Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
Hatred within the game

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hi
  Literacy
View Results

[Joan De Arc]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:29 pm
Did anyone get insulted in a game, such as Halo online on computer? I had no idea what this person said, like:
"u n00b 1 pWn U cuz U Cuk! U ar3 a b1thc nd a dag or killlin me on Jalo!"
Me: *stare* GOD NO! BAD GRAMMER! EJECT! EJECT! *clicks on mouse*
That wording was from the Decline of Videogames 2.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:05 pm
Video games and the AOLer Netspeech.. It is a verbal plague. Luckily I've not played any of the Halo games online.

Now have you played World of Warcraft? I hardly talk to anyone on that game since 9 out of 10 players are too mentally lazy to type WORDS. First of all, its a roleplaying game so I try to roleplay with other players whenever possible. It really adds to the game! But even while other people are 'in character' they're basically "helo. r u on a quest" I just cringe at the screen and promptly ignore them. Experience has taught me that trying to actually tell them to spell anything correctly only brings more hassle and fruitless results.

Oh and like most higher level players I try to be friendly and help out the occasional low leveled player kill an enemy as I'm passing by and what do I get in return?

"thx" and then they run off.

evil

I know that in killing said bad guy I had clicked more than three buttons and also used up some of my precious game time to help them out, and all they can muster is half-assing their appreciation? Its not like it burns too many of those precious calories to actually type that little bit more!

Laziness, that is all it is.  

The Librarian Battlerager

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:35 am
While I feel for both of you, I believe this thread goes in the "'TXT TLK' horror stories" forum.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:08 am
foolish_pyrite
While I feel for both of you, I believe this thread goes in the "'TXT TLK' horror stories" forum.
Uhh..where's that?..o.O and how do me move?

Librarian:Oh god, I know how you feel...
*PiratesKingOnline*
"ANYONE NEEDS SOME HELP?" *girls comes up*
Who would want you to get help from you jerk?
Me:....
*MapleStory*
It's a bit more....thankful...but I had this after helping a mage boy-in-training....
Him: Will you go out with me?
Me:.....I don't do online dating...
Him: Fck you then
Me....*defames*  

[Joan De Arc]

Demonic Platypus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:52 am
Playing on Battle.net is a grammarian's nightmare. Playing Diablo II on multiplayer is a dreadful task. Some of the arguments are hilarious, though. A couple of days ago, one argument went something like this:

Person 1: u fuker u stole muy stuff giv ir bak
Person 2: no i didnt u n00b. i dunt want ur stuff
Person 1: well im reportin ur a** bcuz ur a fukin haxing n00b neways

My heart wept, but I laughed.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:44 am
For me, online games are a gray area when it comes to how people should type. Once when I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004, I was trying to type out a sentence and got fragged while doing so. It's almost to where you have to keep it as short as possible so you can still keep a lookout for enemies.

In the case of online games, like with cell phones, I'd leave it up to the person's own conscience and wouldn't berate them either way.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

stevetom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:49 pm
exactly right. with online games, its really tough to type out whole sentences, especially when you're being attacked by half a dozen mobs.

Laziness is a factor, but I dont care all that much, nor does it matter. WoW, someone mentioned, is about role playing. Hey, thats how you play it, but some of us like to roll up our sleeves and dive in. Grammar falls by the wayside, and for good reason. Whats more important(barring the fact its a game, and not taking it seriously is priority No. 1) practicing safe grammar, or not dying in the middle of battle?  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games