Reply The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild
the fuss about harry potter

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

starr_child_of_dragons

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:45 am
by making this post I don't not mean to knock christianity at all. I support christianity and all those who practice it, but I have noticed some opinions based on christianity about Harry Potter. Most associate HP with satanism, and they are completely wrong.
My friend has told me that she has a friend online and her father is a minister.He caught her reading a Harry Potter book(#4, I think), and he immediately snatched it from her and either threw it away or he burned it. Either way he won't allow her to watch or read anything of the Harry Potter nature.
So now, my friend's friend must get another book and read it behind her father's back because of his closed mind.
I have heard the HP contraversy about satanism and such, as long as I have been reading HP or even heard of it. I remember reading HP in school, in my reading class in the 7th grade, and my reading teaching was a minister's wife. Why does some associate HP with satanism? I can understand the whole magic thing and the Dark Lord Voldemort, but I don't see it as satanism. If they were to ever look around, they would see that HP is not the only books and movies that associate with magic and witchery, and I haven't heard any other fuss about any other books or movies as much as I have heard about HP.
Does anyone else feel the same as I do about this particular topic? Post and let me know your feelings.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:51 am
starr_child_of_dragons
by making this post I don't not mean to knock christianity at all. I support christianity and all those who practice it, but I have noticed some opinions based on christianity about Harry Potter. Most associate HP with satanism, and they are completely wrong.
My friend has told me that she has a friend online and her father is a minister.He caught her reading a Harry Potter book(#4, I think), and he immediately snatched it from her and either threw it away or he burned it. Either way he won't allow her to watch or read anything of the Harry Potter nature.
So now, my friend's friend must get another book and read it behind her father's back because of his closed mind.
I have heard the HP contraversy about satanism and such, as long as I have been reading HP or even heard of it. I remember reading HP in school, in my reading class in the 7th grade, and my reading teaching was a minister's wife. Why does some associate HP with satanism? I can understand the whole magic thing and the Dark Lord Voldemort, but I don't see it as satanism. If they were to ever look around, they would see that HP is not the only books and movies that associate with magic and witchery, and I haven't heard any other fuss about any other books or movies as much as I have heard about HP.
Does anyone else feel the same as I do about this particular topic? Post and let me know your feelings.

Pardon my french, but that sucks a**! The pope (John Paul II) approved the series, you know. Said something like 'it's good example of good vs. evil'. I'm not Christian myself...what do you follow?  

stupidity_in_action

monochan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:11 am
stupidity_in_action
starr_child_of_dragons

Pardon my french, but that sucks a**! The pope (John Paul II) approved the series, you know. Said something like 'it's good example of good vs. evil'. I'm not Christian myself...what do you follow?

yeah, it's not like His Dark Materials... in that book God wasn't an all powerful being and he was defeated... but I still read it!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:48 pm
monochan
stupidity_in_action
starr_child_of_dragons

yeah, it's not like His Dark Materials... in that book God wasn't an all powerful being and he was defeated... but I still read it!

There are extremists of every religion/belief... Some just get more publicity. -_-;; I'm a Catholic and I love both Harry Potter AND His Dark Materials. (Although HDM gets more and more Anti-Christian in each book sweatdrop ) You just have to take in stride and not take these things too seriously.  

dead.moki

non642

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:17 pm
I agree with dead.moki - there are extremists and they tend not to listen (hence the being extreme). Even HP fanatics can get overly touchy and go to extremes in their defense (I've seen forums where they just blame all Christians or religious when it is clear that is only small groups within the larger religion). People just need to be calm and realize that not everyone is going to agree.

And His Dark Materials is definately more anti-Christian. Shockingly so on the first read through.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:34 pm
Hm well I'm a Christian and I love HP and HDM. I think it just depends on the person. I'm pretty open minded I read or watch something before I say anything about it. domokun But eh I think it's bad that people don't let their kids make up their own mind about somethings first.  

Broken Black Shackles

Tipsy Fatcat

5,100 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Contributor 150

covo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:51 pm
Well in my opinion if you look beyond the magic in the books and movies you can see that they are really about friendship, relationships, and believing in yourself, the magic is just a hook. So if people are too stupid to read or realize the morals behind the magic in the books/movies, then they are just stupid! Oh well... everyone's human...it's in our nature to be stupid sometimes so it not worth getting mad about.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:56 am
the reason that the extreameists are getting all excited about the books is because of the "Witchcraft"

way back when the Roman Cathloic religion was trying to establish themselves they realized that the best way to convert people was to make their religion evil...

for example, Wicca the religion that is most associated with witchcraft... the missionaries, and such, said that Wicca was the reverse of Catholisism (excuse my spelling)... they said that Wiccans would pray on their head, sacrifice babies, and all that fun blah blah blah that still persists to this day... because they were the reverse of the Cathloic religion they therefore worshiped Satan because Satan is the opposite of their God

this isn't true... i'm a Wiccan so i know... it's an earthbound religion that it's main premise is "And harm ye none/ Do what ye will" (of course the Cathloic set forget the "And harm ye none part" making it seem like Wiccans were only out for themselves)...

if you actually take the time to look at the religions that use magic then you'll realize that there is none of it in the ENTIRE HP series as we believe it... so they just need to get a life

TA!
Marli

P.S.> any questions about Wicca feel free to PM me to ask... i'll either answer, or point you in the right direction... i promise that i won't try to convert anyone, that's part of the religion  

Marlaina

Pink_Sparkle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:46 am
Personally, I really don't see what all the fuss is about...I mean sure Voldemort is evil and a dark lord and everything, but the book isn't about joining him or practicing dark magic...The way I see it, The ministry, Harry, Ron, Hermione, the order, etc, are all fighting AGAINST evil, not WITH it! So if it teaches anything of the sort wouldn't it be more towards the 'stay away from the darkside' rather than the join it! I don't know....I just don't get it....  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Marlaina
the reason that the extreameists are getting all excited about the books is because of the "Witchcraft"

way back when the Roman Cathloic religion was trying to establish themselves they realized that the best way to convert people was to make their religion evil...

for example, Wicca the religion that is most associated with witchcraft... the missionaries, and such, said that Wicca was the reverse of Catholisism (excuse my spelling)... they said that Wiccans would pray on their head, sacrifice babies, and all that fun blah blah blah that still persists to this day... because they were the reverse of the Cathloic religion they therefore worshiped Satan because Satan is the opposite of their God

this isn't true... i'm a Wiccan so i know... it's an earthbound religion that it's main premise is "And harm ye none/ Do what ye will" (of course the Cathloic set forget the "And harm ye none part" making it seem like Wiccans were only out for themselves)...

if you actually take the time to look at the religions that use magic then you'll realize that there is none of it in the ENTIRE HP series as we believe it... so they just need to get a life

TA!
Marli

P.S.> any questions about Wicca feel free to PM me to ask... i'll either answer, or point you in the right direction... i promise that i won't try to convert anyone, that's part of the religion

I agree to your statement 100% I practice the wicca religion as well. And boy do i get to hear about it enough! I think that its really just a big misconception. People grow up watching movies that portray magic as 'evil' and 'wicked'. When they go to read Harry Potter, JK shatters this conception totally. She dosen't stick with the stereotypical 'witchcraft is bad' and instead puts it in the good light. This probably is what upsets alot of people, because they want to believe whate theyve been told all their lives by their churches and the television. So either they close thier minds and refuse to listen or accept the diffrent viewpoint.  

mystikdreamer

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200

[Taste_Of_Chaos]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:12 am
I really think the ppl who say HP is evil, are really closed-minded and pig headed. My grandma was going to buy me a HP journal at the dollar store, and some old guy was like "You're not gonna get that are you? It's EVIL! SATAN WORSHIP!". stare

I have a few wiccan friends, and they are certainly not evil.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:15 am
It's all just yet another example of self-righteous, narrow-minded people judging something before they fully understand it, or sometimes because they don't understand it. I'm not blaming any one group of people or religion (although I have stated before that I have my own issues with religion, specifically certain Christians and Catholics). The way that magic, real-life magic, is thought of in our society is horrendous! Just because someone decided hundreds of years ago that they didn't like something or someone we're supposed to follow that now? It's been shown countless times throughout history and, unfortunately, still happens today! Just look at racism, homosexuality, etc.  

willowtree
Captain

Miss Diedre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:18 am
My opinion is that people who are Christian think that everyone who believes like they do will like all the same things.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:27 pm
I think the whole deal is about christian parents having there kids reading it, then the parents would be afraid for them to switch religions and join paganizm(wich I have done, but not under the books influence((although I still belive in god and such)) But mainly that's the concern/argument with the book, but I dont think it's evil of anykind, it's just a fantasy, nothing to fear.  

tailim2

Pow in the Wow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:34 pm
well LOL i'm catholic, and i read harry potter books... whuts wrong wif readin harry potter books, juss bcus of ur religion? u can do w/e u like, just no illegal stuff lol.  
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games