Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Umm... Awoke?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:42 pm
He has waked... He has awoke... He will awaken... He will wake...

I just don't get it? Why are there diferent words that can be used in the same place and mean the same things? Am I doing something wrong? I'm so befudled...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 pm
FeelinShiny
He has waked... He has awoke... He will awaken... He will wake...

I just don't get it? Why are there diferent words that can be used in the same place and mean the same things? Am I doing something wrong? I'm so befudled...

He was waked = sometime in the past, he was disturbed from sleep.

He has awoke = just now, he was disturbed from sleep.

He will awaken = He will wake (though this is a little bizarre) = sometime in the future, he will be disturbed from sleep.  

The Man who was Thursday

Ariomness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:39 pm
For the first one: That one just sounds odd to be. "Waked." Yes, it's a real word, but an odd sounding word... I would prefer to say "He was awoken." Or something. "He was waked" sounds so informal and strange. It makes "waked" sound like some sort of blunt instrument hitting somebody repeatedly.
But that's just me.
Anywaaay...
Yes. The English language insists on being irritatingly complicated and having a hundred different words and phrases that all inevitably mean the same thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:58 pm
Ariomness
Yes. The English language insists on being irritatingly complicated and having a hundred different words and phrases that all inevitably mean the same thing.

I've been advocating the benefits of newspeak for a long time. I mean why call someone loquacious when you could just call them double-plus-wordy.

Hate synonyms? Here's why newspeak is for you:

Wikipedia
Basic principles of Newspeak

To remove synonyms
The basic idea behind Newspeak was to remove all shades of meaning from language, leaving simple dichotomies (pleasure and pain, happiness and sadness, good thoughts and thoughtcrimes) which reinforce the total dominance of the State. Similarly, Newspeak root words served as both nouns and verbs, which allowed further reduction in the total number of words; for example, "think" served as both noun and verb, so the word "thought" was unneeded and could be abolished. A staccato rhythm of short syllables was also a goal, further reducing the need for deep thinking about language. (See duckspeak.) Successful Newspeak meant that there would be fewer and fewer words -- dictionaries would get thinner and thinner.

In addition, words with opposite meanings were removed as redundant, so "bad" became "ungood." Words with comparative and superlative meanings were also simplified, so "better" became "gooder", and "best" likewise became "goodest". Intensifiers could be added, so "great" became "plusgood", and "excellent" or "splendid" likewise became "doubleplusgood." Adjectives were formed by adding the suffix "-ful" to a root word (e.g. "goodthinkful", orthodox in thought), and adverbs by adding "-wise" ("goodthinkwise", in an orthodox manner). In this manner, as many words as possible were removed from the language. The ultimate aim of Newspeak was to reduce even the dichotomies to a single word that was a "yes" of some sort: an obedient word with which everyone answered affirmatively to what was asked of them.

See, all that complexity and depth of meaning is gone with newspeak. Just, please, for the sake of everyone, don't pay any attention to the fact that the other aim of newspeak is to control and prevent thought. Let us worry about that.  

[Mammon]

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:09 am
That's funny about Newspeak. A friend and I just had a conversation on thought-control through language. Reducing ideas to simple dichotomies just leads to improper ways of perceiving everything (or how you think of it, anyways).

As for the words, saying "he waked up" does sound weird. I think of it in terms of "he woke up" and such. It's the same for words like 'sneak' and 'hang'. There's the idea of the strong verb changing your stem, as from shine to shone, rather than just adding the past-tense ending.

It is confusing without thinking of it like this (at least for me it is), but I have German to thank for helping me with the verb thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:26 pm
Well thanks for that... I feel better about using these words now, seeing as they all meen the same thing. I'm glad English is my first language, it would've been hard to leard if I already had known something else.  

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Caleb Hellforge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:54 pm
Ariomness
For the first one: That one just sounds odd to be. "Waked." Yes, it's a real word, but an odd sounding word... I would prefer to say "He was awoken." Or something. "He was waked" sounds so informal and strange. It makes "waked" sound like some sort of blunt instrument hitting somebody repeatedly.
But that's just me.
Anywaaay...

Spanish is worse.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:42 pm
Have you tried French? They never pronounce consonants and have about 10 deferent ways to make the sound 'oo' confused  

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:18 am
The alarm clock woke him up. He was awakened by the alarm clock. The alarm clock will wake him up. The alarm clock will awaken. I believe all of these are acceptable.

deferent different

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:56 pm
[Mammon]
Ariomness

I've been advocating the benefits of newspeak for a long time. I mean why call someone loquacious when you could just call them double-plus-wordy.

Hate synonyms? Here's why newspeak is for you:

Wikipedia
Basic principles of Newspeak

To remove synonyms
The basic idea behind Newspeak was to remove all shades of meaning from language, leaving simple dichotomies (pleasure and pain, happiness and sadness, good thoughts and thoughtcrimes) which reinforce the total dominance of the State. Similarly, Newspeak root words served as both nouns and verbs, which allowed further reduction in the total number of words; for example, "think" served as both noun and verb, so the word "thought" was unneeded and could be abolished. A staccato rhythm of short syllables was also a goal, further reducing the need for deep thinking about language. (See duckspeak.) Successful Newspeak meant that there would be fewer and fewer words -- dictionaries would get thinner and thinner.

In addition, words with opposite meanings were removed as redundant, so "bad" became "ungood." Words with comparative and superlative meanings were also simplified, so "better" became "gooder", and "best" likewise became "goodest". Intensifiers could be added, so "great" became "plusgood", and "excellent" or "splendid" likewise became "doubleplusgood." Adjectives were formed by adding the suffix "-ful" to a root word (e.g. "goodthinkful", orthodox in thought), and adverbs by adding "-wise" ("goodthinkwise", in an orthodox manner). In this manner, as many words as possible were removed from the language. The ultimate aim of Newspeak was to reduce even the dichotomies to a single word that was a "yes" of some sort: an obedient word with which everyone answered affirmatively to what was asked of them.

See, all that complexity and depth of meaning is gone with newspeak. Just, please, for the sake of everyone, don't pay any attention to the fact that the other aim of newspeak is to control and prevent thought. Let us worry about that.

I hope I'm not the only one who knows where the reference of "Newspeak" comes from?  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

[Mammon]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:58 pm
DarkElf27
I hope I'm not the only one who knows where the reference of "Newspeak" comes from?

Of course you're not. You can join the rest of the people who know where it comes from at the party we're throwing for them in Room 101.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:48 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
The alarm clock woke him up. He was awakened by the alarm clock. The alarm clock will wake him up. The alarm clock will awaken. I believe all of these are acceptable.

deferent different

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.

Shouldn't the last one be "The alarm clock will awaken him"?  

Zealot of Insanity

Missy Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 pm
Vadatajs
Ariomness
But that's just me.
Anywaaay...

Spanish is worse.

Oh, don't remind me...
The worst are the words that are almost like the english word, but you have to pronounce it with the spanish accents.

IT'S THE SAME WORD, WHY CAN'T I JUST SAY IT LIKE I WOULD NORMALLY?! scream  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff