View Results

Sugar Spirit

3,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:50 am
GilAskan
Global warming could be a serious problem, but the media far overblows the issue.

They do not overblow it! I live in Norway, and I see the consequenses of this! 15 years ago there was snow up to second floor of my house! But now I barely see any snow on the mountains, and has been like that a few years now! Its freaking scary how fast the clima is changing! gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:40 pm
zz1000zz
I find it interesting how certain people are of their position, when most know little of the subject. For example, proponents of global warming like to show video of glaciers melting. The problem is the Antarctic ice mass is increasing. The most known source about global warming is An Inconvienent Truth, yet a good deal of it can be easily disproven.

Is global warming real? Perhaps, but it is certainly not proven. To be proven, a theory must have evidence supporting it. Next it must be defended when alternative theories and/or evidence are offered. Supporters of the global warming theory have not done this. Not because they lack the evidence, but because a debate on global warming has not happened.

People let their personal and political viewpoints interfere with the scientific process. This type of thing has caused millions of deaths in the past (the DDT bans). The simple truth is you are not qualified to determine the validity of the global warming theory. You do not have the training or the knowledge to justify picking a side.

I can argue either side of this issue, but ultimately it would be pointless. We simply do not have any way to determine which side is correct.

but you see its not JUST a theory it has been proven. average temperatures around the world the HAVE increased over time. we know this because we have these awsome little devices called thermometers.
we didn't just say "hm i think its hotter than it used to be!"
it really is happening, it's not debatable. the sides aren't 'is it true' vs. 'is it not true' the real arguments is how, why its happening and what do we do about it.

now, what IS debatable though is whether or not it is a natural process or caused by humans and whether or not we can fix it. those are the theories. there is evidence to say that it is caused by us but there is also evidence to say that it is natural as well. and its quite possible that it is both. the earth is on a billion-something year cycle of getting really hot then really cold, but its happening a lot quicker than its supposed to. which is why its a problem.

before you say that anyone is just picking a side why don't you read some news first and get some knowledge about it. there ARE ways to prove it, there are ways to determine which "side" is correct. the simple truth is that you obviously don't watch/listen/read news. which means that you definetely don't have the training or knowledge to justify picking a side and so you could not argue either side of the issue.

here are some sites that you should take a look at before you continue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3266833.stm
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Library/GlobalWarming/warming2.html  

A Dark Knight

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:07 pm
The most record-high temperatures we've experienced have all occured in the last 14 years...

so yes, there is definitely something to fear in this.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:46 am
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

Global Warming is unavoidable it is simply us humans, destroying ourselves in a different method, we can't stop it, and by the time, the worst of it comes, we'll all be six feet under.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Dante Omura

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:31 am
A Dark Knight
zz1000zz
I find it interesting how certain people are of their position, when most know little of the subject. For example, proponents of global warming like to show video of glaciers melting. The problem is the Antarctic ice mass is increasing. The most known source about global warming is An Inconvienent Truth, yet a good deal of it can be easily disproven.

Is global warming real? Perhaps, but it is certainly not proven. To be proven, a theory must have evidence supporting it. Next it must be defended when alternative theories and/or evidence are offered. Supporters of the global warming theory have not done this. Not because they lack the evidence, but because a debate on global warming has not happened.

People let their personal and political viewpoints interfere with the scientific process. This type of thing has caused millions of deaths in the past (the DDT bans). The simple truth is you are not qualified to determine the validity of the global warming theory. You do not have the training or the knowledge to justify picking a side.

I can argue either side of this issue, but ultimately it would be pointless. We simply do not have any way to determine which side is correct.

but you see its not JUST a theory it has been proven. average temperatures around the world the HAVE increased over time. we know this because we have these awsome little devices called thermometers.
we didn't just say "hm i think its hotter than it used to be!"
it really is happening, it's not debatable. the sides aren't 'is it true' vs. 'is it not true' the real arguments is how, why its happening and what do we do about it.

Actually not. Increased average temperatures around the world does not prove global warming. An increase in the global average temperature would, but there is nothing to show that with certainty.

The difference is this. Average temperatures in a hundred cities may have increased over the last twnety years. This would not mean Earth is getting hotter, it would mean *those* hundred cities are getting hotter. There is not enough evidence to conclude the Earth is getting hotter overall, as there are large areas of the earth which are not studied.

Also, saying something is not debateable goes against the scientific process. The theories of gravity itself are still debateable, and no good scientist would disagree.

A Dark Knight
now, what IS debatable though is whether or not it is a natural process or caused by humans and whether or not we can fix it. those are the theories. there is evidence to say that it is caused by us but there is also evidence to say that it is natural as well. and its quite possible that it is both. the earth is on a billion-something year cycle of getting really hot then really cold, but its happening a lot quicker than its supposed to. which is why its a problem.

Again, there simply is not enough evidence to *prove* this. It may be true, but there is enough evidence stating otherwise that the topic needs to be debated.

A Dark Knight
before you say that anyone is just picking a side why don't you read some news first and get some knowledge about it. there ARE ways to prove it, there are ways to determine which "side" is correct. the simple truth is that you obviously don't watch/listen/read news. which means that you definetely don't have the training or knowledge to justify picking a side and so you could not argue either side of the issue.

Read some news? Since when is science debated in the news? Nevermind your blatant ad hominem attacks which completely discredit your position, this is the most absurd argument anyone has ever told me.

How about this. Instead of watching the television for information on global warming, how about i go read the five hundred different scientific studies published on it in the last year? Studies made by scientists might be a bit better for evidence then the news, eh?

Oh wait, i already did that. And you know what? The situation is inconclusive.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:43 pm
This whole idea of global warming really bites, snow is so hard to come by now in Wisconsin. It looks like its gonna be another green and raining Christmas after all.  

Ham-Kun

5,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items