Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Daylight saving(s?)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:07 am
Here in Sydney, Australia, daylight saving started today. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, it might have just ended when you see this. Now, whether you like it or not, there's one thing I wonder about: should it be "daylight saving" or "daylight savings?"

I first thought about this earlier on this year when I first got my HSC timetable. There is "DAYLIGHT SAVINGS COMMENCE" printed on it on the appropriate date. A teacher tried to ask the class whether there should be an S or not, and someone said "mind your own subject area" (that was a maths teacher).

Well, this is certainly our subject area. I know that both spellings are commonly used, but which one do you use? Do you think the other one doesn't sound as appropriate?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 pm
Daylight saving time.  

The Man who was Thursday

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:48 pm
When I was a kid, I thought it was "daylight savings time". Now that I'm older, dropping the S seems more appropriate. Savings are what we keep in our bank accounts, but this is about "saving" daylight by setting the clock forward an hour. Of course we really know it's all about adding another hour of daylight for stores to stay open, but whatever.

edit: I was rather curious and did a Google search for "daylight savings time". All the results came back without the S.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:48 pm
I thought it should be "daylight saving time" without the S too. It's time when we save daylight, so it's "daylight saving" time. That teacher said the S made it confusing, as if it's a savings account.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

CrossCountrySprinter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:23 pm
I, personally, believe it is used with a "S". I think it just sounds more appropriate.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:05 am
obviously none of you have read the report on daylight savings by the onion.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54363

in this case, it technically would be savings, but interestingly enough, the title of the article lists it as daylight saving time. go figure.  

stevetom

dark_elf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 am
I say it with an "s". Also you turn your clocks back on hour yesterday (or which ever day you had).  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:44 am
The 's' really is unnecessary, superfluous even. Personally I say 'savings time' but it doesn't need to be. It's just what I've grown up saying.  

DNA_Guru

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:02 am
stevetom
obviously none of you have read the report on daylight savings by the onion.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54363

in this case, it technically would be savings, but interestingly enough, the title of the article lists it as daylight saving time. go figure.

That's great! In that case it would be "savings". I think their attitude of requiring us to wake up earlier instead of giving us sunlight is appropriate for a Republican government as well. God forbid anything be free. rofl

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:39 pm
Daylight Savings just ended for us over here in California. Thank goodness.  

Kairi_12

mr1989foster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:25 am
Daylight Saving. Always. You do not use a plural when talking about certain things. Daylight is one of them.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:52 am
mr1989foster
Daylight Saving. Always. You do not use a plural when talking about certain things. Daylight is one of them.

Your answer is correct, but your logic makes no sense.  

The Man who was Thursday

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:25 pm
CrossCountrySprinter
I, personally, believe it is used with a "S". I think it just sounds more appropriate.

I agree, although I think it sounds better as "Savings" it makes more sense as "Saving"  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:03 pm
Since "saving" is a verb, I say that no "s" should go on the end. However, everyone says it with the "s." What people say and what people write are often different depending on region.

And where I live, there is no Daylight Saving Time stressed  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:38 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
Since "saving" is a verb, I say that no "s" should go on the end. However, everyone says it with the "s." What people say and what people write are often different depending on region.

And where I live, there is no Daylight Saving Time stressed

actually saving is a gerund.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces