Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"The Bottom Apostrophe"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zai Luxemaris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:47 pm
Here's an amusing conversation I just had with my mom, who is one of the biggest grammar Nazis I know. We were discussing how to create an emoticon of a coffee cup. c[_]

Mom: I saw it in a magazine. You type a lower-case "c," then a bracket, then an underscore, then another bracket, and they put a little (and she drew an apostrophe in the air with her finger) at the end to look like a curl of smoke.
Me: ...You mean, an apostrophe?
Mom: Yeah, the one you use for contractions, not the bottom one.
Me: ...A comma?
Mom: Yeah. That one.

She claims it's because she's tired. I say she's just losing her mind. XD Anyway, thought people might find it amusing.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:32 am
Heh, that is quite amusing. xd  

[-]Battery[+]

.Never.Forever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:51 pm
I can relate to the senile relatives. My great grandmother had a similar... case... that she would throw open the door and yell at my uncle -who was conviniently away at war- and invite the soldiers in for some dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:16 pm
HAHA! Bottom apostrophe. That's great. What I hate is when I have to explain what the at sign (@), pound sign (#), ampersand (&), asterisk (*) and carrot (^) are to n00bs.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Underwater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:07 pm
Bottom apostrophe! That's a good one. I'll remember that.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:42 pm
I should tell that one to my English teacher and she what she would say to that. smile  

Litia_Echo

dark_elf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:35 am
c[_] Its cute. 4laugh

Yami no Hitokiri
HAHA! Bottom apostrophe. That's great. What I hate is when I have to explain what the at sign (@), pound sign (#), ampersand (&), asterisk (*) and carrot (^) are to n00bs.

I thought # was "number", & was "and", then * was a star. (or used to indecate action in a gaia role play)

My friend did this, o) , which made me laugh. 4laugh (its a cyclops)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:13 pm
If I said that, everyone would look at me like i was crazy.  

she_died_smiling

Raito-kun`

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:23 am
.Never.Forever.
I can relate to the senile relatives. My great grandmother had a similar... case... that she would throw open the door and yell at my uncle -who was conviniently away at war- and invite the soldiers in for some dinner.

O___o Oh my, does your grandmother need a therapist?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games