Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Anyone ever read... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:34 pm
hippiepoet1964
-Swamp Sparrow-
Depending on which movie you saw, it could have been awful. The version I watched had me laughing hysterically at the out-of-place music in the backround.

I'm thinking I saw the movie back in the 80's and I found it disturbing. About a group of boys who turn all mean and violent?? I should google it. I don't remember watching the whole movie. burning_eyes

You've got it. The entire book was so messed up I could hardly stand it. I watched a black and white version of the film, and spent most of the movie with my head cocked to side going "Why do they have 4-H music in the background?" The book was better, but not much.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:33 pm
The first time I read Lord of the Flies, I hated it with a passion. I reread it again a few months later on a flight from Portland, OR to Manila, Philippines. I've just got to admit, I loved it. It may not be my favorite book ever written, but it was still pretty darn good.  

dark_moon_priestess

Kittenfleas

Ruthless Fatcat

9,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:52 pm
Sadly,i have yet to read either of the ones you have mentioned. But, They are going straight to my 'To Buy' book list ^^

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:58 pm
The only one I've read from the list is Lord of the Flies, and I was impressed with it. Its one of my favorites actually.  

High5MyRemix

Rhaegar14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:00 pm
Haven't read either of the first two, but I loved Lord of the Flies. I thought it was an absolutely fantastic book, and it introduced me to the true intricacies of metaphor, irony, realism, and in general the until-high-school-hidden intricacies of literature.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:08 am
Well, I've read them all but since everyone is commenting on Lord of the Flies, I'll talk about The Jungle. Everyone always talks about how it's so disgusting that it will make you want to turn into a vegetarian; I didn't think it was that bad. Yes, it was pretty disgusting listening to how they made the food but you knew as you were reading the book that Sinclair was describing how they made food back then, not how it's made today.

The Jungle is still worth reading so that you know what it was like back then and also how the workers lived. However, I think that anyone who reads The Jungle needs to read Chew On This right afterwards. It's a short book but it still has enough in it about how food is made today to make sure that you never want to eat meat again. If only I didn't hate all things green and leafy... Anyone ever heard of a fruitetarian?  

Annikaya

Elanchana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am
But how quickly we forget
Such a sure and perfect plan,
And unlearn the passions that once had burned.

I've read Lord of the Flies for English class. It was okay, but the symbolism confused me too much. I'd like to sit down and read a story, not sit down and read about society disguised as a story.

But how could I have seen?
What was I to do?
How could I know I would find you?
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:12 pm
hippiepoet1964
-Swamp Sparrow-
Depending on which movie you saw, it could have been awful. The version I watched had me laughing hysterically at the out-of-place music in the backround.

I'm thinking I saw the movie back in the 80's and I found it disturbing. About a group of boys who turn all mean and violent?? I should google it. I don't remember watching the whole movie. burning_eyes

Never judge a book by its movie!

Both Lord of the Flies movies are awful, but if you have to watch one, the old Black and White 1963 movie is better. Don't bother with the other one, it does not follow the book.

I read The Jungle back in high school. I still remember it as being a book that held my attention and sparked my interest in reading. This was ... years ago.  

Obiageli

Literature

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces