Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
No way!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Green McGrig The Second.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:06 am
My Literact/Social Studies teacher is really lazy. She can't even write out the words Social Studies. Instead, she puts Soc. Stud. I don't get it. Even my homeroom teacher writes less and less. Its wierd...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:07 pm
If it's understood, why waste the extra energy?  

The Man who was Thursday

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:57 pm
It's a symptom of our mentally ill and overworked culture. People are expected to work longer hours and do more than ever before, so they take shortcuts when and where they can. Quality is sacrificed for quantity. Americans never seem to understand that sometimes, less is more.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:24 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
It's a symptom of our mentally ill and overworked culture. People are expected to work longer hours and do more than ever before, so they take shortcuts when and where they can. Quality is sacrificed for quantity. Americans never seem to understand that sometimes, less is more.

In this case, I think you're over-exaggerating.

Does it really matter if they include 6 more characters, which everyone knows?  

The Man who was Thursday

[Joan De Arc]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:22 pm
It's this...this world is getting lazier by the minute! Now that scientists and inventors are turning out new and better mechanics, it's discouraging the use of your legs...making us lazy...  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:05 pm
I mean, sure, it saves time and space, but some of the abbreviations are just ridiculous. You might as well just write out the word. For instance, writing "pgs." instead of "pages" is a bit pointless.  

Chaotic Nitemare

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:00 pm
Chaotic Nitemare
I mean, sure, it saves time and space, but some of the abbreviations are just ridiculous. You might as well just write out the word. For instance, writing "pgs." instead of "pages" is a bit pointless.

hence, I write p. or [if obvious] just the page numbers themselves.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:45 pm
...Uh, because "txt tlk" is known as text talk, but it's still wrong.

Another point, isn't a teacher supposed to set a good example for his/her students?

I highly doubt that laziness is a good example. neutral  

Zealot of Insanity

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:58 pm
Zealot of Insanity
...Uh, because "txt tlk" is known as text talk, but it's still wrong.

Another point, isn't a teacher supposed to set a good example for his/her students?

I highly doubt that laziness is a good example. neutral

It's.. not.. laziness.

It's efficiency.

Gah.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out