Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Don't they have people proofread these things?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niminue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:43 pm
This just showed up in my email, and it pained me so much I have to share it.

From the official campaign for Sen. Herb Kohl (one of my state's - Wisconsin - senators), the title of an email I received inviting me to attend a rally:

Your Invited To Join Senator Herb Kohl

I didn't know I had an "invited", much less that it had joined the senator!

Does anyone else ever get the urge to email people back and correct their grammar/spelling/etc.? I've never actually dared to do it, because it seems a little too rude, but the temptation is always there. Especially in cases like this, where it makes a professional politician - someone whose livelihood is words - makes an obvious and extremely noticable mistake like that.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:10 am
Is there any chance that was a spam email designed to look like it was from your senator? I am always getting spams with horrid spelling and grammar, especially those Nigerian ones. How does someone who doesn't even bother with spelling and grammar expect me to trust them with my money? It boggles the mind.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Niminue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:31 am
Nope, it's the real deal. That's what's mindboggling about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:54 pm
Good God. The Senator needs a dictionary! Or...maybe..he..is stalking you...like that US official did....  

[Joan De Arc]

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:20 pm

If you didn't e-mail them back about it, I'm sure someone did and they're feeling pretty embarrassed right now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:45 am
Makes you know which candidates NOT to vote for. wink  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Aerin-Sol9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:21 am
Wow, are you serious? That's pretty scary. burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:27 am
Maybe, as can be the case, what you actually experienced was an occurrence of subjectus-interruptus ( shhhh, I know it's not real Latin; it's what I like to think of as Looney Tunes Latin) whereby the subject line gets cut off due to size restrictions.

Maybe what the subject line was actually suppose to read was:

Your "Invited To Join Senator Herb Kohl's Star Wars Appreciation Party, I Was" commemorative plates, featuring a tasteful portrait of Yoda, are now available for the reasonable price of $29.99.

Sure they may still have forgotten the opening quotation marks, but those are more for clarity and are not, strictly speaking, grammatically necessary.

So, while we can still ask ourselves whether or not they have people to proofread their P.R. e-mails, wouldn't our time be better spent asking the two more important questions this e-mail raises? Those questions are, of course:

1) How did you get an invitation to join Senator Herb Kohl's Star Wars appreciation party?
2) Just how many commemorative plates do you get for $29.99?

(Just so you know this post is intended to be funny and I am not in any way trying to make light of Niminue's question. Unfortunately, I too am usually a little chicken when it comes to e-mailing people about errors in things they have sent me; but what really scares me about e-mails like this is that the Senator probably does have people to check correspondence for grammatical errors, professional people who do that kind of a thing for a living, and yet they still missed it. That's three year-old in a haunted house scary.)  

[Mammon]

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:36 pm
Most Emails with spelling errors are fake; I got one from "PayPal" (which I don't even use, by the way) that had horrendous errors. I reported this to the real PayPal website and caught another online "Phisher."

Sometimes, people are just idiots.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 am
Niminue

...Does anyone else ever get the urge to email people back and correct their grammar/spelling/etc.?...

The sad thing is, I do that a lot. xd I also get many reply emails telling me "This isn't school", etc.  

Xx_Murderous Doll_xX

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:56 pm
i correct people's spelling all the time! I actualy find it realy fun sometimes. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:19 pm
I'm usually shy about it. However, given the nature of the guild, I'm becoming more proactive (I hate that word).

"Realy" and "actualy" are both spelled with two L's.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items