Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:06 pm
The Crucible? wink

No actual witches, but it's a good movie just the same.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:36 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
The Crucible? wink

No actual witches, but it's a good movie just the same.

The irony is that we actually brielfy discussed that movie yesterday in my 19th Century American Lit seminar when we talked about how Nathaniel Hawthorne was connected to the Salem Witch Trials...  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:02 pm
Who?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:17 pm
Nathaniel Hawthorne... where have I heard that name?  

Seira Relur

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:40 pm
Seira Relur
He wrote the Scarlet Letter, about Hester Prynne having a child out of wedlock (because her husband was assumed dead before she got knocked up), so she wore a red "A" on her chest ("A" is for Adultery! biggrin ). It was to say or to show how horrible the puritians were, basically.

He was also a decendant of John Hathorne, who was one of the judges during the Salem Witch Trials.

o _o;;;
I kindof actually like The Crucible.
Mostly the ending, not the killings.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:47 am
You can always take comfort in the fact that it was writen about communist hunts.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 am
Jezehbelle
Seira Relur
He wrote the Scarlet Letter, about Hester Prynne having a child out of wedlock (because her husband was assumed dead before she got knocked up), so she wore a red "A" on her chest ("A" is for Adultery! biggrin ). It was to say or to show how horrible the puritians were, basically.

He was also a decendant of John Hathorne, who was one of the judges during the Salem Witch Trials.

o _o;;;

Yup and Nathaniel Hawthorne was so upset about is relation to John, he added the w in his name to lose association with his realitives. A lot of his writings in that time period are ment to point out the faults of the time and help people to move past them in his own time.

He also wrote The House of Seven Gables, which you can go tour the house in Salem, MA, totally suggested.

And I love The Crucible, both the play and the movie, which if I remember correctly included material that Miller wrote into the play and pulled out as redundant.

Another interesting thing to watch is a recording of Miller at a Commy trial. He wanted to go to England to see his soone to be wife Manroe, and they wouldn't let him leave the country without the trial....best part was that the judge called him night before and said basically "Get my an autograph from Manroe and I'll drop charges." Miller of course refused ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:54 pm
blindfaith^_^
Jezehbelle
Seira Relur

o _o;;;

Yup and Nathaniel Hawthorne was so upset about is relation to John, he added the w in his name to lose association with his realitives. A lot of his writings in that time period are ment to point out the faults of the time and help people to move past them in his own time.

He also wrote The House of Seven Gables, which you can go tour the house in Salem, MA, totally suggested.

And I love The Crucible, both the play and the movie, which if I remember correctly included material that Miller wrote into the play and pulled out as redundant.

Another interesting thing to watch is a recording of Miller at a Commy trial. He wanted to go to England to see his soone to be wife Manroe, and they wouldn't let him leave the country without the trial....best part was that the judge called him night before and said basically "Get my an autograph from Manroe and I'll drop charges." Miller of course refused ^_^
I also like how he wasn't charged initially because of his relationship with Monroe.

Is he a commie? Nah, he's dating Monroe, the good All-American gal. He can't be.

Warhol>Monroe any day.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:52 pm
I thought of these yesterday while I was watching TV with my neices and nephew, so, if the thought of Disney Channel witches doesn't turn your stomach:

Halloweentown
Halloweentown 2 (Kalabars Revenge)
Halloweentown High
Return to Halloween Town

And Twitches.
o_O

They're not movies, but, I found some of the old favorite cartoons on YouTube.

Trick or Treat -- Donald Duck (1952)
A Witch's Tangled Hare -- Bugs Bunny (1959)
Bewitched Bunny -- Bugs Bunny (1954)  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces