Fire
  Water
  Air
  Earth
View Results

Aiste Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:31 pm
The Bookwyrm
I think I have this book.... Ted Andrews' "Enchantments of the Faerie Realm", unless I'm mistaken?

Zodiac wise, I'm a water sign; the Chinese symbol for water and the Greek symbol for Scorpio were the first tattoo I ever got as a sort of affirmation, and it fits; I'm text book Scorpio almost to the bone. According to this system, I'm Air and double Ether (my first name being Vanessa). Not sure that fits quite so well, but it was neat to try.

Yep, that's the exact book I have. I finished reading it. Pretty interesting.

As far as I know, elementals are just that - based on elements and are pretty pure. If a fire elemental is a mix of elements, why's it a fire elemental? Though I think there are many different levels of spirits, faeries and elementals, could be in-betweens.

It would be worth researching further into the elements I think to learn where they came from and what they're based on. We can read someone elses interpretations of our zodiacs, birthdates and names but whether they fit or not, not many seem to have an understanding of what the information is actually based on. Something I don't really understand myself, but I'd like to look into that too.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:56 pm
Aiste Spirit

It would be worth researching further into the elements I think to learn where they came from and what they're based on. We can read someone elses interpretations of our zodiacs, birthdates and names but whether they fit or not, not many seem to have an understanding of what the information is actually based on. Something I don't really understand myself, but I'd like to look into that too.

What do you want to know? I'm not done yet, but I can tell you the Greek origins part fairly well. I'd have to pull together my disjunct notes files that are scattered about my hard drive and in random spiral notebooks first... but it's about damned time I do that anyway. Of course it's always better to do the research yourself... but you'd better like spending time in university libraries and doing lots of difficult digging. The occultic appropriation of the Greek system I haven't touched much yet, though... that information seems even HARDER to track down than its history through Greek philosophy. From what I've researched of the Greek system so far, modern occult elemental uses are pretty far removed from what the Greeks intended.

First and foremost, the elemental theories were designed to explain physical phenomena. Remember that a lot of early Greek philosophy is a sort of early science. They were wanting to figure out what the prime substance or substances were that composed things and also what mechanisms moved them to create the wonders around us. It wasn't at all about magic or horoscopes or all this other New Agey occultic stuff. It was a model for understanding the physical world.  

Starlock
Crew

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:32 pm
Regardless of what element you are or think you are...it is always possible to have more that one and use all those elements together. All of them can go hand in hand. Our own personalitys make up what kind of element we are, even our own person. Thats why sertin ppl work good with each other because they have an element that works both ways for them. Thats just myself saying that though.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:35 pm
If you ever want to read a good book based on elementals, I would recommend the The Gates Of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey. I love the book. It tells how elementals work in their own ways and It also tells the story of a water elemental who is trying to escape her Aunt(I belive) because She put a curese on her when she was little. Thats just a good book recommandation for ppl who like to read. Its fiction, but I see truth in it.  

Redwing~Shadow

Aiste Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 pm
redwing_shadow
Regardless of what element you are or think you are...it is always possible to have more that one and use all those elements together. All of them can go hand in hand. Our own personalitys make up what kind of element we are, even our own person. Thats why sertin ppl work good with each other because they have an element that works both ways for them. Thats just myself saying that though.

Everyone has aspects of every element, because they all work together. Just like skills, jobs, games and everything else, we have a more natural inclination to certain things. It makes sense to me that we would have a natural inclination towards certain elements just like those other things, since we're all different.

I'd think like the rest of our life, we control it to an extent, but not in its entirety. We do more and more as we grow older and learn to understand a lot more. I suppose it would be the same way with the elements. We are born, raised and take naturally to some elements, but as we grow older and learn to understand each element, including our own, we learn to take more control of who we are and better learn to balance out the elements with each other.

Quote:
If you ever want to read a good book based on elementals, I would recommend the The Gates Of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey. I love the book. It tells how elementals work in their own ways and It also tells the story of a water elemental who is trying to escape her Aunt(I belive) because She put a curese on her when she was little. Thats just a good book recommandation for ppl who like to read. Its fiction, but I see truth in it.

I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:25 pm
Aurora234
I find this all very interesting but I do have a question for you. I was given two names at birth. One stuck with me legaly and the other slowly faded even though i still bring it up. Do you know which name i should use for this?

I've always had a strong connection with every element. My house has all of them in it. Candles, plants, fountains, and wind chimes. I've had times where i would get angry and light bulbs would go out or break. I've had times where i was so sad and longed for something outside and out of no where a lone flower would appear even where it shouldn't be. There are days when i want wind to come and as soon as i think it, it comes very strongly. I don't have such a strong connection with water. It is just there to calm me and relax me.

so hopefully you can help me. I'm a Taurus therefore my element is Earth. My legal name is Brittany (the one on my birth certifigate) but my original name is Aurora. I'm not sure what one to go by. sweatdrop

try both

Aurora is pretty btw  

DracoJesi

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:15 pm
I'm a leo, so my "birth element" is fire. But I was born really close to Cancer so I'm also influinced by water. I'm acually more of a water and earth personality than fire, but fire (or more acuretly electrisity/lightning) is what I'm atracted to.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:07 am
I have double A's in my name Arnar it is derived from the word for Eagle.
So we have Ether and Air here, I've always connected well with air.
My zodiac is Taurus so Earth I've always liked earth too, and it feels like me.

Guess it fits rather well with me... When I meditate I usually experience oneness with Earth and Air before flowing into what I guess one might call Ether.  

Goddess Hekate
Crew

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:26 am
Oh. My. Gods. I was reading through the 3rd Edition of the Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft (to see how the 3rd ed was changed) and I was flabbergasted to see that when discussing the elements, the authors willy-nilly re-attributed the elemental qualities! It made me want to bang my head into the ground, run over to their houses, and scream "no no no no no!" at them. Ugh. This is the first time I've ever seen an incorrect attribution of the elemental qualities to the elements. Now, not mentioning that each element has a dominant quality is passable (and common) but just completely reorienting them? It totally screws up the entire system! Urgh! Yes. [sarcasm]Air sure is cool and dry. That's why it's you know... passive and draws things inwards and downards and is all solid like. Yes. That sounds so much like spring![/sarcasm] Urgh I hope this isn't a trend. xd

Pardon the uncharacteristic fit. sweatdrop Elemental systems is one of the few things I'm a bit less flexible about and the one thing you just do NOT change is the qualities attributed to each element. I just... had to get that out. emo  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:49 am
Hmmm...
I don't really find basing your element on your name or zodic sign to be useful. The element you are most attuned to should be the one you work the best with. Not everyone can work well with all the elements, that just happens. You may be able to do some work with each one, but there will always be one you work well with.
If I used your book's name and zodiac sign idea, I find that according to both, I'm wind and water....in real life, I don't work with either element. I'm more attuned with earth and fire. I work with those elements and disply traits of those elements far more than wind and water.
Elements are not pre-chosen for you. In some cultures, you had to seek out the element that best suited you through ritual and meditation. That book's disply of the elements is incredibly narrow. There are many other ways to view the elements and to work with them.  

iolitefire

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces