Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Musketeer Pants?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maer^ier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:35 am
I'm knitting myself some Musketeer pants, and I've basically got the pattern for the legs and all, but I'm not sure about the crotch and waist areas. Do I increase, then decrease, or keep it at the same level?

If someone has a sewing pattern for pants, it would be greatly helpful, because pretty much all I need to see is the shape.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:01 pm
Oh! And also I need to know if there is a tremendous about of increasing needed as the pants go up the thighs, It's worsted yarn knit on size 15 needles, so it should stretch if I really need it to, but it'd be easier to calculate how long I need to make them if I don't have to stretch them.

Pity a beginning knitter?

Maer^ier

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:18 am
if you want to know the sape of pants then simply look at the shape of a pair of pants that you own.

get a s**t pair from a charity shop and cut them up if you want to look really closly.

*isn't sure if this is actually helpfull but is trying anyway*  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:15 am
by musketeer pants I'm guessing that you mean the sort that are fitted to just under the knee and then flair out largely, gently sloping in to be fitted once more at the hip?

if you're going up the leg you would need to make a bunch of increases when you hit the bottom of the knee, then as you come over the knee you would start to very gradually decrease as you worked your way up the leg.

as for the crotch, you need to increase on one side only if you are making the pants in 4 pieces or on both sides if you are making them in 2 pieces, then decrease again about back to where it was. With the waist I would decrease just a little on the opposite side.

Heres a sloper pattern for some doll pants to give you a rough idea of how crotches are shaped.  

Phishy

Dapper Genius

Tes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:31 am
~
The above pattern is pretty spot on save that the a**-side of the pants has a greater curve at the crotch being that there's more stuff on a person's backside than front (no matter what a guy might try to tell you).

For the record:
I fail to see why anyone would want to wear knit pants

~

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:44 am
Tes
For the record:
I fail to see why anyone would want to wear knit pants
~

I'm going to have to agree. Musketeer pants kinda flare out and stay flared out. Even the daintiest wool or stiffest linen is going to droop on you and not hold its form. This seems like a project much better suited to fabric.  

Catcheen
Crew

Maer^ier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 am
Hey, thanks you guys, that's Just what I needed. 3nodding

They're not really pants per se, more like... an over covering...? They're going to be knit in worsted weight on big needles, so there'll be nive of big holes in them, and then I plan to wear them over my [[try not to laugh]] spandex biking pants. If they work out, they'll be a part of my elf costume pattern I'm working on.

Drooping...? Yipes. I hope they end up being light enough...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:25 am
Maer^ier

They're not really pants per se, more like... an over covering...? They're going to be knit in worsted weight on big needles, so there'll be nive of big holes in them, and then I plan to wear them over my [[try not to laugh]] spandex biking pants. If they work out, they'll be a part of my elf costume pattern I'm working on.

Unfortunately, the more holes a knit fabric has in it, the better drape it has. Meaning, it's gunna droop. Unless you stuff it? But if there's holes, you'll see the stuffing. The only way I can think of to get a stiff fabric is to knit really tight on smaller needles, but then that adds weight, so it'll still droop.  

Catcheen
Crew

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:33 pm
does any1 know a ggood pattern to do tripp pants knitted?
i was thinking of just doing tube or circular style knitting but it ended too wide as wide as a hakama( which i would really like too a pattern) but it wasnt what i want. should i just make the front side which is the front legs and the croch areas and a duplicate for the back and sew around at the sides? or will that be too narrow? help me.... crying pm if you have sugestions or ideas.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:26 pm
Catcheen
Maer^ier

Unfortunately, the more holes a knit fabric has in it, the better drape it has. Meaning, it's gunna droop. Unless you stuff it? But if there's holes, you'll see the stuffing. The only way I can think of to get a stiff fabric is to knit really tight on smaller needles, but then that adds weight, so it'll still droop.
~
Alternately, knit them slightly large and felt them a little and they should hold shape better. However don't use large gauge needles or it will shrink that much more when you felt your pants.
~

Tes

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:21 pm
well i was thinking of making some tripp pants, i almost succeded one time everything was ok no huge holes bc i used small needles and such but i had no pattern to go along with so th leggeing was too large/wide, does any1 know any good ones? i seen some online but it didnt include the crotch well i just need a picture that has "every" part of the pants layed out flat so i can possibly knit the same shaps and then just shape it as i sew it together( well not sew as in machine but with a thread and needle with normal yarn worested weight like the samei used to knoit the pants)  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games