Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Socks!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Socks?
:o
100%
 100%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 23

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:37 pm
I just got a skein of sock yarn, and I've been trying to decide what sock pattern to use. I'm trying to find something that's not lacy and not excessively plain. Does anyone know of a good pattern?

I've already checked out the Knitty patterns, and none of those really do anything for me.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:49 pm
There's a craft book out called "Learn to knit socks!" that has a lot of sock patterns. They have a basic sock pattern, an argyle sock pattern, and several other types of socks. All of them use double-pointed needles.  

Brunette_Star

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:07 pm
Socks as far as the eye can see

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/socks.php  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:08 pm
I love knitting socks! XD I have no advice for you, pattern-wise (I've never used a sock pattern - my friend taught me the basics, and I've muddled my way through all my other pairs, teaching myself), except that I reccomend you try something simple to do. Turning the heel the first time will blow your mind, so make it easier on yourself and don't stick complicated cable patterns in there - at least not thefirst time. wink

Beboots

taligator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:19 pm
Here's a suggestion for staying motivated while knitting (or crocheting) socks ..

Start one, do half of it, start the next one and finish it ... you'll then only have half a sock to finish once you've finished that one.

A lot of people finish one sock and then lose interest in completing the second sock. When you've got one half completed you feel more motivated to finish since it's already half done.

Sock Knitters

Socks 101 (excellent photo instructions)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:56 pm
I guess I should note that I ended up going with Jaywalkers. 3nodding

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway. I went through a bunch of the Knitting Pattern Central patterns and bookmarked a bunch that I liked for future reference, but then my laptop died and I lost all my bookmarks. ): I'll find the patterns again, but it really sucks to have to go through them again.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

firrantello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:52 am
DecemberFlower
I guess I should note that I ended up going with Jaywalkers. 3nodding

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway. I went through a bunch of the Knitting Pattern Central patterns and bookmarked a bunch that I liked for future reference, but then my laptop died and I lost all my bookmarks. ): I'll find the patterns again, but it really sucks to have to go through them again.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I use del.icio.us so that won't happen. http://del.icio.us rocks. and you can tag them, so you can sort them pretty much however you want... i have mine by what the pattern makes, but i've seen some where it's by yarn weight or something. good luck recovering all your links at any rate.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games