8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Smoker: trying to quit
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Ex-smoker
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Anti-smoker, give me that fire extinguisher!
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:47 am
I'll be glad when the "no smoking in pubs" law is passed.

I've got nothing against smokers as long as they're not imposing the nicotene on me. Smoking is their descision and I don't mind if it's not doing me any damage.

The trouble is, there's no way to avoid it in enclosed places. I'm a singer, which means my larynx is my meal ticket. I sing folk songs, which takes me to a lot of pubs and makes it impossible to avoid second hand smoke. I do everything I can to minimize it — setting up in a non-smoking section, near a window, or outside if it's warm enough. But if you're in a smoky room for three hours, whiffs are going to get down your throat no matter what you do.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask smokers to light up outside the main room and not impose it on the rest of us. It may be a pain in the a**, but it means people with healthy lungs can stay that way.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:13 pm
MortSanglant
zz1000zz
MortSanglant
Smoking is revolting.

Completely non-appealing.

And, like alcohol, I hold no respect for those who choose to destroy their bodies.

In the topic about alcohol to changed your stance to "I have no respect for their decision." That position i understand, and have no problem with.

Please tell me you would not decide to hold no respect for a person because of one choice. It seems silly to say, "Mother Teresa was great and all, but you know, she drank wine at communion."

(Yes, that was hyperbole.)

Must I respecify again?

It's the same stance, worded somewhat differently; maybe less obviously.

I don't see why it truly matters to you that much.

That is not the same stance. Saying you hate smoking is reasonable, saying you hate smokers is not (replace hate with "have no respect for" if you wish). It is the same with Christians who think homosexuality is wrong. That does not bother me. What bothers me is when you say you have no respect for gay people. Rejecting individuals for a single choice or action is lame.

And no, it does not matter that much to me. I just make a policy of responding to bigotry.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:20 pm
I would like to avoid a flame war here. I am locking this thread until Lurichan is back online to arbitrate.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff