Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Weaving???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you know how to weave?
  Yes
  No, but I'd like to.
  no.
  WHY WOULD I?????
  Yes, I LOVE IT!!!!!!
View Results

Maki Minakoaino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:12 am
I WOULD REALLY like to learn how to weave. Does anyone know how, tutorials, getting started, materials, where to buy, etc?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:49 am
Maki Minakoaino
I WOULD REALLY like to learn how to weave. Does anyone know how, tutorials, getting started, materials, where to buy, etc?

I only know the basics of rigid heddle weaving and tri-loom weaving. I know nothing about floor loom harness weaving, inkle, or Navajo weaving. So depending on which one you're interested in, I may or may not be able to help. *grin*  

Catcheen
Crew

Maki Minakoaino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:23 pm
Catcheen
Maki Minakoaino

I only know the basics of rigid heddle weaving and tri-loom weaving. I know nothing about floor loom harness weaving, inkle, or Navajo weaving. So depending on which one you're interested in, I may or may not be able to help. *grin*

.........had no clue there were so many kinds.....which one is cheapest and easiest to learn? I would like to be able to make tapestries and material to sew with  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:40 pm
Maki Minakoaino
.........had no clue there were so many kinds.....which one is cheapest and easiest to learn? I would like to be able to make tapestries and material to sew with

Well, Navajo weaving does picture weaving, but not really tapestries. I've only seen tapestries done on the floor looms. The floor looms are also the ones that will make the best sewing fabric... unfortunately they cost thousands of dollars even for a used loom.

My rigid heddle loom which I bought to see if I even liked weaving only cost about a hundred dollars. It's pretty much only good scarves and placemats and other thicker weave fabrics. I know you can do some patterns and color changes, but I'm not so sure about pictures. It's also the cheapest kind of weaving I've seen.

My tri-loom is my favorite and cost me about $300 for the loom and stand. It's really only good for making triangles, but since I love shawls, it's been perfect for me. There's some pretty advanced techniques one can learn on the tri-loom, but none of them involve pictures. Makes a really neat plaid though! Also, the weave is quite loose unless you used a bulky yarn or felted the fabric down.

Inkle weaving just makes really long strips of fabric. I've seen people weave letters and small pictures into them, but unless you just want a ribbon or a belt, it doesn't sound up your alley.  

Catcheen
Crew

x_dreamweaver_x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:12 pm
Sorry, I can't help. The only weaving I've done was in 3rd grade with construction paper sweatdrop But in art class I kind of did weaving. All it is was a picture frame with lots of string alll pulled in one direction. You took different colord yarns and then you wove them in. I don't think that's traditional but it was lots of fun!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:51 am
One of the most simplest methose to make a garnment which looks like it is woven is knitting a tricot piece. Then trun it over to the non-tricot side and take a needle. And start weaving....
Then you'll end up with something like this:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I like to weave, but I dislike the setting up for weaving. If you want cheap, you could always try cardweaving. On the picture it looks like you need a whole set up, but you only really need the cards. The rest can come later. It is historicly correct and you can make it as hard or as simple as you wish.  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:28 am
Does anyone know a cheap way to get in to weaving on something like a table loom? Inkle and tablet weaving is nice, but rather limited in width so far as I can tell.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:55 am
Zahra Ovaci
Does anyone know a cheap way to get in to weaving on something like a table loom? Inkle and tablet weaving is nice, but rather limited in width so far as I can tell.

If you don't have a local weaver's guild to talk to about it, you might try craigslist? It's the cheapest way i can think of.  

Catcheen
Crew

Maki Minakoaino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:53 am
what's craigslist? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:09 am
Maki Minakoaino
what's craigslist? sweatdrop

http://seattle.craigslist.org/

Click on your city and do a search for looms. For example, there are two looms for sale in my area. One inkle, one floor loom. It's a super way to get stuff cheap. Just watch out for quality though.  

Catcheen
Crew

Kaysicle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:36 pm
I found tapestry weaving the easiest and cheapest to learn, for class, we used a standard wooden frame, put nails on it to wrap the warp on, then used wool and a fork to bang it. It takes a while but you can do pretty much anything with it.

If you want a more detailed answer pm me and I'll help you out.
I don't think you'll be able to afford a 4 harness loom starting off but this gives you a good understanding.

I'm such a weaving nut sweatdrop  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff