Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Contractions Without the ' ?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Weve is not a word.
  it just looks weird.
View Results

Captain Purpleheart

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:15 pm
I constantly see people in the chatterbox, gd, etc. (homes of text talk) who are to freaking lazy to add the ' into a contraction.
I'd just like to remind people that something isn't a contraction until you add in the '.
It just makes me cringe when I see
dont
Im
your (instead of you're)
youre
isnt
weve
etc.

Remember the ' when you are typing contractions.
(I know I sound like I'm going over the top with this, but it just really annoys me)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:14 am
Oh, it gets on my nerves, too.

Sometimes I have to try not to say anything when my family/friends do it.  

Kitakun

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:04 pm
And it's weird when people do that to "we're" because then it becomes "were" which IS a word, but not the one that they intended to use.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:41 am
The apostrophe has to be the most abused punctuation mark in the English language. It's used where it shouldn't be: "The boy's drove their car's to their house", and not used where it should be: "Thats the dogs toy".

I went to the apostrophe's funeral and wept over its grave. RIP little possessive marker. We hardly knew ye.

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:24 pm
As much as it bothers me when people don't use it when they should, it bothers me more when people use it where they shouldn't. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I see it "over used" more.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:17 pm
snazy-a-tastic
As much as it bothers me when people don't use it when they should, it bothers me more when people use it where they shouldn't. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I see it "over used" more.

Agreed.  

Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:02 am
Leaving out the apostraphe is downright annoying, whether it be in contractions or as a possessive marker.

In the case of contractions, the point of the apostraphe in the first place is to show that so many letters are missing. Do people not learn this anymore?

And yes, over-use is defnitely just as annoying. As a tutor I see some pretty strange things, and it grates when I see these mistakes.

Actually, now that I think of it, over-use might be worse. Everytime I see something like 'you're' being used when 'your' should be used, I see red and want to stab someone. People who have grown up speaking and writing English should know this!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:31 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I went to the apostrophe's funeral and wept over its grave. RIP little possessive marker. We hardly knew ye.

Ye? That's a plural form of "you", right?  

The MoUsY spell-checker

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:43 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
Yami no Hitokiri

Ye? That's a plural form of "you", right?

Not really. He's using it as a dialectic form, so it doesn't matter at all.

Also, if thou wish to get technical, "you" is exclusively plural. "Thou" is the singular second person.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:11 pm
I always love seeing the olden language being debated.  

Arianna La Moire

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:52 pm
*Shudders* I really hate that! Why can't people type/speak/write properly! It is so annoying when you can't figure out what they are saying!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:18 pm
dark.hazel
I always love seeing the olden language being debated.

"olden language"?

what.  

The Man who was Thursday

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas