Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Whos left-handed?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ritzy_freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:42 pm
Hello, I'm new here. Well, I knit and As the topic says, I'm left-handed. I think its really hard to knit when I'm left-handed so everythings backwards. Is anyone here left-handed and share my pain or want to give us lefties tips? 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:37 pm
Atticus_freak
Hello, I'm new here. Well, I knit and As the topic says, I'm left-handed. I think its really hard to knit when I'm left-handed so everythings backwards. Is anyone here left-handed and share my pain or want to give us lefties tips? 3nodding

I'm not a lefty, nor have I taught a lefty to knit. However, I've talked to several knitting teachers that teach all knitters the "right handed" method. Since it's a foreign action for your hands to do anyway, you might as well learn it the way patterns are written. If you can learn the "right handed" way, you won't ever have to re-configure a whole pattern before you knit it.

And trust me, it's just as awkward to learn as a right-handed person. *grin* You just gotta keep with it and train your hands to do what you want them to.  

Catcheen
Crew

Ritzy_freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:15 am
sweatdrop I learned it the other way around. The worst part is teaching my 8 year old step-sister how to knit when she right-handed. God, that took forever!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:20 am
I don't find it hard to knit and I'm left handed, but the person who tought me (my older sis) is also left handed. So that could have made it easyer. sweatdrop  

Shadows sweet embrace

Ritzy_freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:37 am
Shadows sweet embrace
I don't find it hard to knit and I'm left handed, but the person who tought me (my older sis) is also left handed. So that could have made it easyer. sweatdrop
Lucky you stare I taught myself how to knit.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:08 am
no I'm right handed, but in the world of knitting I'm continental knitter... meaning I knit with my left hand rather than my right.
I don't know why I knit that way, its just what feel's right to me, but my best friend who is a lefty, she's an english knitter (right handed) so I have no idea. xd
but if you want you could check out continental knitting sights and you could lean to knit that way, all you really do is hold the yarn in your left hand.  

Lee Kushrenada

KariudoMegami

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:11 pm
Atticus_freak
Shadows sweet embrace
Lucky you stare I taught myself how to knit.
Heh, actually, so did I. -I'm the aforementioned sister- I knit the english way, and -although I also learned the other method- I find it to be easier, because I normally use my right hand for more 'delicate' or 'detail' things, whereas my left hand is my power hand. Does that make any sense? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:00 pm
I knit right handed. But it was never awkward for me. Probably because I teach myself things all the time, I crochet, and I plat a bunch of instrumsnts(which makes the awkward finger movements easier).
Plus I'm kind of a natural at most crafty type things...  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

Sammirah

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:13 am
I'm a lefty, but was taught to knit the "regular" way, and it's never felt uncomfortable.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:15 pm
Just another lefty checking in. I taught myself how to knit. After seeing all the heartache I'd have to go through to do it the left handed way, I decided to learn the right handed way....I know....no help at all.  

Mommette

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff