Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
Change the name.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Change the logo to the accurate Jersey Devil.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Keep everything as it is.
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:31 pm
Another headliner from WitchVox:

Devils Steaming Over Criticism Of Name

Author: KFMB Source: KFMB (CA)

Title: DEVILS STEAMING OVER CRITICISM OF NAME

What chance do the New Jersey Devils give a proposal that would give the pro hockey franchise a less demonic name? Think hell freezing over.

State Assemblyman Craig Stanley is taking issue with a satanic symbol representing the state's National Hockey League team, which has won three Stanley Cup championships.

"This is an age where symbolism is very important," said Stanley, a Baptist deacon whose resolution to rename the team is to be introduced in the Assembly next month. A new name would be chosen in a statewide competition.

"I've always cringed when people say they're going to see the Devils," said Stanley. "The merchandise, the paraphernalia is based on the actual demonic devil. Personally, it causes a little bit of an issue with me."

Full Story.

Discussion:
- Symbolism today with references to controversy
- Sports teams' names
- People who don't have anything better to do with their lives and want to ruin things for other people. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:36 pm
*Sigh* It's not like the name incites violence or anything! It's just a name meant to make people recognize who they are. You put it very well, when you said "People who don't have anything better to do with their lives and want to ruin things for other people."

It's all so pointless and stupid, but at least they're focusing their energy on something that won't have a direct or harmful effect of anyone or anything else. Let them argue over that for the next 20 years, even if it's just to keep them out of the personal lives of everyone else. (Though they COULD be putting the effort into a homeless shelter and helping abused children, but I'm just a simple Pagan who thinks those things are more important. What do I know?) rolleyes  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Akwila

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:01 am
i lived in jersy 3nodding , but anyway i think they should change the name to something differnt like how the chuppacabra is not called the goat deamon...  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:13 pm
Another silly thing to freak over, eh?

I don't see the big deal. It's been around for a while, and now some fellow whines about it. Big whup. Who cares? If they have to do something, then make the logo look more like the "actual" Jersey Devil. That would be neat, IMHO. razz

Not much else to say, really. sweatdrop  

Keistera

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:05 pm
I'm gonna start a baseball team named "The satanic devils from a wiccan paradise" and wear my jersey to an episcopelian church biggrin

And our team logo will be a cross with a priest sitting in it with a devil tail, horns, and a little boy with his hand up the priests robes razz  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:50 am
thats like how a while back the DC basket ball team was teh Bullets now thay are the Wizzards becouse Bullets was to violent. I didn't like the idea then and I don't like it now. just don't make sence to me .  

wicked_hat

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:31 pm
Pokemon is Cool
I'm gonna start a baseball team named "The satanic devils from a wiccan paradise" and wear my jersey to an episcopelian church biggrin

And our team logo will be a cross with a priest sitting in it with a devil tail, horns, and a little boy with his hand up the priests robes razz
It's so grotesque but so funny at the same time. xd

Yeah, VD, I thought the point of a team name was to evoke something powerful. I see no problem with the Bullets, as a bullet doesn't necessaily kill people. If anything, I think fast.

Going back to a name evoking something, if I was a Native American, I wouldn't have my knickers in a twist over a sports team being called the Indians, Red Skins, or what not. Teams taking such names means they feel that race is powerful. What do white people have? The Padres and Patriots... at least, that's all I know. (Pirates don't count.)

And if I offend anyone, please understand it's not my intention, for I'm just speaking my mind, which is only working with half a lobe. mrgreen  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games