Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Make your own incense?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ayeaka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:16 pm
I've managed to find a decent few blends of powdered herbs, and they make a lovely variety of incense, however, I'd like to slow the burning process.

What do you suggest I mix in? I have absolutely no idea what to use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:47 pm
Maybe try doing a keyword search for "make your own incense" or something? Hard for me to even guess, I've never made my own.
Also, probably depending on what type you want (cone, stick, powder) the process will be done differently.  

firrantello

Ayeaka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:37 pm
I did a few searches, earlier, and found lots of different recipes, but I was wondering if anyone had actually made incense, and found an adhesive that worked best. I've basically been using water and flour, since the flour doesn't seem to change the smell any.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:15 pm
Hmm, I'd like to try making my own incense. I love incense.  

Wings Akimbo

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:39 pm
Most recipes I've seen use gum arabic as a binder, and saltpeter as a burn source. I'd actually recommend Scott Cunningham's book "Incence, Oils and Brews". It's a new-age book, yes, so it'll have info on what you could use your different concoctions for, but it's also got some of the best practical knowledge I've seen.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:02 pm
Oooh.. Saltpeter. I'd rather avoid that. :/ I do recall reading somewhat about the fumes given off of that being toxic, when it burns. I'll certainly keep an eye out for that book, though.  

Ayeaka

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:18 pm
I got my copy at halfprice books, but I think they have 'em at barnes and noble too. And I hadn't heard about toxic fumes with saltpeter before - do you have any more info on that? I'd like to read up on it.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:48 am
I just saw a segment on how they make saltpeter and I can honestly say that I wouldn't want it near anything that I was going to put in my house. Perhaps they've refined the process, but what I saw involved lots of urine and manure.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Ayeaka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:45 pm
Ah! Found it.

Quote:
Note: Using saltpeter as an oxidizer is a common ingredient in many charcoals sold today. Saltpeter on today's market is either sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate, both of these are toxic chemicals and warn against inhalation. We recommend using bamboo charcoal or makko to burn your incense. A good way to tell if your charcoal has saltpeter in it is to see if it crackles when lit, if it does it most probably contains saltpeter. Here are MSDS reports on sodium nitrate and potassium nitrate that we've found on the web.

http://www.scents-of-earth.com/makyourownna.html  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:27 pm
Wow, I'm glad I hadn't tried it, then! Thanks a ton for the info smile

I probably woundn't have been able to get any regardless, though; they tend to watch us middle eastern folks who start buying chemical incindiaries rolleyes  

Zahra Ovaci

Ayeaka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:28 am
-nod- Sure thing.

And, yeah.. -shakes head- Yet they dun seem to care when any random teenager very suspiciously purchases a can of Off, and a lighter together, with nothin' else..

Hm. I guess flour and water make a suitable glue, then. The incense pellets I made earlier burn well, n'all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:47 pm
I don't think I have the time or resorces now to create my own insence.
But you all have deffinatly got me interested.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:06 pm
You guys always give me such great ideas! This sounds so interesting!
I wish I had the money to try it...  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff