Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Urgent Halloween help needed!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ayeaka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:53 am
Ok. Anyone here experienced with latex/know of online tutorials? To be specific, stuff to make masks, prop accessories, ect. I'll be making..a tongue, and gums for a canine head piece.(A mask with a hinged jaw, and such.)

Also, tutorials on making a realistic headpiece with a foam base would be nice. I recall finding one, (semi-cartoony) one using sheets of foam wrapped around the head and carved. But now I can't find it..

If anyone else knew where to get it, that'd be fantastic.

old topic
Hmkay.. So I finished what has been my baby project for a while.. A corset. <3 (Pictures soon..) I need to take the sides in a wee bit, as it's a bit big for me, but then I'll have pictures galore.

But, it got me thinking.. I've been finding a lot of pretty shirts during my thrift store searches, and, while gorgeous, I can't see myself wearing them, and they often don't fit well..

..but I love the fabric on them. I was thinking of buying one of the larger ones, popping the seams, and using the fabric to make another corset. Has anyone else ever tried something simular? I'm thinking it'd work nicely, anyway.. and it'd be cheaper than spending more for a couple of yards of satin, again.. xD; But I'm not sure whether or not it'd be a good idea, yet. Corsets can be made out of just about anything I've found, (anything from suede, to satin, to velvetine, to broadcloth, or so says the pattern I used.)

(I'm already fairly broke from having to buy six yards of velvetine for a cape/cloak I'm making. >.<; )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:40 pm
I ripped out the seams of a sewn together sweater I found at the thrift store and made a poncho, but I don't think that's really all that similar.
As long as you find something that fits you pretty well already and has (a lot) of extra fabric, I think it would be pretty okay to make one like that. But I've never gotten past the point of "wow, I wish I could make a corset" portion of the creation process for a corset. So yeah. <.<
I wish you good luck.  

MicroMiniMuffins

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:27 am
Sounds like an awesome idea to me.

I have tried to make things from other things a few times, but they never really turn out right for me or I get stumped on how to do the next step and I give up half way through.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:56 am
I be me
Sounds like an awesome idea to me.

I have tried to make things from other things a few times, but they never really turn out right for me or I get stumped on how to do the next step and I give up half way through.

But half the fun of making stuff is figuring out how to do it...<.< Well...it is for me at least...
And I know how the 'doesn't cooperate with me' thing goes...  

MicroMiniMuffins

Ayeaka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:28 pm
Mhm. x3 Well, the corset's on hold. However, I'm almost completely finished with my cloak, so pictures of that'll be up VERY soon.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games