Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Need knitted gift ideas~ >_<;; kinda need help fastish XDD

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psycho Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:52 pm
okay so right now I'm working on a scarf for my grandmother up in Idaho... and if things go well~ I should have it done by tomorrow afternoon (and this is only after I started Sunday afternoon biggrin ) EDIT: Actually, I just finished XD and lets just say... NO MORE SCARVES EVER... or untill a few weeks XD garter stitch for like... 36 inches+ is soooo boring and killed my wrists and fingers dead...

but I wanna knit something fast and easy for my folks...

My dad works outside in grease and muck and dirt and filth... hes a mechanic(sp?) so gloves would get torn up and eaten away... scarf isn't the best idea... I was thinking beanie... but when dad came home with a 'skunk' stripe on his hair (which is grey... so brownish grease/oil in the hair is noticeable) made me think that over... what could I make the guy?

my mom works in the OBGYN or what ever it is in Sutter Regional... shes the chick that calls you in and takes like weight and temp and also assists the doc... I dunno about the dress code besides scrubs and no halloween costumes on halloween... she works alot with pregnaunt women and I guess children... ... so I'm at a total lost to what to knit for her also...

so... yeah... help...?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:18 am
Honestly for your dad I wouldnt make him anything actually wearable. What does he do to relax when he gets home?

I'm not really sure bout your mom either sweatdrop Maybe she'd appreciate a purse?  

gemini6184

firrantello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:46 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
What about a brown or black hat for your dad? that would hide grease. just make sure it's of washable materials.
a bag maybe for your mom, or i've seen patterns for knitted jewelry... that might be cool. or something knitted and attach it to a hair clip so she can wear it in her hair? like a flower or something?

also, try doing some lace scarves, they aren't quite so boring smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:43 am
firrantello
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
What about a brown or black hat for your dad? that would hide grease. just make sure it's of washable materials.
a bag maybe for your mom, or i've seen patterns for knitted jewelry... that might be cool. or something knitted and attach it to a hair clip so she can wear it in her hair? like a flower or something?

also, try doing some lace scarves, they aren't quite so boring smile

But they take freakin forever. mad d

For your dad i'd try doing something he could use while relaxing or doing other things where they wouldn't get so dirty.

For your mom, i'd suggest something that she can wear when she goes out. I would guess that her dress code is similar to my best friend's mom's... she can wear pins on her scrubs, no bracelets (unless its one of those jade ones you can't take off, though she didn't have one at that point) no gloves, scarfs, hats, or pretty much anything. My advice there - go with something that she can put on when she's doing things like grocery shopping, or other common activites that don't include work.

What kinds of things do your parents wear? how cold does it get where you are?
Suggestions:

Dad - If it gets really cold, you could make him a seed stitch scarf (it looks really nice) using a big yarn and big needles. Takes like no time. If he wears hats, make him a beanie, esspecially if he has a favorite sports team you could put on it.

Mom - this one all depends on what she wears. Theres alot out there.... I don't know much on the knit side for girls. sweatdrop i normally crochet. I'm sure if you look around you could find a nice hat pattern, a pretty scarf, something. My MAIN suggestion - find a yarn you want to use, then (if you're at a yarn store) ask the people there if they have any suggestions. If your not at a yarn store, i dunno.... make your dad take you? Ask him if he thinks your mom would like a hat made out of this? or do you think a scarf out of this? or maybe gloves out of this one?  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Psycho Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:44 am
well, I have black homespun... but I can't find any beanie patterns that are... guyish XD the lionbrand website doesn't have any manly patterns for homespun :/  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:04 am
Psycho Butterfly
well, I have black homespun... but I can't find any beanie patterns that are... guyish XD the lionbrand website doesn't have any manly patterns for homespun :/

Personally i like homespun in scarves. Straight up garter stitch.

For a beanie i'd recomend a normal worsted weight yarn, like simply soft or something.
*waits for firra-chan to pop up with a beautiful pattern*

If you're really wanting to make a beanie out of the homespun, figure out your gauge. This could be hard (i mean, have you seen how that stuff knits?) but it will let you use a pattern made for a different yarn, as long as the gauge is right.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

gemini6184

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:42 am
Psycho Butterfly
as long as the pattern calls for a bulky yarn you shouldnt have any problems. try knittingpatterncentral.com or knitty.com 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:25 am
Mikono
Psycho Butterfly

Personally i like homespun in scarves. Straight up garter stitch.

For a beanie i'd recomend a normal worsted weight yarn, like simply soft or something.

If you're really wanting to make a beanie out of the homespun, figure out your gauge. This could be hard (i mean, have you seen how that stuff knits?) but it will let you use a pattern made for a different yarn, as long as the gauge is right.

yeah XD I know how it knits... the scarf I was making is out of homespun (willamsburg is a pretty color~ ) and its soft... so I guess its the best for scarves XD  

Psycho Butterfly

Maer^ier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:43 pm
If it's taking forever to finish scarves, I reccommend speed sticks. I finished a 6ft scarf in less than 2 hours on 35s, and my sister LOVES it.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:12 pm
Mikono
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.*snort* you know me too well. ok, fine... i didn't have these in mind before reading that, what do you mean? ninja
halfdome was designed for a guy. you could knit topi in some basic colors, make the brim a little bigger maybe? headhuggers, while being designed for chemo patients, features some nice hats for both men and women (crochet and knit both). but my favorite EVER pattern isthe vanilla beanie. i knit really tightly so i've found casting on 100 instead of 70 works much better for me. but this chart might help you too with the vanilla beanie.

firrantello

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:28 am
firrantello
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.*snort* you know me too well. ok, fine... i didn't have these in mind before reading that, what do you mean? ninja
halfdome was designed for a guy. you could knit topi in some basic colors, make the brim a little bigger maybe? headhuggers, while being designed for chemo patients, features some nice hats for both men and women (crochet and knit both). but my favorite EVER pattern isthe vanilla beanie. i knit really tightly so i've found casting on 100 instead of 70 works much better for me. but this chart might help you too with the vanilla beanie.

3nodding Pretty hat patterns. blaugh

The vanilla beanie is almost perfect for what i had in mind, that circular hat pattern (while the charts currently confuse me, i just woke up) looks like it would be useful - lots of different gauges.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:32 pm
If you don't want to knit your dad a wearable, perhaps a cushion or pillow would be nice? Especially one that's a good size for him to rest his feet on?

As for your mom, I'd recommend a small bag or purse. If she can't wear it to work, she can wear it when she's out shopping.

Good luck!  

Brunette_Star

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:35 pm
Psycho Butterfly
okay so right now I'm working on a scarf for my grandmother up in Idaho... and if things go well~ I should have it done by tomorrow afternoon (and this is only after I started Sunday afternoon biggrin ) EDIT: Actually, I just finished XD and lets just say... NO MORE SCARVES EVER... or untill a few weeks XD garter stitch for like... 36 inches+ is soooo boring and killed my wrists and fingers dead...

but I wanna knit something fast and easy for my folks...

My dad works outside in grease and muck and dirt and filth... hes a mechanic(sp?) so gloves would get torn up and eaten away... scarf isn't the best idea... I was thinking beanie... but when dad came home with a 'skunk' stripe on his hair (which is grey... so brownish grease/oil in the hair is noticeable) made me think that over... what could I make the guy?

my mom works in the OBGYN or what ever it is in Sutter Regional... shes the chick that calls you in and takes like weight and temp and also assists the doc... I dunno about the dress code besides scrubs and no halloween costumes on halloween... she works alot with pregnaunt women and I guess children... ... so I'm at a total lost to what to knit for her also...

so... yeah... help...?
maybe for your mom, you can make a strechy headband thiny for her hair or something. and for your dad, they do have some durable yarn/fiber items that you can make into more durable items, or makes something to help him clean up when he gets back, like a washcloth or something. just a suggetsion hope this helps.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:53 pm
id recommend a dark colored beanie for your dad. and for your mom maybe a tote for when she goes grocery shopping? maybe use circular needles and sew the bottom, and the strap(s)? just an idea. and if you do that knit a row purl a row, then it doesnt give as much.  

Holy Fundip

fashionista468

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:53 pm
I would suggest an ipod or cell phone case......i can send you the pattern via pm if you like........  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games