Speculation on the Future

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:49 pm
As many people know, technology has been advancing at a rapid rate in the past 50 years or so. Computers that used to take up the space of an entire room are now consolidated down to the size of a laptop. Portable phones are now a reality and small enough to be easy to loose. The speed of the internet connection avalible to the general public has increased vastly.

With all of these inovations and changes, one might speculate on what might happen in the next 50 years or so. This thread is to share some of your ideas and visions of what the future may yet hold.
What inventions would you really really like to see from science fiction? Any original ideas you would love to see in a few years time? Is there anyone currently working on creating something new and inovative? Let your imaginations soar, and post any idea you wish, no matter how odd it may sound.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:19 pm
Cell phones should have pagers built into them, just like house hold portable phones.

There should be a remote that when you loose your cell phone, you just push the button and your phone beeps until you find it and turn of the alarm thingy.  

VividGreenDawn

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:22 pm
VividGreenDawn
Cell phones should have pagers built into them, just like house hold portable phones.

There should be a remote that when you loose your cell phone, you just push the button and your phone beeps until you find it and turn of the alarm thingy.

That would be nice as long as you didn't loose the paging button as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:51 pm
Personally, I'd really like to see warp drives, replicators and transporters (from Star Trek). While I'm not sure how I'd feel about being transported myself, I think it would be cool if they existed.

I also would love it if someone made an MP3 player that was also a cell-phone, mini PDA, video player, and game system that was built on Linux, and had universal compatibility that you could plug into a TV or stereo anywhere and play media.

That would make my lifetime.  

trampyre

MoonMaze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:29 am
well a time travel device of some sort would be good.
like john titor type things.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:42 pm
hmm..... i would like to see a transporter or a jetpack book bag 3nodding  

The Reused

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:26 pm
I'd personally like to see hoverboards... maybe they'll be easier than skateboards.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:23 am
Senchou Ari Mizuko
I'd personally like to see hoverboards... maybe they'll be easier than skateboards.

that would be SWEET!  

trampyre

OverlordMMM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 am
.....somehow I don't think hover boards would be that great of an idea......what if one of the engines messes up while using them, either turning off or having too much power....ral dangerous .....but anyway....maybe we'll have hologram IMs.....that would be interesting.....lounge around with your friends on your computer while their holograms are talking in the room.....also think of the possibilities for peoples buddy icons.....

....a lot could happen with technology....I just hope no one blows the world up by then....  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:49 am
In Brave New World (hated that book), the boards run on magnetism, and there's a metal grid under the city. They also shouldn't go higher than a few feet off the ground.  

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

2aetH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:36 pm
I WANT MY FLYING CARS, DAMMIT!!

Seeing as how they're in virtually every sci-fi flick.......  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:15 pm
Flying cars would be pretty dangerous...  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

littlewonder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:15 pm
Oh, yeah, you'd have to set up some safety order for flying cars so people aren't going crazy and crashing everywhere. Like we have today with roads and traffic lights and yada yada yada...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:23 pm
Raethyn Sarachael
I WANT MY FLYING CARS, DAMMIT!!

Seeing as how they're in virtually every sci-fi flick.......

I'd be to afraid of a flying car.
Think of what happens when you run out of gas.  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items