Tacos
  Pizza
  Pirates
  Ninjas
View Results

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:22 pm
confused Every time I try to discuss something political or just not your normal "So whats your favorite band" conversation, it goes absolutly no where most of the time! The people don't know anything about the subject, are uniterested, have no opinions on it, keep repeating the same argument over and over and over and never move on, or can't hold on to what I'm saying long enough! In one ear and out the other! confused

If someone has their facts wrong or misunderstands the issue and I try to explain it to them, they won't listen or what I say has no effect on them!

Any one else have this issue????  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:26 pm
For example, the "homosexuality is right/wrong" debate. I hate it when people try to catch me into that one, so I merely state my opinion and stop. There's no way to prove something as right or wrong simply because those two factors are courtesy of one's own personal judgment instead of objective fact- which is used and respected in debate.  

-Isel-

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:50 pm
"There are two things you should NEVER discuss in polite company: religion and politics,"

~[Unknown]

People have opinions, and generally, people feel quite strongly about their opinions. This leads to some very angry debates which have no right or wrong answer.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 pm
Things also tend to go around in circles, going over the same argument/point. This makes the topic kind of useless because it just keeps...spinning.  

ShutUpandPlay

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:36 am
This is precisely why I don't post in the ED. People just talk past each other and are unwilling or unable to listen to conflicting arguments. They forget that you can disagree with someone without disrespecting them, and that an opposing viewpoint can sometimes bring up things that are worth considering.

Politics is one of those things that sparks really strong opinions. It takes very placid people to talk about it without raised voices.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:50 am
a lot of things have to fall in place for someone to have a decent discucssion...
you have to have multiple people of reasonable intelct...who are willing to listen to rational arguments and get feedback....they cant have too much of a preconcived notion of what they are debating....
this can be really hard to find anywhere  

ketchakik

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces