Pentacle: Personal Meanings

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:49 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Pentacle is among the most frequently used symbols in Neopaganism, along with ones such as the triquetta, ankh, triple moon and others. This symbol means different things to different people. We each have our own way of thinking about what a symbol means to us.

arrow What does the pentacle mean to you, whether or not you use it in your practice?
arrow What do each of the five points of the star represent to you?
arrow What signifigance is created by the fact that these five points are all connected by lines?
arrow What does the circle represent to you?
arrow Does the upside-down pentagon in the middle mean anything to you? What about the other negative spaces created (the triangles and fifths of circles)?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:25 pm
arrow What does the pentacle mean to you, whether or not you use it in your practice?

The pentacle to me, stands for everything I strive to, and everything I have accomplished. It stands for my heritage and it stands for my future.

Each point represents one of the five elements, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Spirit/Crystal.

arrow What signifigance is created by the fact that these five points are all connected by lines?

This connection represents the inevitable connection between each element and their attributes.

The circle, represents the circle or web of life. All of the interconnecting strands are equal to the all of the energy and matter in the universe compressed into one being. That has significance to me.

arrow Does the upside-down pentagon in the middle mean anything to you? What about the other negative spaces created (the triangles and fifths of circles)?

The pentagon and other negative spaces represent the flip-side there is to everything, and the importance of having two sides to everything. Without Death there is merely Life, and with infinite life, there is infinite time with which to accomplish something, so there is no reason for which to try and accomplish your goals.  

[Poetic Death]

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:43 pm
Personally, I really only jived with the star when I was following the Morrigan. The pentacle is one of Her symbols, so it seemed appropriate. However, She and I have parted ways, and I really don't have any particular urge to wear it.

In practice/ritual, that's a different matter. Seeing as I've dabbled a bit in ceremonial magic, I tend to see it as a symbol of power, associated with the four+1 elements.

I'll answer more later, when I feel like thinking more ><  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:40 am

A pentacle to me is life. It's the cycle. It's faith and hope. It's the strength to do what I need to and more.

Many things. Mostly the balance of the elements and their importance in life's balance

It further proves everything in life is connected. That the connection is healthy and one to be aware of.

The circle is the cycle we face. It's also binding. Everything is contained.

The pentagon keeps balance within the pentacle. It's like the laws of physics. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Everything has a counterpart that is necessary no matter how it's viewed.

m3_3aT_mUffinS

iolitefire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:20 am
I don't really associate it with the pentacle because to me it represents witchcraft and Wicca which are two things I don't involve myself in. While I sometimes use the elements in my magic, its usually only for formal celebrations. And even then, I just use the basic four since I don't really find Spirit to be the most valid there personally.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:15 am
Hmm... the idea that the pentagon represents the balance to things is very interesting; I haven't heard that take on it before. =)  

Starlock
Crew

Kamikaze Noodle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:39 pm
What does the pentacle mean to you, whether or not you use it in your practice?

It means to me a great protection, but also an obvious balance of the elements

What do each of the five points of the star represent to you?

Spirit, Wind, Fire, Water, Earth. (The somewhat common take on it.)

What signifigance is created by the fact that these five points are all connected by lines?

Just a mutual connection and understanding between all points and angles. On a deeper level, I see it as a connection between many different perspectives of each angles. 3nodding

What does the circle represent to you?

A ring of protection, hightening (sp? sorry, I'm horrible) of the protection aspect.

Does the upside-down pentagon in the middle mean anything to you? What about the other negative spaces created (the triangles and fifths of circles)?

Umm, I know very faintly about the degrees of Wiccanism that one degree has the inverted pentacle as its symbol, and then the obvious 'satanic' symbol, whether it's stereotype and misconception or not I'm not sure. *shrug*  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:01 pm
What does the pentacle mean to you, whether or not you use it in your practice?

to me it is a simple of protection and perfection

What do each of the five points of the star represent to you?

they have amany meanings to me. the 5 main points of the human body(head, hands, feet) being the most dominant

What signifigance is created by the fact that these five points are all connected by lines?

these lines to me represent the energy that surrounds and flows through all things, and the unification of all things through this energy.

What does the circle represent to you?

the circle represents continuity. it never begins and never ends.

Does the upside-down pentagon in the middle mean anything to you? What about the other negative spaces created (the triangles and fifths of circles)?

i tend to draw a five pointed star with a pentagon on the outside instead of a circle. if memory serves this is a short lived medeival modification to the pentagram, and it seems to sit well with me. the spece in the centre seems to be a place for the central point of the human body, the heart, or a focus point for energy, which is what i typically use it as.  

DR490N

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:34 am
Hmm... very interesting DR490N; sometimes the pentacle is overlayed on the human body though I have not seen many who use that as their prefered interpretation. Putting a pentagon on the outside is also an interesting idea; would give a different feel to the symbol.

Kamikaze Noodle, you're right that a degree of Wicca (FYI, Wicca is just Wicca, not Wiccanism) that uses an inverted pentacle; that's the second degree in the more traditional practices such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian. The upside-down varieity was considered Satanic long before it was used in Wicca, though. Once a symbol of protection and magic, it was demonized by the church like many other Pagan-reminisque esoteric practices. There are some decent pages on the net out there about the history of the symbol... perhaps I'll post one up here for you guys?

Until then you can go and visit the thread in the Datahenge complied by Gypsy Blue. =)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:27 pm
Starlock

Kamikaze Noodle, you're right that a degree of Wicca (FYI, Wicca is just Wicca, not Wiccanism) that uses an inverted pentacle; that's the second degree in the more traditional practices such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian. The upside-down varieity was considered Satanic long before it was used in Wicca, though. Once a symbol of protection and magic, it was demonized by the church like many other Pagan-reminisque esoteric practices. There are some decent pages on the net out there about the history of the symbol... perhaps I'll post one up here for you guys?

Until then you can go and visit the thread in the Datahenge complied by Gypsy Blue. =)

Ah! Sorry about my horrid diction sometimes... emo blaugh I'm getting worse and worse, whether I am suffering from sleep deprivation or not >.<

Thanks for that, much help. <3  

Kamikaze Noodle

DR490N

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:01 pm
User Image

i assume this is the type of pentacle you meant, starlock.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:25 pm
What does the pentacle mean to you, whether or not you use it in your practice? Protection, my connection to the elements, shows that I have chosen a path for myself and not let anyone else choose for me.

What do each of the five points of the star represent to you? Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Spirit. There are more meanings but it would take waaaay too long for me to explain.

What signifigance is created by the fact that these five points are all connected by lines? That one thing can’t exist without the other and that there must be balance between them all.

What does the circle represent to you? That nothing truly ends.

Does the upside-down pentagon in the middle mean anything to you? What about the other negative spaces created (the triangles and fifths of circles)? That the person who wears it cares more for the flesh than the spirit.  

Lady Detarra

PoeticVengeance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:30 pm
The pentacle actually plays no role whatsoever in my practice.

This symbol is the one I use to invoke Brimstar and channel him.

User Image

But individual channeling symbols aren't really tied to the Aspects, as I can use that symbol to connect with Luna too.

Its more like a personal channeling symbol that reflects me and my connection to the Ether in general.

I generally don't have official symbols (Etherism is new as hell), although the three petaled celtic symbol for the three stages of life carries a certain significance to me and the Taoism symbol does too.

(That's just because Cycles, Stages and Balance are a big part of Etherism)

It really depends on what draws your connections closer and better. That's what grants power to any symbol, which by themselves are powerless.

A symbol only has as much power as YOU give it, through using it as your connection point with the energies of the universe and others.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:24 pm
Okay, I was going to answer everything you asked, but the third (maybe fourth) question bugs me a bit to think about.

question What signifigance is created by the fact that these five points are all connected by lines?

It's not so much that the five points are connected, it's that not every point is connected with another.

Sprit: connects to Earth and Fire.
Water: connects to Air and Earth
Fire: connects to Spirit and Air
Earth: connects to Water and Spirit
Air: connects to Fire and Water

Do they use this connection in astrology to determine cooperation of signs based on their element? But even then, that doesn't explan why they're only connected to two other elements. Why is the omniscient element of Spirit only connected to Earth and Fire? Does that hint that in the afterlife we actually remain on this Earth in Hell? I know we don't believe in a devil, and therefore we don't believe in a hell, but if Christianity really did steal from our religion, perhaps the concept of hell came from this?

Or perhaps I'm blowing this out of proportion, and it's only beecause 5 lines are much easier to draw than lines connecting all elements. Maybe much like the English language, we've boiled down the complexities to just the outline. But I doubt that somehow.

I'm not going to be able to sleep wondering about this..

Quadadiddle
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces