Witches and Pagans in the Media -- Updated 1/28 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:01 am
I'm iffy on this.

On one hand, I find this to be great. I find it good to have paganism get some spotlight and even have some people see it in a better light.

On the other hand, I agree with Nihil. As much as it'll start off with good intentions, eventually (and probably sooner) it's going to get out of hand. "Stereotypes ******** galore". I just can't stop thinking about 7th Heaven and how much that show irritates me, and it makes me wonder what that show would be like if it were paganism that was being promoted rather than christianity.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:32 pm
Starlock
So did anyone else catch the TLC special on a Wiccan family last night? While they didn't go into much detail on their practices (which is probably a good thing for a variety of reasons) the treatment was very good. The Reverend sounds like someone I'd like to meet; a woman with a strong personality and a real call to be clergy. She's doing some great work in her area building a strong and vibrant Neopagan community! Kudos!

I saw that show. I felt sorry for the two kids because they complained that their mother spent too much time counseling on the telephone, but at the same time, that's important work. Sounds like she could use a few people to lighten her workload.

I absolutely hated the guy who thought he knew the origins of the words "Wicca" and "church." I didn't know whether to laugh or bitchslap him through the tv (if only that were possible). That's the kind of person that absolutely positively must be avoided in documentaries, or at least they should have had someone else to tell a credible story.

Boadicia

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:39 pm
Boadicia
Starlock
So did anyone else catch the TLC special on a Wiccan family last night? While they didn't go into much detail on their practices (which is probably a good thing for a variety of reasons) the treatment was very good. The Reverend sounds like someone I'd like to meet; a woman with a strong personality and a real call to be clergy. She's doing some great work in her area building a strong and vibrant Neopagan community! Kudos!

I saw that show. I felt sorry for the two kids because they complained that their mother spent too much time counseling on the telephone, but at the same time, that's important work. Sounds like she could use a few people to lighten her workload.

I absolutely hated the guy who thought he knew the origins of the words "Wicca" and "church." I didn't know whether to laugh or bitchslap him through the tv (if only that were possible). That's the kind of person that absolutely positively must be avoided in documentaries, or at least they should have had someone else to tell a credible story.

I thought the thing with the kids was sad too. Hell, I wouldn't mind being her assistant, perhaps. It goes to show though that tremendous dedication to a project has its prices and it was a very human thing to show. We've got the same problems and issues that everyone else does.

Yeah, that guy was a bit bonkers. I understand where he's coming form though and that's a combination of ignorance and a bigotry produced out of ignorance. It's not like Christianity has a monopoly on the word "church." I've thought it a bit odd to refer to Wiccan "churches" as well, but it dosen't really bother me that much. How they presented him though, made the guy just look like a bigot. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but it does show the kind of intolerance people are really capable of and they'll even go on camera saying it. sweatdrop  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff