasty abouy yourself being Wiccan by forcing your views on him, which clearly makes him uncomfortable. That, my firend, makes you no better than him.

I can sympathise with your teacher about the story. First of all, he's already admitted that he doesn't understand it, which is going to make it very difficult for him to mark if he doesn't understand it. Second, there are a lot of Pagan holidays, which difficult to pronounce names, so that's going to make it hard for small children. Thirdly, let's look at this from a marketing perspective, even if it was only an assignment: Parents aren't going to want it for their children because it's complicated, they don't understand, and it's overtly Pagan. Not to be harsh with you, but I would probably fail the story as well, and I'm Pagan. It's just not something I'd call youth appropriate material.

Now that I've shot you down, maybe I can help you out if you've still got time to fix this story and you're not too proud to. Instead of writing about holidays, write about fun things to do in each season that have PAgan roots, but are common place enough no one will question it. For Fall, talk about bobbing for apples and jack-o-lanterns. In winter, talk about Christmas trees hung with little bells and Yule logs. For Spring, talk about egg hunts and May poles. In summer, talk about stary skies and growing fields. They're simple enough ideas that children will understand and relate, your teacher will understand and give you a better grade, it would seell on a market, and you get you're little hidden dig in.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:08 am
Bottom line, life sucks, deal with it. If that teacher doesn't like Paganism, don't do an assignment about it. Be the better man and step down. Just remember, the law and justice don't allways go hand in hand.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:58 pm
Well, I agree that your teacher is being a bit crude and even prejudice in how he's acted and you should complain to the principal about it. No one should be discriminated against for that.

However, you knew beforehand that this was how he felt and yet you still did a book on it. Not a very good idea. I have seen some Pagan children's books that probably wouldn't have set your teacher off too much, but I can only guess that your book was heavily Pagan (probably as a result of your teacher's prejudice remarks).

Best idea is to talk to the principal and re-write a less "in-your-face" Pagan story. I can recommend a site if you want to see what I mean. Just PM me and I'll find that story I read and you can read through them. I think they're great surprised  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Akwila

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:50 pm
Gypsy Blue
I would make the suggestion to perhaps step down off of your Pagan High Horse and let it all go. You're borrowing trouble for yourself since you know he openly nasty abouy yourself being Wiccan by forcing your views on him, which clearly makes him uncomfortable. That, my firend, makes you no better than him.

I can sympathise with your teacher about the story. First of all, he's already admitted that he doesn't understand it, which is going to make it very difficult for him to mark if he doesn't understand it. Second, there are a lot of Pagan holidays, which difficult to pronounce names, so that's going to make it hard for small children. Thirdly, let's look at this from a marketing perspective, even if it was only an assignment: Parents aren't going to want it for their children because it's complicated, they don't understand, and it's overtly Pagan. Not to be harsh with you, but I would probably fail the story as well, and I'm Pagan. It's just not something I'd call youth appropriate material.

Now that I've shot you down, maybe I can help you out if you've still got time to fix this story and you're not too proud to. Instead of writing about holidays, write about fun things to do in each season that have PAgan roots, but are common place enough no one will question it. For Fall, talk about bobbing for apples and jack-o-lanterns. In winter, talk about Christmas trees hung with little bells and Yule logs. For Spring, talk about egg hunts and May poles. In summer, talk about stary skies and growing fields. They're simple enough ideas that children will understand and relate, your teacher will understand and give you a better grade, it would seell on a market, and you get you're little hidden dig in.
i see where you coming from, and i understand. but i wanted to do someing fun and differnt, many ppl find my belifes strange but interesting, and for the most part they are ill informed. so i thought its would be a good i idea to my unique flare to it, just to change the monotonous tone of everything. what this rant was about was his attidude about it, he didnt like it, he didnt want to grade it. i wasnt imposing anything on him, save for the paper i wanted him to grade.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:30 am
akwila
i see where you coming from, and i understand. but i wanted to do someing fun and differnt, many ppl find my belifes strange but interesting, and for the most part they are ill informed. so i thought its would be a good i idea to my unique flare to it, just to change the monotonous tone of everything. what this rant was about was his attidude about it, he didnt like it, he didnt want to grade it. i wasnt imposing anything on him, save for the paper i wanted him to grade.

But see, that's where you don't understand. You are imposing your beliefs on him by forcing a paper on him he doesn't want to grade. Yes, most people are at the very least inrested in Wicca. Your teacher clearly is not, yet here you are blantantly shoving it in his face, and it would appear not for the first time. It's no different than a fundy being "Yay Jesus!" every time you turn around, and you know how annoying that can be.

I'm not telling you not to put your own unique, Pagan flare on your paper. All I'm telling you is to be subtle about it. You don't have to be Super Witch, and you are not single handedly going to change either the worl or your teacher's views with it. I'm going into the final year of my Bachelor of Arts Degree with an Advanced Major, so take a paper writing tip from me: As objective as your teachers are supposed to be when marking and grading, they aren't. If they find a topic ofensive, or simply don't agree with you, it's going to reflect in the mark you receive. Don't let your pride and your convictions come before your edication, because that is what's going to put you in a position some day to change the world.
Is being spiteful and trying to force your teacher to acknowledge your beliefs worth failing yourself in the class and risking summer school or repeating the year? Back when I was in high school and all the rest, we had to pass language arts/English to pass the year; not doing so, was an automatic fail. Pass and get teh heck away from someone who's so closed minded and clearly bothers you so much.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Akwila

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:53 pm
Gypsy Blue
akwila

But see, that's where you don't understand. You are imposing your beliefs on him by forcing a paper on him he doesn't want to grade. Yes, most people are at the very least inrested in Wicca. Your teacher clearly is not, yet here you are blantantly shoving it in his face, and it would appear not for the first time. It's no different than a fundy being "Yay Jesus!" every time you turn around, and you know how annoying that can be.

I'm not telling you not to put your own unique, Pagan flare on your paper. All I'm telling you is to be subtle about it. You don't have to be Super Witch, and you are not single handedly going to change either the worl or your teacher's views with it. I'm going into the final year of my Bachelor of Arts Degree with an Advanced Major, so take a paper writing tip from me: As objective as your teachers are supposed to be when marking and grading, they aren't. If they find a topic ofensive, or simply don't agree with you, it's going to reflect in the mark you receive. Don't let your pride and your convictions come before your edication, because that is what's going to put you in a position some day to change the world.
Is being spiteful and trying to force your teacher to acknowledge your beliefs worth failing yourself in the class and risking summer school or repeating the year? Back when I was in high school and all the rest, we had to pass language arts/English to pass the year; not doing so, was an automatic fail. Pass and get teh heck away from someone who's so closed minded and clearly bothers you so much.
no its not. its just that his ignorance fules my fire (not a good thing)...in the long run it doesnt mean squat, in three weeks i never have to look at his face again (thats an image i want OUT of my brain).  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:59 pm
akwila
no its not. its just that his ignorance fules my fire (not a good thing)...in the long run it doesnt mean squat, in three weeks i never have to look at his face again (thats an image i want OUT of my brain).

Get used to ignorance, hun. If you weren't so "out" and in his face about being a Pagan, you wouldn't be having that problem. You might want to get a handle on it before you have more run ins with teachers like him, because they will be out there, and they'll be in your work place and everywhere else around you.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces