Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Single letters...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[-]Battery[+]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:34 am
I have a challenge:

Say the letter 'd' on it's own, without saying any other letter.

'Duh', 'dee', 'dah' and so on don't count.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm
Yes they do!

Phonation is mandatory to "say" any letter or to sing the alphabet. Or to sing or say anything. It seems like someone likes to make fun of bass vocabulary. Well, this bass has something to sing to you - dum dum dum dum dum. So there.  

Gachetemas

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:44 pm
Impossible.

Voiced plosives require a vowel. B, D, and G.

You have to let some air go for the sound to be complete, and in order for it to be voiced, you have to be using your vocal cords... which results in saying a vowel.

You can produce the sounds for things like v, f, s, z, l, r, easily without a vowel, since they are all fluids/fricatives, and sounds like P, T, and K can be produced with only breath after.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:32 pm
Ezra Pound
Impossible.

You have to let some air go for the sound to be complete, and in order for it to be voiced, you have to be using your vocal cords... which results in saying a vowel.

You can produce the sounds for things like v, f, s, z, l, r, easily without a vowel, since they are all fluids/fricatives, and sounds like P, T, and K can be produced with only breath after.
You have a very good piont, but I do have one question.......how exactly do you know this?  

Prettier_Then_You

Fatal Hilarity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:39 am
Prettier_Then_You
Ezra Pound
Impossible.

You have a very good piont, but I do have one question.......how exactly do you know this?
I'm not him, but I suppose he's read about phonology.
I disike phonology. :/  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:07 pm
Prettier_Then_You
Ezra Pound
Impossible.

I study linguistics.  

The Man who was Thursday

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:11 am
It can't be done because you have to use your voice to say the D. It can be done with letters like the T and F because those only require the lips and tongue.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:14 am
I tried to explain this to my brother and he just couldn't understand. rolleyes  

dark_elf

xXxTears_Of_A_VampirexXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:32 pm
Prettier_Then_You
Ezra Pound
Impossible.

You have a very good point, but I do have one question.......how exactly do you know this?

You can not say the letter 'D' on it's own because it's impossible to say the letter without it adding a vowel like 'E' when you say the letter.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:15 pm
Maybe it's just me, but by moving my tongue in a fashion similar to the one used to make a 't' or 'd' sound, without using any vowel sounds, I have created a sound somewhere in between the two. That is, as far as I can tell, the closest one can possibly get to completing the stated challenge.  

Xillania

JinxLovesRHPS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:56 am
Xillania
Maybe it's just me, but by moving my tongue in a fashion similar to the one used to make a 't' or 'd' sound, without using any vowel sounds, I have created a sound somewhere in between the two. That is, as far as I can tell, the closest one can possibly get to completing the stated challenge.

I just tried that too. It's like saying door, but some hit man came in and wrapped his hands around my neck so I couldn't finnish and all I got out was this nasty clicking D.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:39 am
chinasmiling
I have a challenge:

Lies and propaganda! You are setting us up for failure in a attempt to dash our dreams and break our spirit!  

[ Pyrite ]

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:41 pm
A lot of consonants do this. Another interesting topic: H. When you say it as a letter, it's "ayche," But when you say it in a word, it's more like "huh." This confuses me.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:41 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
A lot of consonants do this. Another interesting topic: H. When you say it as a letter, it's "ayche," But when you say it in a word, it's more like "huh." This confuses me.

W.  

The Man who was Thursday

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces